PDA

View Full Version : B.A Airbus A318 G-EUNA at JFK. Any ideas?

Noah Zark.
21st Jun 2011, 21:57
I was at the B.A. terminal at JFK on Monday afternoon, waiting for the evening flight to Heathrow, when the Airbus described above taxiied up the the gate alongside a B.A. 747.
I couldn't see much of it once it had stopped, so don't know if any Pax or luggage were off/onloaded.
Does anyone know what it was doing there? Is the type used regularly to JFK, and if so, where from? It just appeared so out of place, across the Atlantic.
Any info, just out of interest much appreciated.

Airclues
21st Jun 2011, 22:09
It operates to JFK from London City (LCY) via Shannon, returning direct to London City (all Club config).

Noah Zark.
21st Jun 2011, 22:15
On the ball! Thanks Dave.

Stu666
22nd Jun 2011, 07:40
Lots more info here: http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/383019-g-euna-ba-a318.html

Noah Zark.
22nd Jun 2011, 16:17
Thanks for the info, guys.

Doors to Automatic
23rd Jun 2011, 18:44
N Z search for it on You Tube too to see the challenging landing it makes at London City (short runway/steep approach) :)

D120A
23rd Jun 2011, 19:05
N Z, that service really shows a bit of inspired lateral thinking by BA. BA persuaded the US Customs people to put a representative at Shannon. Thus, while the Airbus is top-up refuelling there, the passengers are able to clear US customs and immigration. As far as JFK is concerned, the aircraft arrives as a local US flight and the pax have no formalities to clear - they just smile at the queues and go on their way. The Shannon stop takes less time that the journey from the city to Heathrow, too, so it's a double win-win. BA even give it the old Concorde flight number, Speedbird 1.

I am not a BA employee, nor even much of a fan, but I doff my hat on that one. Anybody know the load factor BA are now achieving?

west lakes
23rd Jun 2011, 19:13
Bear in mind that there are two flights daily the other using G-EUNB and the max load is 36 per flight.
As far as I know loads are good as a lot of the seats were pre-sold to a major bank who were involved with the instigation of the flights

Call signs are Speedbird 1 to 4

Ringwayman
23rd Jun 2011, 19:34
I'm sure the SNN customs thing predates BA operating through there by a considerable time. That it is was in place was an added advantage when they were deciding which airport would be used for the onward sector to JFK.

mutt
25th Jun 2011, 03:33
BA persuaded the US Customs people to put a representative at Shannon Sorry but that's untrue..... US Immigration services started in Ireland around the late 1980's....

Wangja
25th Jun 2011, 03:40
Immigration at Shannon I understand. Arriving as a domestic flight I understand.

But customs? Is baggage offloaded for inspection?

Flightmech
25th Jun 2011, 21:09
As Mutt says, the US immigration at SNN was not set up for BA. I believe the US troops clear immigration in SNN on the way back home too and have done for many years.

D120A
25th Jun 2011, 23:07
Thanks for the corrections to my post #7. Keep 'em coming! :ok:

RobertS975
26th Jun 2011, 04:37
My understanding was that the pax clear immigration at SNN but that they were still liable for CBP luggage inspection at JFK.

eireoflot82
26th Jun 2011, 13:08
Full CBP has been available at Shannon since August 2009.

clareview
26th Jun 2011, 19:08
The BA 318's clear US immigration and customs at Shannon. Most Flights from Dublin and Shannon to elsewhere in the US (Delta, US Air, Continental, American and of course Aer Lingus) such as Newark, JFK, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Orlando, Chicago, Boston and Atlanta do this and I can tell you it is quick and saves a lot of time stateside. There are a couple of exceptions - afternoon flights from Dublin e.g Aer Lingus to Boston at 2pm as the clearance facility seems to be morning only.

Immigration has been this way for donkeys years but coustoms only added at Shannon in 2009 and Dublin recently with the opening of terminal 2.

D120A
27th Jun 2011, 07:11
So, for those who live out in the sticks in UK and would normally travel to London, staying in a Heathrow or Gatwick hotel the night before their flight to the USA, there is an alternative of flying from a UK regional to Dublin or Shannon the afternoon before. Then a stay in, dare I say it, a much more welcoming Irish hotel, followed the next morning by a shorter and easier flight to the USA!

This is a HUGE marketing opportunity for the beleaguered Irish economy. I hope someone in Dublin is on the case.

clareview
27th Jun 2011, 07:21
Clearance at Dublin is probably one of the key reasons that there are fewer flights now than a few years ago from BFS to Florida and that the Continental BFS-EWR route is not doing so well (though it is also affected by the £60 APD tax whereas it is €3 at Dublin