PDA

View Full Version : Da42 cpl

G CEXO
20th Jun 2011, 18:06
I have a bit of a dilemma:

I have been offered to start a CPL course in July which will consist of 25 hours on the DA42. However, due to the weather we are having down south, I don't think I will get all my hour build done in time for my July start date.

I've obviously let the FTO know about this and they have given me an option (due to their operations) to start in August, however the CPL course will consist of 15 hours in a DA40 and 10 hours in a DA42.

Or, I have the option to start the CPL in October and train all the hours in the DA42. My personal choice would be to train for the CPL completely in a DA42 and avoid the DA40 because it is only an increase in course price of around £1500 and will give me more time in the twin and make me more confident and ready for the CPL test.

Now, here's my question:

Would it be best to delay training until October and complete the CPL in the DA42 (bearing in mind the weather in October for CPL) or to just start in August and train in the DA40 and finally in the DA42.

Someone who can tell me how quick/smooth the transition is from a DA40 to a DA42 would be beneficial.

:ok:

MTBUR
21st Jun 2011, 00:11
40 to 42 is remarkable easy, it's designed that way! If you've ever flown the type before, then don't stress. If you haven't touched it at all, the aeroplane is designed to be a pleasure to fly - for example I was on the PA28 when my school switched me across to the DA40 2 flights before PPL, and it was fine. Completely finished now for a while and both diamonds are great. Different beasts to the Piper (if you haven't flown one before, wait for a) a flapless landing and b) PFL and you'll see just how well designed those wings are).

Hope you can score some conventional cockpit time though, or have some previously, as I met some brits in Asia earlier this year who only worked ever on glass, and when given a much older flight deck setup they became somewhat confused.

Best of luck with it!

The African Dude
21st Jun 2011, 00:18
You're the customer, so if you want to do all the hours in a DA42 then do all the hours in a DA42. Confidence is a big factor in flying performance and if you feel particularly edgy switching at the last minute then don't take the risk. No doubt you would be perfectly able to adapt, but my point is that it's your money and you can do whatever you want. That's what counts!

G CEXO
21st Jun 2011, 13:04
Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback :ok: