PDA

View Full Version : Branson - Give Customers their Due

myshoutcaptain
17th Jun 2011, 05:53
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6043/branson.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/branson.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Paired with JB's quote (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/borghetti-rule-been-there-done-that-as-far-as-qantas-is-concerned/story-e6frg95x-1226076670247) in The Australian today "I accepted the fact I didn't get it (the chief executive's job) and I wanted to see how things were going to go. But after a time I saw the company was going in a direction I didn't want to go."

ampclamp
17th Jun 2011, 06:13
Credit to the man for saying he'll take credit if it succeeds and the blame if it fails.

Jabawocky
17th Jun 2011, 06:51
We tell our customers exactly how it is, and how its going to be. Of course we sit in a position of knowledge and expertise, and if they do not like it our way, they have the democratic right to get it wrong or do it another way, but not on our watch.

Give them a great result, and they come back. Lately we have won over some serious big companies in our part of the world against the mighty giants of industry from Germany, real David & Goliath stuff, and why? The truth and the brutal honest facts of life.

Reading that article makes me feel we are on the right track.

I see from friends and being a customer of VA compared to a QF customer a big culture change and the Borg is winning over folk bit by bit.

Mrs Jaba who works for a big end of town miner came back from Mackay yesterday on a VA Jungle jet, ask her which leg of the trip, QF up and VA back was the better customer experience......;). Its a pity as I have a number of QF group friends and I feel for their workplace situation.

Ka.Boom
17th Jun 2011, 06:55
Merging with TAA
No triple sevens
No Borghetti
Not looking after their Staff.
Look after your staff and they will look after your customers

The Bunglerat
17th Jun 2011, 07:48
Great comments from Branson & JB. I agree with their sentiments wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, somewhere between the Top Brass & the people at the frontline, the sentiments are lost. I don't want to sound cynical, & I have genuine high hopes & optimism for the future of VA, but the fact remains we still have a few "outstanding" individuals that either need to embrace the cultural change, or make an exit - preferably sooner than later.

PPRuNe Towers
17th Jun 2011, 08:01
Will one of you be sending that clipping to SRB? Virgin Atlantic pilots' strike ballot is complete and results out next week.

Rob

Cactusjack
17th Jun 2011, 09:04
What a sickening load of ****e. Branson is a salesman and master bulls#it artist. He may idolise Kelleher but Kelleher he isn't. And he may supposedly place the customer first, but he is not in it for them. He certainly puts emphasis on senior management (happy to turn them all into millionaires), but any other staff member is collateral damage.
This bloke is a pied piper who plays his tune and most of the doey eyed nimrods who work for him follow along blissfully, remaining unaware they are part of his act. Those who either know better or wake up to the tune being played leave as quick as they can.
I am shocked that anybody working in any of his airlines could still actually defend this guy and think he is a good bloke, and follow him like a lapdog.
I have 'been there done that' and wouldn't pi#s on him if he was on fire.

Mr. Hat
17th Jun 2011, 09:31
Oh you beat me to it Pprune Towers! How did Branson go in the last Atlantic negotiations when the boys made a stand? Sounds like the V Atlantic guys have a sturdy set of balls when it comes to EBA's.

Having said that I'd rather him on his worst day than ANY of the Qf people on their best. The industry would be a much better place without them. Whereas I do think Branson contributes in his own way to some degree.

stubby jumbo
17th Jun 2011, 10:22
Top Serve Cactus Jack !!!

In 2004 I was at Subi Oval in Perth for a Dockers v Port game and Branson did a "lap of honour" in a Mustang to "celebrate" the arrival of DJ in PER.

The dope was off his dial on "whatever" with 3 Virgin "hotties/hosties" in Bikini's.

As you would expect from the WA crowd .......they booed and jeered him ...all way round. WA was /is/and always will be a AN state.
His media stunt fell flat on its face. He's a goose!

Oh how I miss the Subi cauldron on a Saturday arvo:ok:

Captain Dart
17th Jun 2011, 11:26
I've said it once, and I'll say it again: naming an airline after a person who has never had sex is a bizarre concept, at least in Australia. SRB is not particularly adulated in this part of the world, he has Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' to thank for his leg-up to success, and he should have stuck to music promotion.

And the new livery is...erm...'underwhelming' to say the least.

Buying the Ansett name would have been 'the QANTAS killer'.

Mr. Hat
17th Jun 2011, 12:41
WA was /is/and always will be a AN state.

thats even sadder than an old man with young hotties doing laps of an oval in a mustang..

..because thats the way we did it at Ansett.

The Bunglerat
17th Jun 2011, 12:42
Can't say I'm familiar with the goings-on at Virgin Atlantic, but the above comments leave me in no doubt as to the general feelings towards SRB.

I've never met the guy, & I'm not going to dispute what has been said by fellow PPRuNers, but I do still believe in the sentiments espoused by him. If it's a case of "talking the talk" instead of "walk the walk," that is indeed sad. :(

empire4
17th Jun 2011, 14:02
Good to see the old Ansett guys still kicking. Did you type in your old uniforms??? Unfortunetly Ansett is dead, and will remain dead. MOVE ON.

The only major airline in Australia, that is still advertising to employ Australians is Virgin. SRB is a great business man. How many people will be talking about Subiaco hot lap for years? work it out, its marketing......

When did Ansett collapse, oh yeah after 9/11. Australia has got some seriously tough economic times ahead and the race is on which airline will bust first. QF is not winning!

Captain Dart
17th Jun 2011, 23:08
No, unfortunately, I couldn't type in my old Ansett uniform, I had to hand it back during 'that year'. They may have thoroughly laundered it for some s%#b to wear. Stain removal was very important in those times.

SRB and JB have missed a golden opportunity to rename and reinvent 'Person Who Has Never Had Sex Airlines' into one reflecting true Australian aviation heritage and service. And of course, they could still make the point about employing Australians.

It would have improved SRB's image no end, seen as a 'knight in shining armour' resurrecting an Australian icon, rather than an aging British bearded wonder cavorting with 'hotties'; that does not really strike a chord with many Australians.

stubby jumbo
17th Jun 2011, 23:43
Empire.....I'm not "an old AN guy still kicking". Have been with the Rat for many years -some of those Golden Years in the West.

But,agree with Dart......the "person who had never had sex" airline missed the opportunity to boot his brand up the totem poll offering real "full service "competition to Qantas domestically.

AN #2 would have been a winner......because it was Australian AND it was (back then anyway !) not run by a bunch of financial / KKR numbnuts who have not a whiff of aviation pedigree.(see latest Board appointment):ugh:

The face with a bearded clam stuck on it -is a master in free marketing. Listen to him in any interview and he just rambles on and babbles about nothing.

Imagine the love child between him and Ms Wirth. :eek:

The Bunglerat
18th Jun 2011, 00:15
SRB and JB have missed a golden opportunity to rename and reinvent 'Person Who Has Never Had Sex Airlines' into one reflecting true Australian aviation heritage and service. And of course, they could still make the point about employing Australians.

I must respectfully disagree on the naming issue. Part of the strategy - particularly when JB has invested so much time in setting up codeshare alliances - is to tap into the global market as much as the domestic business one. Incoming international travellers to Australia are familiar with the "Virgin" name, & I don't think anyone can argue that it's one of the most recognisable in the world. As such, I think it would been foolish to drop it.

Race Bannon
18th Jun 2011, 00:31
Ask someone on the Streets of NYC about Ansett and you will get a blank look.Ask them about Virgin and you will get a response.Its all about global recognition.Love him or loathe him Branson sure knows how to build a brand.The fools at Qantas know how to destroy a brand

Captain Dart
18th Jun 2011, 00:36
I take your point sirs, but Australia has, is and always will be 'the end of the line' as far as international travellers are concerned; except maybe for a few scientists going to Mawson Base in Antarctica.

I am sure that the revenue from a loyal domestic and regional base group of passengers would far outstrip that from the odd backpacker connecting to Gold Coast; especially with the high Aussie dollar and the mining boom.

Capetonian
18th Jun 2011, 00:39
Read his autobiography 'Losing my Virginity' where he depicts himself as a smart and likeable chap who pulled a couple of harmless stunts to get into business.

Then read Tom Bowyer's bio. of him and read about the two-faced ruthless mercenary backstabber who would walk on people and grind his heel in their faces to get what he wanted.

The truth .... maybe somewhere between those two extremes.

Mr. Hat
18th Jun 2011, 00:46
Three sides to every story the truth is somewhere in the middle I'd suspect.

Reality is Virgin Australias big growth in years to come will be international.

Icarus2001
18th Jun 2011, 03:26
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1841154008.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I can recommend this as an antidote to his self promotion.

Capetonian
18th Jun 2011, 10:12
Exactly the one I meant, only I spelt the author's name wrong.