PDA

View Full Version : Too much spare time!

Lew747
20th Jun 2011, 15:07
Hey,

I'm hoping for some advice regarding what to do with my spare time this year. I currently work for Royal Mail as an acting manager and occasional postie. I've been in this role for about 2.5 years now and although it is a dead-end job I know it's a means to an end as I try my best to save for my ATPL. So far saved about £14,000 which hasn't been easy for someone my age. I've recently completed a management advanced apprenticeship with RM and hoping to pick up my NVQ3 and ILM technical certificates next week.

I have my PPL with NQ and around 85 hrs TT. I'm off to the States end of September with a non-flying buddy to do around 50 hours in Arizona and when I return I am hoping to start my ATPL theory with Bristol in November (in negotiations with work to allow time off for brush-up courses and exams which I would look to sit next year). I have also been VERY fortunate to win a gliding scholarship with GAPAN which I am due to commence this August.

Now my current dilemma as I sit here is what can I now be doing to assist my progress to one day be flying for a living. My girlfriend left me 2 months ago and has now left me with LOTS of free time and I now want to be able to pour all my efforts and energies into flying. I’ve had enough now of sitting around when I know I could be doing something to help better myself for my chosen career path!

I have been seriously contemplating university. I never did go and sort of regret it. At the same time I realise I have a comfortable job with decent pay for someone my age and i’ve now got management experience (although limited) under my belt. Admittedly, I do not enjoy the job but I keep saying this is ‘a means to an end’. I am working and earning and it’s allowing me to fly and save at the same time. I know if I went to university all that would have to be put on hold for 3-4 years and I’ll come out with £30k debt that would of paid for my CPL/IR. Then again, my salary is never going to increase greatly (£17-20k) and my career progression in my company are bleak (airlines are not the only businesses struggling at the moment!).

I guess I feel stuck in a rut at the moment. I so badly want to better myself but am at a loss about how to go about it. Should I stick it out for a while longer?
If you were in my situation what would you do?

Hope to hear some thoughts !

redsnail
20th Jun 2011, 15:19
Have you considered the Open University?
I'm a bit "bored" at work so I'm doing a degree in psychology. It's pretty relevant for work and I have found out a couple of colleagues are also doing the same degree.

Lew747
20th Jun 2011, 15:30
Have you considered the Open University?
I'm a bit "bored" at work so I'm doing a degree in psychology. It's pretty relevant for work and I have found out a couple of colleagues are also doing the same degree. ....

PM'd :ok: