PDA

View Full Version : IGRUA (Merged 2011)

givememywings
19th Jun 2011, 16:42
i have been selected by Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi) and have to join my training in august 2011. i have come across a lot of negative news..although i am very keen on flying..i understand that its no cakewalk and requires a lot of dedication..but these news are very discouraging..

everybody knows there are around 3000-5000 jobless CPL-HOLDERS in India..!!

but a lot of people talk about IGRUA'S reputation and campus placements..does that really exist?? i read somewhere that Indian airline directly selects students of igrua and trains them for boeing aircrafts..! i guess it sounds too good be true..

and what is the employment scene really like..does a fresh inexperienced cpl-holder stand any chance?? or is it only type-rating (and that too self-sponsored!) that can get u a job??
do airlines still have cadet programs where the type-rating is sponsored by the airline?
how does one get selected as a trainee-pilot?? I have heard that some airlines (jet airways and spice jet pay back half the cost of your type rating after service of 5 years or so..)

is it the right time to go for CPL training at all...?? will things look up in the years ahead..??

vserian
19th Jun 2011, 17:19
but a lot of people talk about IGRUA'S reputation and campus placements..does that really exist?? i read somewhere that Indian airline directly selects students of igrua and trains them for boeing aircrafts..! i guess it sounds too good be true..

IGRUA is one of the top flight college in India, yes Air India does take students from the campus, but the process currently has been slowed down and now with all the chaos going on within the national airline its put on hold. Back in 2004-2007 almost everyone who had the interview was selected and now flying on 777, 747, 737, 310 and 320s. You need to perform very well to get an interview but like I said the airline is in chaos, it will take time to reform itself (if they really want to) so chances are extremely minimal to nil.

and what is the employment scene really like..does a fresh inexperienced cpl-holder stand any chance?? or is it only type-rating (and that too self-sponsored!) that can get u a job??

Job are there but its not easy to get them like it was back in the booming days. Jet, spice, Indigo are conducting exams regularly for both fresh and type rated pilots, but if you are selected you have to pay quiet an amount of money which you will get in return over 5 to 7 years.

do airlines still have cadet programs where the type-rating is sponsored by the airline?

In India NO, its you who have to pay the cost and sign a bond. Indigo is soon going to launch a "cadet" programme which will cost 45 lacs. You can search it on the net for more info or http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/454195-indigo-cadet-program.html

how does one get selected as a trainee-pilot?? I have heard that some airlines (jet airways and spice jet pay back half the cost of your type rating after service of 5 years or so..)

you need to pass their Exams and get through the selection process.

is it the right time to go for CPL training at all...?? will things look up in the years ahead..??

No one can answer this million dollar question because we never know what will happen tomorrow. I would advise you to get a degree in Engineering or Finance where the job market is strong then go for the CPL, you will have a good back up and will get you some financial assurance in the future. Jobs are there, but there are just too many CPL holders for the available job. India badly needs experienced captains and aviation is growing fast in India compared to many other countries, so aviation has a good future this is a fact as far as India is concerned.

Anyways think twice before spending that huge money on CPL,dont fall for the scams and dont sign up with any agents.

also take some time to search the forum for similar questions, PM me if you got any doubts.

all the best

givememywings
19th Jun 2011, 18:34
Thank you for your reply..:)

i have been thinking and researching a lot about it..and now i am horribly confused..my family isn't very supportive of flying..and i understand that it will be financially very demanding for my parents..and repayment of a loan isn't a joke either with no job..but some how i feel this is all that i want to do..so..will going for it turn out to be a stupid risk..?? fresh cpl-holders are often called "250-hours wonders"...! its discouraging...

plus..if once i go ahead with my higher studies (engineering in my case)..i don't think i can ever come back to it..(my family expects a stable office life and not flying)..

flying is now or never for me..should i go for it..??

are there any scholarships??

captain.weird
19th Jun 2011, 20:18
Hi there,

I really understand your position. I'm in the same position, but I'm not accepted at a University which is really aviation based and has a good reputation. My family wasn't really supportive, but they now know that I really want this.

My position isn't really 'now or never'. I'm now sudying Engineering (not Aircraft or something really technical) at a regular University, just to get a bachelor where I can fall on after my flight training. It is my back-up plan.

Now I'm thinkin' to get a PPL (during my degree) and after my bachelor I will build it up to a frozen ATPL. But at the same time I'm thinkin' to do an integrated course with a well-named (popular) flight training centre, such like OAA/CTC/FTE. But now I just don't know it and don't have the money to fund the PPL.

If I was in your position, I would GO for the flight training! It is one of the best training centers in India and the best named. If you have the possibility, GO! I know that there are a lot of '250-hours wonders' in India, but you will be one of those from IGRUA!

Speed Freak
19th Jun 2011, 22:01
there are only 3000-5000 unemployed cpl holders in india and you are trying to be a pilot...there are innumerable engineering graduates in india without a job or in jobs for which they are overqualified...igrua is the only place where there is an educational school like set up compared to other flying schools...(in the sense of how an indian family mentality is that kid should go to an institute and not a club where u give money and fly an hour....when i was starting out....indian airlines ad used to say u will be employed with a basic salary of 6350..or something like that...i didnt think what money i will get or what job i will have....i had to do it and i did it...if u are doing this for easy money take a u-turn and go someplace else...if u are doing this because u want to be a pilot and dream of flying, pack your bags, head to igrua, tell them i am here and not leaving till you place me in an airline...if might get bumpy in the middle, but if you are meant to be, you will make it...as for the airlines and endorsement...jet has always asked for 7.5 lacs....indigo will always ask you to pay for endorsement....indian airlines and air india used to deduct money from salary but not doing it any more...(however what they do tomo is anybodys guess), so talk to banks...they will give you loans....all you have to do is live your dream and not screw up...and yeah never talk to agents....i have been in aviation since 2005 and never been to a dgca office....first igrua took care of all the paperwork and now the airline does...and yeah once you are out of igrua you will be a 200hr wonder (and not a 250 hour wonder), if you know what i mean....all the best...

givememywings
20th Jun 2011, 06:46
@captain.weird and @Speed Freak- - Thank you for your encouragement...:)

@captain.weird- is a formal degree like engineering or b.sc. necessary..? i have heard that if a pilot gets grounded due to health reasons..he/she gets a ground job on the basis educational qualifications..is that true..?

@Speed Freak- there is this thing with dreams..u think about them ever since u r a tiny kid and know that this is all you want..and when u r very close to seeing them come true..there are some people who will make you doubt your decision..and tell u that u r being stupid..!

umm...as an igruan..how did ur career shape up..?? through campus placements or u found a job yourself..??

does IGRUA still have placements??

and how does a fresh CPL-holder go about his career..?? do i just wait around till there is a vacancy for a '200-hour wonder'?? or do i go ahead with 'self sponsored' type rating..?? (everybody says its stupid) ..some people even say that u can try becoming a flying instructor to gather more flying hours and experience and then apply for a job..??

how often do jobs for FRESH CPL-holders come out..?? or do they not exist at all..??

Speed Freak
20th Jun 2011, 20:39
got license in july...campus in august...joined ic in november...but that was 2007....we were the last of the lot who had it easy...my junior batch in igrua...few of them are still unemployed....private airlines want to conduct placements but igrua will not allow that...if placements happen, it will be air india...they are in their own mess at the moment....so no idea what will happen...you can get yourself rated....however, amongst the people getting jobs these days that i know...75% are fresh cpl holders while remaining are type rated...however, this is amongst people i know... you can become an instructor if you want...but that wont make much of a difference for a job...you become an instructor when there are NO jobs....
indigo has 100 + 150 planes on order out of which some 40 have been delivered...go air has orderes 70 odd planes recently...jet airways has huge expansion plans and the only reason they are going slow on recruitments is because they dont have training slots...all these planes require pilots....you may not get a job immediately but have to wait...people who did their cpl in 1997 had to wait around 3 years for a job....ic did not come out with an ad for 8 years from around 1992 to 2000....there have been bleaker periods...then again....you will be fighting more people for lesser jobs doing engineering....the odds are better here though the stakes are higher....just make sure your parents/relatives are able to support you in case things go bad...a backup should always be there....

givememywings
21st Jun 2011, 15:57
@Speed Freak- thank u for your reply...:)

are things things expected to improve in the coming 2-3 years??

and do igruans get any advantage over others in terms of getting a job?? (a lot of people say so)

how often do the placements take place??
have private airlines ever come for placements??

cyrilroy21
21st Jun 2011, 16:12
@givenmemywings

Perhaps you should have a look at here first

CAE Global Academy - IndiGo Cadet Pilot Program (http://www.caeglobalacademy.com/gondia/IndiGo_training_programs.shtml)

If you do not have a degree I strongly suggest you join a college and obtain a Degree before you pursue flight training . It will always act as a backup should you at any point of time in your career fail to pass your medical
It will also give you important life experiences and you will make new and valuable friends :)

There is plenty of time once you finish college to get your CPL

viral_1212
29th Jun 2011, 14:17
is any ex-igruan here???

bala_murali
6th Jul 2011, 20:05
Guys is there anybody who has their pilot aptitude test in IGURA on the 5th of august???

givememywings
7th Jul 2011, 07:13
NO TXT SPK - Thank you
HWB

bala_murali
7th Jul 2011, 10:43
Hi there wings

Not able to get an idea about the of how this pilot aptitude test would be . And also what type of questions did they ask you during your interview. Would love to know !!! Thanks a million wings.:O:O:O

Arthuz
18th Jul 2011, 19:08
hey i applied for getting CPL from IGRUA,raebaraeli, in the year 2011..and till now i have cleared my written test and aptitude test and my final interview is going to be held on 8 august.
most of students scored around 75% marks in aptitude test but after my aptitude test,my examiner said that my aptitude test was awesome, and i have great chances to get selected..i got 96.4 % marks in that..
But now i am in big dilemma that whether i should go for the training there or not,, if i got selected.. because i have no idea about what to do after getting CPL.. even dont know about job placements and what is the procedure to get job in airline company..
please tell about total expenditure and at what stage how approximate funds would be required..
please if any one could help me out in providing every information they know about this thing.. please reply as soon as possible,, please. :{

Arthuz
18th Jul 2011, 19:34
hey i applied for getting CPL from IGRUA,raebaraeli, in the year 2011..and till now i have cleared my written test and aptitude test and my final interview is going to be held on 8 august.
most of students scored around 75% marks in aptitude test but after my aptitude test,my examiner said that my aptitude test was awesome, and i have great chances to get selected..i got 96.4 % marks in that..
But now i am in big dilemma that whether i should go for the training there or not,, if i got selected.. because i have no idea about what to do after getting CPL.. even dont know about job placements and what is the procedure to get job in airline company..
please tell about total expenditure and at what stage how approximate funds would be required..
please if any one could help me out in providing every information they know about this thing.. please reply as soon as possible,, please.

givememywings
21st Jul 2011, 07:20
@Arthuz: the total expenditure at IGRUA as of now is 24.60 lakh + 1.5 lakh for food and accomodation..
out of this 26 lakhs, one has pay to 1 lakh as commitment money before joining..this money is taken so as to reserve your seat untill your batch starts..(there will be 4 batches starting after 3 months each and you will be allotted your batch on the basis of your rank )...the rest is paid in 4 installments..the first on the date of joining..and others after a gap of 3 months each.. each installment is to be paid through a demand draft or through electronic transfer of funds...no cheque or cash is accepted...

Arthuz
21st Jul 2011, 15:39
is there some fees relaxation for SC category candidates??

givememywings
21st Jul 2011, 17:44
@Arthuz: SC candidates are given scholarships by igrua..merit cum means basis..you can call them up to know more..

Johny Boy
21st Jul 2011, 21:38
Won't get into argument of IGRUA being best or not but they surely do give their students one very important thing - Campus placement.

Yes the word may sound absurd in Aviation but they provide campus recruitment.Their students get flying job more early than non IGRUA ones...but this depends on market & airline recruitment requirements( AI ).

AmateurAviatorAlways
23rd Jul 2011, 13:59
is this the only fee(24.6 lac + housing n messing) or it is cumulated to an additional service tax of 10.3% as with most other flight schools?? :sad:

cyrilroy21
23rd Jul 2011, 14:04
Won't get into argument of IGRUA being best or not but they surely do give their students one very important thing - Campus placement.

Yes the word may sound absurd in Aviation but they provide campus recruitment.Their students get flying job more early than non IGRUA ones...but this depends on market & airline recruitment requirements( AI ).

One of the reasons for this is because in addition to subsidies from the central govt AI/IC also give subsidies to the tune of 1.5 crore each
Its there in their financial reports

This is the reason why AI goes to IGRUA and not CAE NFTI even though both are managed by CAE and both have a similar fleet of aircraft

givememywings
24th Jul 2011, 18:58
@AmateurAviatorAlways: there is no service tax or any other thing...it is exactly 24.60+1.5 lakhs...

ackchew
24th Jul 2011, 20:42
@gimmemyshoesback
firstly, when were you selected?:confused:
apparently, you wrote the entrance test sumtym in 2010 & got yuor joining now.

EDIT

so go for it, be confident & trust YOURSELF.

EDIT

Stop using TXT spk

HWB

givememywings
25th Jul 2011, 13:22
@ackchew: the entrance took place last year..however they do not take all the selected students (approx 100) in one batch..there are four batches and each starts after a gap of 3-4 months..and each batch consists of 25 students.. and the last batch was further delayed by two months due to hostel renovation problem.. i hope this clears the confusion sir..and its 'givememywings'..and thank you for your encouraging words..:)

AmateurAviatorAlways
26th Jul 2011, 08:41
@givememywings
thanks for the infomation.. :)
all the best!!

viral_1212
29th Jul 2011, 07:11
Should i join igrua or wait for some cadet pilot training program to come up?? I just gave my last semester engineering exams...so i know i would be eligible for a cadet pilot training program....what should i do???

Halfwayback
29th Jul 2011, 10:35
Just a caveat to all posters - TXT SPK is not permitted!:=

HWB

Arthuz
23rd Aug 2011, 17:49
i got selected in IGRUA,, that too in batch I..
reply here,, if some one other is also selected..

bala_murali
23rd Aug 2011, 18:01
Got selected for batch 2. Anybody from chennai in here

ackchew
25th Aug 2011, 17:01
not cool :=

ackchew
25th Aug 2011, 17:04
@bala: I am. Near thuraipakkam. What;s that got to do with this thread anyway? :suspect: