PDA

View Full Version : Where to planespot at Chicago O'Hare (ORD)?

femanvate
19th Jun 2011, 17:07
Plane-spotting/photography is quite hard to do at Chicago's O'Hare. There are plenty of good spots to park and take pics of planes, but any of the various security/police agencies will always pull up and make me leave.
My last time there, a full 6-vehicle swat squad surrounded me, and told me "I was not being smart". I tried arguing that I was not doing anything illegal, but had to give in when I felt I was on the verge of getting arrested.
I realize cops have to respond to reports of "suspicious activity", and don't want to waste their time either.
Anyone have any ideas how to safely planespot at ORD?

ross_M
19th Jun 2011, 17:27
If you were on a public road can't you complain to the Police Dept? Are they within grounds to force you to move?

femanvate
2nd Jul 2013, 05:34
when 4 cruisers and 2 SUV's pull up to you and one officer says "what you're doing is not illegal, but it isn't smart", there's not much I could say, not as his hand motioned to his cuffs.

Mike Tee
2nd Jul 2013, 05:51
I remember many years ago being "moved on" at RAF Waddington. I was parked up well off the road (A15) when the policeman who had sat watching me for a good 20 minutes decided to flex his muscles. Various threats like "your vehicle number has been recorded" and "I'm not asking, I'm telling you to leave" did the trick and I left.

Smoketrails
2nd Jul 2013, 08:44
ORD have a spotters "club", they are allowed to venture round the field. Not bothered to look for the link but Airliners.net | Airplanes - Aviation - Aircraft- Aircraft Photos & News (http://www.airliners.net) have a thread going on it in their forum.