PDA

View Full Version : Skywest's Recruiting in a spin !!!

DutyofCare
22nd Jun 2011, 02:21
Skywest's 2nd round of recruiting for their new ATR's is in a spin after the recent ash cloud grounded many flights into ML yesterday.
They were planning on conducting interviews around this time, but many hopefuls where unable to attend due to cancelled flights.
This comes on top of many people choosing to not attend due to short notice of interview opportunities in ML.
There's a case of a Dash8 Capt based in BRM whom choose to cancel his interview due to the 1 weeks notice given.
The high cost of attendance being the other major factor & also stories coming from pilots whom where already commited to current rosters.
Those unable to attend were told that this is the last round of recruitment for this year.
Many other hopefuls are puzzled that their CV's haven't been receipted by the Skywest recruitment team. :confused::confused::confused:
Surely a reply from this team is the least this group could do to keep their branding strong ???
The hopeful uptake of qualified ATR crews from within ANZ has been disappointing so far.
It seems to be another example of HR having the hit-n-miss approach to something as important as recruiting. :=:=:=
It's a shame that such a good airline as Skywest is, has been let down by being behind the ball.
I'm sure Mr Wilkinson won't be happy with what's happened over the last couple of weeks. :(:(:(
C'mon Skywest, keep image strong by doing the small things right.

empacher48
22nd Jun 2011, 02:45
Rather interesting. I don't believe there will be many NM captains who will up sticks and move across the ditch - their conditions are far too good in NZ to even think about leaving!

Those in the mid to low F/O ranks who are looking at about 6 - 10 years to their commands may be looking at going, just so they can get a command pretty quick.

But more Skywest interviews in Christchurch this weekend - if they get there, maybe a few more NM crews there.

waren9
22nd Jun 2011, 04:46
Exactly what empacher said.

You'd be doing well to get a NM Capt to move. Earthquakes aside. F/O's looking for a faster command will be about it.

neville_nobody
22nd Jun 2011, 05:24
Welcome to the world of airline HR......other than the ash cloud debacle everything else in your post is ops normal for an airline. Get used to it.

mattyj
22nd Jun 2011, 09:20
Some Cook Captains might have had one too many aftershocks..only so much a family can take!!

Sqwark2000
24th Jun 2011, 10:56
8-9 NM crew interviewing with SkyWest tomorrow..... not all of them are F/O's.

Skywest interviewers were enroute on a ANZ flight as of 1400hrs today, so all should be fine for tomorrow.

Personally, I'm a 4yr ATR FO with another 4-6yrs before command, but i'm not looking at another ATR gig..... yet.

S2K

Chadzat
24th Jun 2011, 11:01
Personally, I'm a 4yr ATR FO with another 4-6yrs before command, but i'm not looking at another ATR gig..... yet.

You must have the patience of a saint!

kiwilad
24th Jun 2011, 11:06
Cook is the best regional job in NZ by miles IMHO. Some of the longer serving had to wait 12-13yrs to command.
Will be interesting to see how many jump, heard only 5 cookers interviewing, all hush hush here.

maui
24th Jun 2011, 23:37
Chadtzat

Or perhaps, unlike the typically impetuous Gen y, he values the opportunity and skills a moderately long apprenticship, under the mentoring of mature, experienced, stable, commanders, will afford him.

I dips my lid.

Maui

empacher48
25th Jun 2011, 00:56
To also add to what Maui said. If an airline treats their staff right, have the right culture and pay them well. They will stay..

All I'm waiting for is the call to start, even that can take a few years!

wessex19
25th Jun 2011, 00:58
Just curious, does Mt Cook pay super???

kiwilad
25th Jun 2011, 01:13
Yes they do pay super.