PDA

View Full Version : Flight test experience requirements

manoj999
21st Jun 2011, 16:32
How much is the experience level required (in general) for a flight test engineer to undertake independent developmental/experimental flight testing for a prototype aircraft, in companies like Lokheed Martin, Antonov, Dassault, Eembraer etc?

Mad (Flt) Scientist
21st Jun 2011, 17:08
I would be shocked if any large OEM had an FTE conduct "independent" flight testing. Most large organizations will have a process which involves many hands, for both safety and commercial reasons. Even if only one FTE was involved in a specific test, there will be all manner of others involved, be they design engineers, service engineers, flight crew, etc.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Jun 2011, 17:11
When I worked fulltime on kitplanes with 1 or 2 seats we'd still normally have a team of 4-6 and authority oversight.

Nobody works independently in flight test. At-least, not on anything that matters.

G

manoj999
23rd Jun 2011, 12:49
thanks for your response and I agree with you. Of course flight testing is a team effort. But what I want to know, that do any such organisation recruit a fresh FTE and give them an independent prototype project (without any other FTE in the team).

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jun 2011, 18:22
Prototype projects are few and far between, and rarely done by a single FTE under any circumstances, even on light aeroplanes - certainly not on bigger stuff.

I was running small trials about a year after starting at Boscombe Down as the main FTE, growing to quite significant trials after a couple of years.

I have run prototype programmes as an FTE, the first one was probably 6 years after I first started working full time in Flight Test, and that was on a light aeroplane - I doubt I'd have got anything much bigger at that stage in my career.

Series aeroplanes are routinely done by one TP and one FTE in most environments, but again a pretty experienced FTE.

G

FTE Pruner
24th Jun 2011, 11:19
By fresh FTE do you mean someone who has just graduated from one of the recognised Test Pilot Schools, or do you mean someone who is just out of university who aspires to become an FTE?

dangermouse
24th Jun 2011, 15:00
There are many FTEs in the world that have never done a 'recognised' course, but have gained experience in the world of Flight Test in industry and carried on to run major (and multinational) projects from initial flights to out of service.

As with any responsible job you allocate properly skilled people to do the activity, and that may mean much more than a paper qualification. In the Flight Test world experience is the most valuable asset you can have.

DM

BossEyed
24th Jun 2011, 17:32
In the Flight Test world experience is the most valuable asset you can have.

I couldn't agree more. Tell it to the Management!

The recognised courses give one an immersion in, and exposure to, a wide breadth of experience in a concentrated form which would take years to achieve on the job, but until that has been consolidated by depth of experience neither a tp or an FTE should sensibly be tasked to undertake the more challenging test programmes.

It's also very true that an effective test team is far more than the TP(s) and FTE(s), who won't be able to do it alone even for a fairly small job. They will, though, be responsible for setting the direction, efficiency and effectiveness of the programme.

FTE Pruner
25th Jun 2011, 13:28
There are many FTEs in the world that have never done a 'recognised' course, but have gained experience in the world of Flight Test in industry and carried on to run major (and multinational) projects from initial flights to out of service.

I completely agree, but knowing the background of the OP helps to answer the question posed. The level of on-the-job exposure required for a Graduate FTE (post graduation) vs. a Non-Graduate FTE may be quite different. Therefore I think the question is valid.

Would a Graduate FTE just out of TPS be expected to run a high complexity high risk flight trial with minimal supervision? No, probably not (not least because flight testing is a team effort). But he would be a lot closer to achieving that theoretical goal than someone who has done on-the-job FTO/FTE training for 5 years since graduating from university.

Pruner

FTE Pruner
25th Jun 2011, 15:46
Is it not a compromise on flight safety?

I suggest that only you and your line manager will know the answer to that (based upon the synergy between this new task and the tasks you have already done). If you feel out of your comfort zone then as a professional, you must flag it up.

A lot of this will also depend upon the experience of your TP team mates.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jun 2011, 16:05
I'd be inclined to ask also what other backup is there- if you have, for example, a couple of really experienced TPs dedicated to the task, and an available greybeard line manager - should be fine in most cases, and enjoy the responsibility.

Best thing to do in any case, is have the "are you sure I'm ready for this, and what backup will I need and get" conversation with the boss.

G

FTE Pruner
25th Jun 2011, 20:05
I'd be inclined to ask also what other backup is there- if you have, for example, a couple of really experienced TPs dedicated to the task, and an available greybeard line manager - should be fine in most cases, and enjoy the responsibility.

Best thing to do in any case, is have the "are you sure I'm ready for this, and what backup will I need and get" conversation with the boss.

Wasn't that what I said? :D

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jun 2011, 00:00
Probably.

Great mind thinks alike! (My mother used to use a less charitable version of that).

G