PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP certificate prep school in FL

winch launch
17th Jun 2011, 15:39
Hi,

I have a JAA ATPL(A) and an FAA PPL (Not "stand alown"). I d like to get the FAA "stand alown" ATP Licence. I do meet all the requirements to get the FAA ATP certificate.
Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap school in Florida (If possible close to a beach to make the girlfriend happy!!!) where they propose ATP prep courses for international students (I am European).

Thanks in advance

Tinstaafl
17th Jun 2011, 19:15
A school - or more accurately, an instructor recommendation - isn't required for you to do an FAA ATP. You could do it entirely on your own if you wanted, especially considering you already have some familiarity with the US system. Presuming you have met any TSA insecurity requirements**:

* Obtain a Gleim or ASA ATP prep. text for the exam, an ATP Practical Test Standard to see what the flight test ('checkride' in the US) requires and, if you can find one for the ATP, a test prep. to help with the oral & flight checkride preparation.
* A contact for a Designated Pilot Examiner from the FAA website (or book it with the FAA. Might have to wait but the FAA bloke is free, unlike an external examiner)
* Current medical
* An aeroplane. Single engine with wheels if you want an FAA-SEL, multi engine with wheels for MEL, floats on single or multi for SES or MES, respectively. God knows how many places there are that would let you rent a plane. Pick an airport & you'll find one or more.
* Current documents.

I wouldn't recommend it though. A flight or two with an instructor to catch the US' TERPS vs. elsewhere's PANS-OPS differences would be beneficial and also give a bit of local knowledge. I favour small, Part 61 schools and not sausage factories. Usually the rates are cheaper & you're not at the back of a queue favouring their full time cadets.

Alternatively, you could add a type rating to your JAR licence at Flight Safety, Simcom et al, and have the FAA ATP additional bits included in your final checkride. A bit more expensive than a Part 61 light twin or single but you'd have a type rating on both your JAR ATPL & newly gained FAA ATP.

**Even if you didn't need a TSA check for the Part 61 light aircraft route, you will need one if you choose the type rating route if the type is >12500lb.

Tinstaafl
17th Jun 2011, 22:29
Oops...

I read that as 'stand alone'. Missed the 'not...'

Like SoCal wrote: You'll need TSA insecurity checks.

winch launch
18th Jun 2011, 20:39
Thanks a lot for your help guys!
Also went through the Visa / Sevis sticky thread and realised I should try and get an M-1 visa as I didn't fly MEP for a while now so I definitely need some training before the check ride.
The problem is that when I search schools offering the ATP certificate and prep courses in FL, it seems they only consider sponsoring for an M-1 visa if you go for their integrated/Ab-initio courses. If anyone was in my case and found a good school for that I would highly appreciate some school names.

Once back in Europe I d like to fly IFR on a N-registered aircraft. Can i automatically do that with an MEL ATP or do I also need a SEL ATP?

While I am at it, I have got two JAA Current Boeing ratings. I once went through a topic on Pprune that I can't find anymore explaining the steps to get your JAA Type Ratings stamped on your new FAA ATP licence.Is it still possible to do that?

Again thanks for the very comprehensive replies.

Tinstaafl
19th Jun 2011, 00:53
The FAA won't just stamp your JAA type ratings onto your FAA licence. You'll need to do a checkride for each type rating. That's similar to what I wrote before about doing the FAA ATP checkride the same time as a type rating at one of the simulator schools. In your case you may be able to arrange a somewhat abbreviated course eg a renewal/refresher sort of thing, with a checkride for the ATP + type rating at the end. You'd need a second checkride for your other type.

janrein
19th Jun 2011, 01:00
Goodday Winch Launch,

The few references I can mention from personal experience.

Naples Air Center in Florida, a combined FAA&JAA school: I did my FAA PP Certificate (selfstanding) with them, happy. Hadn´t noticed many on higher training there at the time, not that I recall that is.

Sheble Aviation in Arizona, at the time in Kingman, they seem to have moved elsewhere within the State. Done CP-SEL-SES-MEL-IR with them, happy. Now they advertise also MES and Glider (re: your name ...).

For anything not "on the basis of" the requirements include theory exams for which you may want to prepare before moving in. Gleims mentioned upthread are good material.

In Sheble´s I do recall people coming in (from within the USA as well as from overseas) to do their ATPs.

My last time around had been in 2007, do let us know your experiences, where ever you may go.

Best of luck.

For Glider another reference: Seminole Lake, Florida ...