PDA

View Full Version : Offical CX 777 Fleet Watch!!!!

NoAndThen
21st Jun 2011, 05:45
On a gayness level of 1-10 I have to give this a 15.

I promise everyone I will call out anyone who actually buys on of these pieces of crap.

What the hell has happened to our fleet?

iflylow
21st Jun 2011, 05:53
While the official CX watch is cool, I was thinking maybe we could have "mission patches" made and given to anyone who's completed maybe 100 sectors on that route. If I had both my mission patch and breitling CX watch I'd be set.

"HKG-JFK Polar 1"

Or maybe "HKG-LON Yankee 1"

Maybe Richie Hall could have a ceremony for each pilot to receive a patch. We could get our picture in CX World or Crews News while shaking hands and receiving our patch.

And BTW, is it possible to get leather bomber jackets with the CX logo sewn inside on the back of the jacket for our overnights??

MrClaus
21st Jun 2011, 06:05
I have an unofficial freighter watch that is stuck on 2am no matter where you go and randomly slides by up to 12hrs when you start your duty. ;)

Michael Hunt
21st Jun 2011, 07:32
Oh the gayness.......!
Only upside is that you no longer have to wait for your Capt.,FO or SO to open their mouth to work out if they are a tosser or not, you can simply check their wrist.

sodapop
21st Jun 2011, 08:12
Ok, give us a pic then.

Capt Toss Parker
21st Jun 2011, 09:29
A gift from me to my fellow pilots ..... I'll miss you all dearly

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/8923/777fagwatch.jpg

FOCX
21st Jun 2011, 15:34
Thank-you, Toss. Laughed myself silly!

crwjerk
21st Jun 2011, 23:05
What about 777 Fleet Ray Ban Aviators as well?

LAME0H
22nd Jun 2011, 00:33
Who is responsible for this one ?

Is he/she an FDAPER, CRM facilitator, cadet interviewer , G day worker? or ex -400 and this is another 400 thing ?:ok:

crwjerk
22nd Jun 2011, 00:58
One of our "keener" F/O's apparently.

Michael Hunt
22nd Jun 2011, 06:07
I'm thinking about getting my name badge changed to "Slider" or possibly "Hollywood". Too much?

Cpt. Underpants
22nd Jun 2011, 06:50
Dibs on "Iceman"

Anyone for a game of beach volleyball?

Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?

Michael Hunt
22nd Jun 2011, 07:56
I think it's time to bring back the "windmill" high five after greasers or particularly nice VOR approaches etc.

nitpicker330
22nd Jun 2011, 08:02
Whilst I don't have a Breitling, a Rolex or any other expensive brand ( only a plain 'ol Citizen ) are you all saying that anyone who wears a Breitling is Gay or a ******????

A bit harsh don't you think?

What's wrong with a lot of people getting together and buying in bulk to save lots of money on a nice watch???

Some of you guys really need to take a chill pill.:rolleyes:

Michael Hunt
22nd Jun 2011, 08:29
I think the elevated gayness level has more to do with the inclusion of some sort of CX 777 branding being applied to the face of the said watch rather than the watch itself.
Would be equivalent to buying a nice car then getting a personalized number plate(bad enough in of itself) that says 777 P1L0T or CXLEGEND.
And what's so wrong with poking a bit of fun at people who take their aviation just a little bit too seriously.
I knew an instructor years ago that used to drive his MG to and from Archerfield in full pilot kit and I'm pretty sure he got married in it too.

Capt Toss Parker
22nd Jun 2011, 08:55
Or "CX 747" like PE has or used to have ....

Look at me Look a Me

geh065
22nd Jun 2011, 10:29
I am pretty sure that CX 747, CX 1011, CX 777 etc are all Swire owned and on their fleet of cars for our upper management.

sinkingship
22nd Jun 2011, 10:42
Roll on "Tri-star" limited edition...haha

pill
22nd Jun 2011, 10:52
I went for something a bit more subtle, and got 777 tattooed on my dick. Sad thing is, I wanted Airbus, but the guy said it wouldn't fit. :eek:

22nd Jun 2011, 11:17
Hillarious :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Harbour Dweller
22nd Jun 2011, 11:53
Would be equivalent to buying a nice car then getting a personalized number plate(bad enough in of itself) that says 777 P1L0T or CXLEGEND

AIRBUS on a Porsche owned by Seniority No 1.

Iron Skillet
22nd Jun 2011, 12:10
I recently saw an interesting story about why we are being bombarded more and more with nonstop full page ads for watches that cost thousands of dollars, but are barely worth anything, sucking people into believing there is value and prestige and significance in wearing (or owning) an expensive watch of perceived luxury, marketed/created status and a pretend accompanying image...just like all the purses and shoes and cars and other nonsense people are compelled to waste money on.

"Luxury" watches are a particularly silly illusion, as even compared to "luxury" purses, stilettos, haircuts, hotel rooms, cars, F-class seats (overpriced things that still have a use) virtually every single person over the age of 12 already has access to the time on their mobile phones in their pockets, and the time is also displayed all round us almost all the time (computers, buildings, trains, planes, automobiles, etc.) and all of that advertising is no different than all the McDonald's advertising that keeps people buying absolute deadly junk food.

The really silly thing is that this advertising actually works on people and gets their money. :ugh:

Capt Toss Parker
22nd Jun 2011, 12:49
I like to flash my ....

Porsche Pen ... Belt Buckle ... Cap ... T-Shirt ... Bag Tags and Mobile Phone Wallpaper

It's a sign of success and a testament to my driving skill and bank balance.

iceman50
22nd Jun 2011, 14:48
Sorry Capt Underpants taken!!!;);)

sodapop
22nd Jun 2011, 16:07
Don't tell me you actually dislike stilettos!?!

Iron Skillet
22nd Jun 2011, 16:19
No! Of course not! Stilettos are awesome, of course.

I said pretend "luxury" items, as in 20000HKD stilettos, as if absurd pricing creates value.

Jack Ranga
23rd Jun 2011, 03:46
I went for something a bit more subtle, and got 777 tattooed on my dick. Sad thing is, I wanted Airbus, but the guy said it wouldn't fit.

Yeah, that was good :D

Capt Toss Parker
23rd Jun 2011, 03:56
I second that ... bloody good :ok:

VR-HFX
23rd Jun 2011, 05:11
I just went for the basic 70 but when I get a bit excited it generally squawks 7700. CTP no doubt has gone for the full 7777.:suspect:

Dirty Lungs
23rd Jun 2011, 07:33
"Luxury" watches are a complete con and if you buy into the hype then more fool you. If you ever roll your eyes at some local girl dripping all the brand name handbags, sunglasses and accessories, talking into her diamond encrusted iPhone, but you have a Breitling or similar on your wrist then you're more gullible and a greater sucker to marketing then her.

A quality Swiss timepiece in the price range of these sorts of commemorative watches costs between one tenth to (at most) one fifth the price you suckers pay. The huge blow out in cost is due to marketing, sponsorship, paid endorsements, distribution, luxury shopfronts etc etc. The aura, value and "connection" is an expensive and multi-layered marketing process that is 100% funded by the massive mark up price...paid by people who buy into the hype.

If you are thinking of buying this watch, or something similar, but in reality are simply after a true quality watch, save yourself serious $ and google the story of Christopher Ward. He is a talented English watchmaker very familiar with Swiss watchmaking. He was appalled by the incredible mark up of price from the factory to the shopfront, and began his own watch company using the same Swiss movements as the name brands, but with zero marketing. None, nada, zip. Guess what? His watches garner rave reviews by all the experts, he sells direct to the customer, and his quality and success have made many people see the "luxury" watch industry for what it is...a pathetic, self indulgent smoke and mirrors wnakfest. His prices are quite literally a fraction of a "name" brand watch of identical, or inferior, quality.

The first time I see one of these watches at dispatch I hope I have the self control not to burst out laughing. There's a sucker born every minute.

Christopher Ward: taking the (http://www.clicktempus.com/blog/christopher-ward-taking-the-%E2%80%98haute%E2%80%99-out-of-haute-horology)

geh065
23rd Jun 2011, 07:34
AIRBUS on a Porsche owned by Seniority No 1.

Thats on a brown BMW X1 driven by some CX guy. Seen it in the carpark before.

jed_thrust
23rd Jun 2011, 08:54
Two different countries, I suspect (knowing where No 1 lives....)

juliet
23rd Jun 2011, 09:24
Dirty Lungs,

Chris Ward still uses ETA movement therefore the quality isnt that great, relatively speaking.

Freehills
23rd Jun 2011, 09:52
Quite. A decent quartz from Casio or Seiko will keep far better time that Chris Ward watch, and for even less money.

Then again, it is missing the point of an expensive mechanical watch. It's meant to signal that you have so much money that you can afford to have an 80,000 HKD thing on your wrist that is lower quality (as in keeps worse time) than an 80 HKD thing

Kontract Killer
23rd Jun 2011, 15:54
I went for something a bit more subtle, and got 777 tattooed on my dick. Sad thing is, I wanted Airbus, but the guy said it wouldn't fit.Just as well, as would never have performed as claimed, leaving many unsatisfied and disappointed :O

pill
24th Jun 2011, 01:32
In the end, it comes down to the bunk, right.

elgringo
24th Jun 2011, 02:53
""ex -400 and this is another 400 thing""

Been on the -400 9 years and never seen a Cathay -400 watch...

Maybe I missed it somewhere...

Woof etc
26th Jun 2011, 18:13

They're under the long sleeves..

The Wraith
27th Jun 2011, 21:17
It's true. None of the -400 Long Sleeves would be up their own arses enough to want a "Fleet Watch".
DB9 for Christmas dear chap, rah rah..........anyone??:cool:

jonathon68
28th Jun 2011, 14:47

Yep. Get some time in, Son.

The -400 Breitling watch was about 1994/95(?). It can still occasionally be seen under the frayed cuffs of some long sleeved shirts at despatch, usually late at night. It is commonly associated with the hogging of sectors and late notification of a rest distribution which burns out the entire cockpit crew... except one.

There was a free CX watch in about 1996/97. Mine went missing at the gym more than a decade ago. WTF!

There was a proposal for a new -400 Breitling watch a number of years ago. I can't remember when this was, but I suspect it may have been part of the Rhodesian attempts to recover morale from the rock-bottom it reached under the "screaming skull". I think the price was not quite low enough to attract sufficient "B/C scale" interest, so the project did not get past V1.

If you want a decent watch, and the CX/fleet logo is not too garish to detract from its value, then why not?

However, HKG is in an economic upswing at the moment, so you would probably be far better off waiting one - or two years for the next downswing, and the bargains which will follow.