PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about aircraft turns

Nicholas49
18th Jun 2011, 09:28
Hello

I have (another!) question. You need first to watch the first minute of this youtube clip.

The aircraft performs a manoeuvre that I've noticed on flights and wondered about, so I'm sure it's easily explicable.

1) When the aircraft comes out of the turn (at 00:35), why it does bank (less steeply) in the other direction, before returning to wings level?

2) Is this related to intercepting the ILS localiser rather than turning to a particular heading?

2) Is this something the autopilot does, or is it equally plausible that s/he was flying manually?

Thanks for your help.
Nick

PS Can't see the pie shop.

Double Hydco
18th Jun 2011, 11:00
In the video the aircraft is intercepting the Localiser for Runway 22. The aircraft will sometimes fly through a little, and this could be for a number of reasons.

The ones that come to mind are, a late intercept heading by ATC, flying a little faster than ideal, or perhaps a strong tailwind on the intercept heading?

It can happen with autopilot out or in. The autopilot on the 319 is very good, and will usually sort itself out and re-establish on the localiser if left alone.

DH

Nicholas49
18th Jun 2011, 19:55
Thanks for the explanation, DH. :ok:

NoMannIsAnIsland
18th Jun 2011, 20:52
I'm a radar controller and I noticed recently some aircraft drift off the localiser a little after establishing and then re-establish themselves after a few seconds. On asking a pilot, he told me that from the intercept heading the autopilot (on some types) doesn't make a correction for drift until after it has established on the localiser. So in a crosswind, the aircraft will establish, then drift slightly off the localiser, then turn back on. This may be a factor in this video, but I can't say for certain.