PDA

View Full Version : B747-400 Engine after landing at Man 21/6

EGNH
21st Jun 2011, 15:03
I today came back on a flight from Barbados I noticed shortly after we arrived at the gate at MAN the right outer engine (4?) engine cowling was opened with an engineer inspecting it. The engineer was operating a hand pump from the ground with a hose leading to the engine almost like it was a big pump foot pump however operated by hand. The captain was also down there having a look so wondered what this could of been if anything?

spannersatcx
21st Jun 2011, 15:23
The thrust reverser half, if I remember, weights 750lbs, to open it a hydraulic pump is used to operate a hydraulic actuator to pump open the cowl, once it's at a certain height a stay is fitted to prevent it closing whilst working in there.

Some more modern a/c have an inbuilt hydraulic motor and once you unlatch the cowl you press a button and up it goes.

It would of been an engineer, they wear epaulettes, and a mechanic.

Modern a/c have a communication system that makes the engineers aware of any problems on an inbound flt so they can be prepared to do whatever to fix or lock out something on the a/c, saves time and potential delays.

Flightmech
21st Jun 2011, 16:45
If your really lucky you have the PDOS installed on your reverser halves so then you just pop the latches and stand there holding the switch:ok: