PDA

View Full Version : A&P school

kenguan
17th Jun 2011, 10:18
Anyone can recommend any good / reputable school offering A&P crash course (2 week course or so) & exam nearby to LAX?

demon_duck
17th Jun 2011, 10:23
Avtech (Exams?) in Riverside. Quick and flexible.

I'm sure there are numerous others threads that have covered this. Try a search.

DD

OEI-Dave
17th Jun 2011, 19:25
Unless you have 30 months combined or 1600hrs per segment OR someone to sign you off a two week course is impossible. There is no way you will meet the mandated experience to be eligable to test

TURIN
17th Jun 2011, 21:52
When did that come in Dave?

Just curious. There was a time that it could be done in a few days.

kenguan
18th Jun 2011, 00:05
Dave,

Yes I already have the experience required, so no problems with that. I even have my 8310-2 signed already. Now is just to go sit for the exams, but of course I believe to go for the "crash course + exam" package which comes up to about 2 weeks is the best option.
Am looking to do enroll at some school near LAX

Ibbydoo
18th Jun 2011, 02:33
Agree with Demon Duck………

Try the address below. I hear they are good & may accommodate your inclusive 2 weeks time-frame……..buddies have been there & speak highly of them.

AvTech Exams Airframe and Powerplant TestingAvTech Exams Airframe and Powerplant Testing

6951 Flight Rd # 202
Riverside, CA 92504-1956, United States
Tel: (951) 352-8180

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... 8610-2.pdf (http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/form/faa8610-2.pdf)

The above is the site/application form for the A&P. Basically as I remember you fill this out and take it to a FSO and they review your application and determine if you can get the A&P. This is where you need your school documentation and the letter from CAA confirming that you already have a AME license, take your log book, the more info the better. You need to have this done before you can start writing the tests. (You may need to have a letter from your employer why you need a A&P, as the FAA don't like giving issuing out anymore, unless your a Yank).

I hear Avtech Courses are condensed and contained. If you mess up a exam you can re-write it right away without having to plan a second trip. The DME's they have for the oral and practical are fair. Avtech have deals all over town for accommodation and such.

As for a FSO, they have one in San Jose and they are pretty cool too.
Ibbydoo :)

Liney
18th Jun 2011, 17:11
OK not near LAX but how about Federal exams in Oklahoma.

FAA exams / FAA pilot exams. A&P exams, A&P school courses, A&P prep and more. (http://www.federalexams.com)

I did mine there in 7 days...start to finish.

Course + accomodation at their ranch + hire car, all for a total price of $2000

but note...

"Federal Exams is a refresher course for individuals with civil, airline, manufacturing, FAA approved repair station or military documented evidence of 18/30 months practical experience. All others require a graduation certificate or certificate of completion from a certificated aviation maintenance technician school."

And now there are no tornadoes :eek:

kenguan
22nd Jun 2011, 23:54
Avtech-exams.com website looks realy simple, nothing fancy, but I think they sound good, especially the part where you can order all your study material to study from home & only go there for 3 days (so they say) for final prep & exam.
Any "advantages" if you take the 3 day compared to the 10 day course?
I would definitely like the 3 day course so that I don't have to spend so many days in the US.

Also, does anyone have any idea if there is a time limit for the 8610-2?
I got my 8610-2 signed almost 2 years ago, but am planning to sit for the exam only next year (it's a long story how this happened...)

Liney
24th Jun 2011, 14:15
Also, does anyone have any idea if there is a time limit for the 8610-2?
I got my 8610-2 signed almost 2 years ago, but am planning to sit for the exam only next year (it's a long story how this happened...) My 8610-2 was signed in 2003 and I finally got round to the writtens and O+P in April 2011.
Even the FAA district office which signed my 8610-2 no longer existed .... but form went thru no problems. :ok:

One advantage of going thru a school maybe is that if there are problems with the form they know the right people to correct it ;)

The only time limit is once you have started the exam process - you have 2 years to complete all items

aerodynamics_guy
2nd Jul 2011, 11:28
Hi there.

maybe its worth contacting Bakers school in nashville. I did mine there all went smooth.did it in 12 days including oral and practical. try it. and best of luck:).

aerodynamics_guy

aerodynamics_guy
2nd Jul 2011, 11:39
Ideal situation is when you got your form signed, you should have left date blank untill such time you are ready for your exams. yes after 2 years the FAA can ask you for a new form if they picked it up but again the school where you will attend for your crash course would give you the best advice. they must have been there before with other guys.

Aerodynamics_guy

kenguan
6th Jul 2011, 00:35
Avtechexams AV101 home study package sounds really good, as you buy the materials & study at home & only go to Avtechexams school for maybe 4 days, for prep & actual written & practical exam,

BUT

I contacted them & they said it's not available for those outside of the US...

Looks like "foreigners" have no choice but to take the 10 working day course (which comes up to 2 weeks)...

Any other schools which can give short courses? Preferably in LAX area & preferably less than 10 working days, 1 week would be ideal...

demon_duck
6th Jul 2011, 05:28
A friend of mine did Avtech in 5 days last year.

kenguan
6th Jul 2011, 07:23
Well, I contacted AVTech & all they said is I have to take the 10 day course as homestudy package is not applicable to thouse outside of US...

There is a 5 day course but that's for only either Airframe or Powerplant, not both.

Johnie_1
22nd Jul 2011, 03:37
Hi All,

Im looking at doing a prep course for A & P i have contacted Av tech in Riverside and they run a 10 course. Does anyone know what they are like? Is there any standouts in the US when it comes to prep courses?

Also whats the likelyhood of the US transitioning to the EASA style licencing system? Any ideas?

Thanks

J

Johnie_1
25th Jul 2011, 02:02
Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys?

Cheers

John

vestro
27th Jul 2011, 16:18
I have just completed my A & P at Avtech,,, Although it is listed as a 10 day course,,, if you are up to it you can do all 3 exams as soon as you like,,, I would recommend contacting them and buy the A & P disc with all the exams on it prior to arriving & practise up,,,, you want to be hitting 80 % consistantly before attempting exams...
Only thing I didnt like was you dont do you Oral & Prac at Riverside,, this is done elsewhere & can prove to be a headache for foreigners like me...
Still I recommend Avtech...
Vestro

shumway76
3rd Aug 2011, 03:37
Vestro,

Congrats!

Did you enroll in the 10 day course?
As kenguan mentioned, AVtech does not allow AV101 homepackage to foreigners.

Where did you end up doing the oral & practical? What kind of "headache" did you experience?

Kengineer-130
27th Oct 2011, 21:14
Would it make life much easier having an Easa B licence before attempting to gain an A&P rating? I have all my modules for B1&2, but I need 9 months more experience before I can apply for my ticket :(

grounded27
27th Oct 2011, 22:09
Would it make life much easier having an Easa B licence before attempting to gain an A&P rating? I have all my modules for B1&2, but I need 9 months more experience before I can apply for my ticket Sadly enough, I believe your lack of training on antiquated aircraft (fabric and such) may hold you back without the experience. But only way to know for sure is to try!!

shumway76
8th Nov 2011, 22:37
I don't think FAA gives ANY form of exemptions when it comes to the A&P exam, you still have to sit for all the written & oral & practical...And I think FAA doesn't quite like EASA licensing, as A&P is a hands on person, while EASA LAEs are generally more on the supervising role, depending on which company you work for though.