PDA

View Full Version : Landing Procedures

TSR2
20th Jun 2011, 15:10
Recently returned from holiday in Portugal. Whilst lazing round the hotel pool I was able to get a pretty good view of aircraft on approach to Faro airport.

One thing I did observe was that every Monarch aircraft had its undercarriage down when passing directly in front of me whilst virtually all other aircraft were considerably closer to the airport before the wheels became evident.

I would guess that the aircraft were between 1500 and 2,000 feet with maybe 5 to 8 miles to fly to the airport.

Is it the case that Monarch are over-cautious or are the other airlines cutting it a bit fine?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jun 2011, 15:22
I don't think Monarch are "over-cautious", nor do I think the other airlines were "cutting it fine". The wheels are not intentionally lowered at a particular distance from the airfield; there are other factors to take into account.

Nubboy
20th Jun 2011, 23:16
Our (not Monarch) SOP's are that the gear is down by 2000' agl. Different airports have runway thresholds at different heights, so in the UK LHR would be 2080 on qnh, LBA 2800 qnh etc etc. Since I like things uncomplicated I translate this to about 6 nm from the threshold. If it gets to 5 dme, then I start to prompt the other guy if it's their go.

Works for me:ok:

BOAC
21st Jun 2011, 09:04
TSR - the answer will lie inside Monarch's operating procedures and yes, they may well have chosen to be what you consider to be 'over-cautious' - bear in mind how long they have been operating and their 'record' - it is their choice.

Most airlines have a minimum of 1500' agl for the gear down, and 2000' in 'bad weather'. Add to that the fact that a company's SOP approach speeds/flap settings may well require gear down for handling purposes whereas another company may not use the same speeds and may thus be able to fly 'gear up' until later. All airlines will require gear down by 1000'agl.

WallyWumpus
21st Jun 2011, 10:00
RYR: We put the gear down at 4nm in VMC and at 5nm in IMC. Both of these points can be brough forward if the extra drag is needed, but they cannot be delayed, these numbers are the "backstop".

Wally.