PDA

View Full Version : New Hire/Great Lakes

jsfboat
19th Jun 2011, 16:10
Thursday I got the call from Great Lakes saying that I was hired on the B1900 and have an August 1st Class date. I've heard how tough the class is and it has me scared. How will I survive the B1900 class at Lakes? Also, I don't have a laptop and will purchase one prior to going to class, for class and on the job. Does any one have recommendations for lap tops? I'm happy to move beyond instructing. I'm still applying to other commuters though, so hope I can get some interviews prior :D

wingdeagle
19th Jun 2011, 23:38
Surviving a GLA ground school and initial sim is all about your personal attitude and good preparation. Great Lakes school is not tough, but they will throw a big chunk of information at you, which you will have to digest in a brief period of time. Since you are not starting till August, recommend you ask them to send you the 1900 limitations and memory items as soon as possible (you can also get them any where on the net). Get those out of the way before you go to class. If you have no turbine experience, get your hand on any good publications describing a typical turbine airplane systems (get a basic idea). This will help you through ground school. Before you go to the sim, make SURE your instrument scan and instrument flying skills are 1+ or the 1900 will "swallow" you. So do some home work in advance and you will be fine. It's not the best commuter out there, but the best airline school ! Good luck.

weasil
21st Jun 2011, 05:27
With so many RJ operators hiring like crazy, what is the attraction to Great Lakes? Is it a faster upgrade there or lower minimums? Congrats on the job offer and good luck, people pass the training so don't be intimidated just be prepared to work hard is all.
Did you apply anywhere else like Eagle, Expressjet, Skywest etc...?

CrazyStuntPilot
21st Jun 2011, 20:04
Wingdeagle gave good advice, follow it and you'll be good.

jsfboat
23rd Jun 2011, 16:37
Windeagle, thanks for the advice. As for the other questions, Lakes is the only one that I applied to that called me for an interview. As of last night, I've applied to Mesaba (mid-may), Express Jet, Cape Air, American Eagle (already rejected), Air Wisonsin, Colgan, Piedmont (several months ago and nothing yet), and TSA. If it's the only one that comes through, then I have to take it.

weasil
24th Jun 2011, 05:18
Just posted by AE...
American Eagle Airlines is excited to announce that we have adjusted our current hiring minimum. Our hiring goals are expected to exceed 670 pilots in 2011, and we foresee hiring to continue into 2012. Our new hiring minimums are as follows:

* 500 Total Time with 50 Multi-Engine
* Successful completion of the Recruitment Process
* Successful completion of ATP’s Regional Jet Standards Course (Paid in full by American Eagle Airlines)
* Two year signed commitment to fly for American Eagle Airlines

For pilots who have 800 total time and 100 multi will not be subject to the Regional Jet Standards Course or the signed two year commitment. If you are interested in a pilot position with American Eagle, please email us at [email protected].

RWEDAREYET
24th Jun 2011, 18:20
Interesting.....does AA and Eagle still have that flow back/through program??

jsfboat
24th Jun 2011, 22:03
I got the same email a day after I applied through airline apps, and I was rejected. Is it worth sending an email saying I'm interested?

weasil
28th Jun 2011, 16:49
The AE/AA flowthrough does not apply to anyone hired there now. There are currently pilots flowing through from AE to AA.