PDA

View Full Version : More "unseen" Jet Provost film footage

stevew62
19th Jun 2011, 08:05
Chaps,

I found another cine film, from my Dads QFI "Jet Provost" period in the RAF.

This one appears to have been filmed at Dishforth [EDIT - 26 June - I now KNOW it is Gaydon ] ( Showing aircraft from 1, 2, 3 & 6 FTS ) in 1968. It shows many JP's taxying, taking-off, practicing & landing. ( all painted in the silver / dayglo scheme )

I realise that the quality isn't anything like as good as 21 Century films, but it's over 50 years old & better than nothing !

YouTube - ‪RAF Jet Provost EIIR flypast practice 1968‬‏ (http://youtu.be/XyF5wXFuHuI)

All the Best
Steve

kluge
19th Jun 2011, 08:39
Wonderful bit of history.

Interesting music - JPs with a Dr Nemo twist !

Wander00
19th Jun 2011, 09:30
aah fantastic - once as a stude flew in a 56 ship witn IIRC a QFI called Ron Gillam (can't remember what the rehearsal was for, probably a Cranwell graduation)-very nostalgic. Many thanks

BEagle
19th Jun 2011, 09:45
Thanks for the videoclip!

Memories of the days when we once had an air force....:{

I went up to RAFC Cranwell in 1968...everything since was just one cutback after another.

Neptunus Rex
19th Jun 2011, 13:42
Magnificent Steve.

Stude and QFI on JPs and enjoyed every minute. A terrific aircraft.

Tourist
19th Jun 2011, 14:39
Slight thread drift, but like a JP.

A long time ago, I was shown a video from inside a Strikemaster cockpit in Oman flown by an RAF bloke who was lower than anything I have ever seen for a remarkably long time. I believe it was to pink Floyd music. Started with an external view going past a motorway sign.

Has anybody seen it/got a link?

con-pilot
19th Jun 2011, 15:35
The most sad bit about this video is that we'll most likely never see such large formations as this again.

Thank you very much for look back to the 'good old days'. :ok:

ZH875
19th Jun 2011, 15:38
All those JP's taking off, the noise must have been bearable.:E

ShyTorque
19th Jun 2011, 16:07
All those JP's taking off, the noise must have been bearable

Yes, we had been fogged in for days at Linton in late 1977. Suddenly we heard the noise of a JP engine spooling up so we all leapt up to look out of the crewroom window.

Then we realised it was just the kettle boiling. :O

Art Field
19th Jun 2011, 16:25
Ah the variable noise, constant thrust Viper!

SFCC
19th Jun 2011, 17:51
Wow.
Wonderfully nostalgic and truly impressive.

Before my time but they look like Halcyon Days....:ok:

Yellow Sun
19th Jun 2011, 18:56
Multi-element formations were relatively common in those days. I just missed participating in the 101 formation for the graduation of the last cadet entry at Cranwell. We still flew "figure" formations after that, but I think that the last of those was for 9 GE. They were replaced by standard Diamond 9s with Diamond 16s thrown in for Royal Visits and similar.

When you included airborne spares, whip, deputy whip and photo aircraft the numbers could get quite high. I recall being in the last section to recover off a flypast rehearsal (we stayed in sections and carried out formation circuits) and being cleared to land with 18 ahead. Those were the days!

YS :ok:

Chugalug2
19th Jun 2011, 20:16
Very Impressive! Looks tricky, but the secret of course is continually talking to oneself. Here's how you do it:
YouTube - ‪RAF JET PROVOST‬‏

Old Photo.Fanatic
19th Jun 2011, 23:10
I remember seeing a similar formation of EIIR by Harvards during the Battle of Britain airshow at RAF Colerne. 1953.

Liked this JP Film, those were the days.

OPF

kluge
20th Jun 2011, 04:24
Chugalug2 - thank you for posting, very enjoyable.

Do you have the rest of it please?

That Lightning clip at the end looked promising.

Wander00
20th Jun 2011, 07:48
#13 very nostalgic, even if the dialogue is a bit twee. But that "final" turn - would have got shot for that I think!

Fly380
20th Jun 2011, 08:05
Re #13 - was that RAF Elvington? And a JP3 from Church Fenton?

spekesoftly
20th Jun 2011, 08:43
Definitely RAF Elvington. Along with many others, I did my first JP3 solo there.

Tankertrashnav
20th Jun 2011, 09:01
The best fun I had in the RAF was when I was holding before the Victor OCU. I was sent on a 4 week low-level nav course on JPs at Linton. I was assigned Al Kolesky as my pilot for the course - great guy and a member of the Linton Gin display team. Al couldn't see why I should just sit there with a map, while all his other studes had to fly the a/c as well, so he gave me a crash pilot's course. Lesson one was a loop (no cissy straight and level for Al) which in a JP5 was easy even for me.

Great days, when the RAF could afford to send you off for what was basically four weeks of fun, learning skills that you would probably not need again (low level on tankers was below FL250!).

Chugalug2
20th Jun 2011, 09:35
Kluge:
Chugalug2 -
Do you have the rest of it please?
That Lightning clip at the end looked promising.

Afraid not, but a more thorough search on YouTube might uncover it. All I managed (and apologies to OP for the thread drift) is a similar delivery (a la "Look at Life" or "Pearl & Dean") featuring said Lightnings. The film industry was wonderfully well spoken in those days, wasn't it?
YouTube - ‪RAF Lightning Jet fighter promo 60s‬‏

BOAC
20th Jun 2011, 13:00
I just missed participating in the 101 formation - I think it was that formation in which I was in the back half of the 'O when the leader (possibly Bill Jago?) got a little ahead in a turn and called 'Airbrakes, airbrakes go'. We actually detached and flew under the front half of the 'O 'until things returned to 'normal' (whatever that was). Then there was the wing-ding where my passenger looked out of the window to find our '8' had actually intertwined with the '9'. Now - who DO I formate on?? Ah - those were the days?

Chug - loved the clip.

Haraka
20th Jun 2011, 17:00
A bit of thread drift re: 101. Anybody else there at their final Cadet Revue where the aristocracy, followed by the hangers-on all got up and walked out - to the cheers of the rest of the audience?
Something to do with a Rock-Ape's hat and a stripper IIRC. :hmm:
I did fly as a pax on what I remember as the 101 fly past rehearsal with my poor instructor ( B**** M********y) . I don't mind admitting I found it "educational".

HarrysHawk
20th Jun 2011, 22:48
We did the same thing over Portsmouth for HM's Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2002 - not sure if they're planning (or able to do) something similar next year? Link to a page about it:

On Her Majesty's (secret) Service (http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/hangar/2002/jubileeII/jubileeII.htm)

Was great fun to be part of.

HH

Herod
21st Jun 2011, 21:03
Real JPs as well; none of your wussie Mk5s. IIRC the high-speed run was from FL350, unpressurised, just after a breakfast of eggs and beans. Good job the O2 was at 100% by then. :eek:

DeepestSouth
23rd Jun 2011, 12:09
I remember that VERY clearly - brilliant stunt which was greatly appreciated by all present - except the 'scrambled egg' bunch at the front. Immediately afterwards I saw the Commandant, with the AssCommT (Alex Maisner) and others in tow, walking round the Sacred Carpet discussing their response. The following day, announcement that no-one was to be 'chopped' but if it ever happened again...! I was also on the 101 Passing Out parade with a somewhat controversial speech by the Reviewing Officer!

Back on thread - although 10 GE, as a ground branch bod I passed-out on the 9 GE parade (not literally!). I remember the formation flypast (whilst still looking ahead I could just see it from under my SD hat brim) and it looked perfect - the family (including my ex-RAF dad) were most impressed. I just hope our line up below was as good.

BEagle
23rd Jun 2011, 12:26
'Goings-on' were not just confined to College Hall in those days!

Stable Bar at the George, Leadenham anyone?

I was told by a chum who'd been there a year before me that a somewhat lively evening had been held at the George, involving a stripper....:oh:

After news of the event filtered up to the squirearchy, han hinvestigation was held. One chum was asked "Is it true that the, err, woman placed the Flt Cdr's err, err, 'member' into a half pint beer mug?".

"No sir", he replied.
"Well thank heavens for that then", said the investigator, "Someone must have been telling lies".
"Actually, sir, it was a pint pot!"

:E

Yellow Sun
23rd Jun 2011, 19:10
Back on thread - although 10 GE, as a ground branch bod I passed-out on the 9 GE parade (not literally!). I remember the formation flypast (whilst still looking ahead I could just see it from under my SD hat brim) and it looked perfect - the family (including my ex-RAF dad) were most impressed. I just hope our line up below was as good.

Now, somewhere I have a photo of the 9GE flypast. Sorry but I wasn't actually looking at the parade, so can't say whether your line up was straight!

I was told by a chum who'd been there a year before me that a somewhat lively evening had been held at the George, involving a stripper....

After news of the event filtered up to the squirearchy, han hinvestigation was held.

Which contributed, directly or indirectly, to the end of a once promising career. Well he said it was promising, but not many agreed so perhaps the outcome was for the best.;)

YS

wiggy
23rd Jun 2011, 19:51
Stable Bar at the George, Leadenham anyone?

:ok: And at the risk of utter thread drift I raise you the Cat's Cradle at East Retford :E :E

Whoosh1999
24th Jun 2011, 15:36
Wiggy,

"And at the risk of utter thread drift I raise you the Cat's Cradle at East Retford"

I'll see your Cat's Cradle and raise you The Buck at Rufforth!! ;)

Steve,

Great video - thanks for stirring up the green slime that keeps my ears apart these days!

stevew62
26th Jun 2011, 16:27
Guys,

I checked my Dad's log books again & I got it wrong ! It was a detachment at Gaydon.

Sorry for the confusion, :=

I'll try harder next time

Smartbomb
27th Jul 2011, 02:29
Excellent footage Mr Steve. Thanks for sharing I only wish there were half the aircraft there left today still flying. :{

On a slight side note I am looking at purchasing one of your father's later steeds (yes is a wussie T5)- check your records for XW306:)
It's early days yet but we are hopeful of positive result soon. I'll be sure to keep you posted on the progrss.:ok:

Lightning Mate
28th Jul 2011, 14:09
Does anyone remember the JP5 solo aerobatics display at Linton in 1976?

newt
28th Jul 2011, 17:50
Why LM was it you?:ok:

BOAC
28th Jul 2011, 17:56
Question is, does HE remember them:)

Lightning Mate
28th Jul 2011, 19:23
bar stewards - both of you............:=

' k o f f :p

newt
28th Jul 2011, 21:40
Oh he can remember it I'm sure!! Have another shot of Scotch LM:)

Lightning Mate
29th Jul 2011, 07:39
Morning Newt. :)

Owza fishin' ?

....and morning BOAC. :)

newt
29th Jul 2011, 09:47
Not enough water in the river Old Chap!! Have to wait for September and some rain before I can restock the freezer!!

But do enlighten us about the JP5 aerobatics!!:ok:

stevew62
29th Jul 2011, 13:02
Smartbomb wrote:- On a slight side note I am looking at purchasing one of your father's later steeds (yes is a wussie T5)- check your records for XW306http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif
It's early days yet but we are hopeful of positive result soon. I'll be sure to keep you posted on the progress.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Here's what I have in XW306 => http://www.linton-gin.com/xw306.html (http://www.linton-gin.com/xw306.html)

spekesoftly
31st Jul 2011, 21:31
Does anyone remember the JP5 solo aerobatics display at Linton in 1976?

Flown by a chap that owned a white Alfa Romeo? ;)

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2011, 08:32
I think you're correct - or was it brown and white...........

profile:

spekesoftly has not made any friends yet