PDA

View Full Version : BM - good luck guys

Africano
29th Dec 2000, 02:25
Well, the moment of truth is on its way.....

I've got my interview with British Midland on the 9th Jan. Anyone else got theirs before me?
This is the first time applying for sponsorship, so I have no idea what to expect (yes, I'm crapping myself and have no idea how I got through.) Nevermind, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I got the previous info about the interviews from WX MAN (posted 13th - thanx). Was wondering if there was anybody else out there with some useful info on interview technique.

It really would be appreciated.....
Thanx

Teroc
29th Dec 2000, 17:30
Good luck Africano. Got the "We are sorry to inform you..." PFO letter myself so i wont be going along this time. Post your experience of the interview afterwards as im sure it'll benefit us all somewhere along the line.

Good luck again....
Teroc.

TrimTab
30th Dec 2000, 00:34
Hi there

I presume that you are attending OATS for you first interview in January? I found that interview the most difficult, but they werent trying to catch anyone out.

If you have done any flying before then make sure you have brushed up on your a/c type, general nav, and principles of flight type stuff etc... Also make sure your log book looks decent(ish!). Be prepared for a the obvious questions of why you want to be a pilot (they often really push this one) and do you really know what the job is about? They are looking for more than someone just being able to fly planes eg customer service, "managing" the flight, interpersonal skills, decision making, etc.....

Also be prepared for them to try and change your mind over a couple of answers that you give. So when they ask you a question think about your answer, justify it if necessary and then with consideration stick to your guns. I think the most important bit is to be open and honest. They have asked in the past "did you speed on the way here today?" (if you arrived by car) or "have you ever told a lie"...the chances are to both questions that the answer is yes - so be honest!

Hey good luck to all who are going let us know how you get on.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Perfect PFL
30th Dec 2000, 14:43
Good luck with your BM interview. I went for the interview a few weeks ago as I had passed the psychometric testing last year.
As others have said, make sure you know your basic technical stuff, and be honest with your answers, then they can't catch you out.
Have good answered prepared for the obvious questions like why you want to be an airline pilot, and for BM etc, as they always come up.

dubfly
4th Jan 2001, 12:55
Is the majority of technical questions on aircraft or is it a lot more generalised.

travelkev
9th Jan 2001, 16:54
I have my BM 2nd round interviews on the 11th so any tips from your time on the 9th would be greatly appreciated.

Perfect PFL
10th Jan 2001, 16:26
Mainly PPL type level questions on aircraft and met stuff. Just to see what basic knowledge you have.

Teroc
11th Jan 2001, 22:06
How did everyone get on at their interview ?
Any surprises ?

T.

Token Bird
12th Jan 2001, 00:48
It was too traumatic for me to talk about yet.

Token Bird

Africano
12th Jan 2001, 17:41
Join the club Token Bird.
I'm still kicking myself, but you never know!!!
Any idea when we get told the news?????

Going Around
13th Jan 2001, 18:01
They are interviewing until 23rd Feb so don't expect any news until March. The waiting doesn't get any easier!!!

Perfect PFL
13th Jan 2001, 18:53
It's going to be a long wait before the results are out.
Does anyone know how long we are likely to wait between getting the results of our interviews and going to the final stage (if we are lucky enough to get through :) )
Also, has anyone been to the final interview with BM before and know what it involves?
I've heard that some people have had to do a presentation before, but I don't think that's always the case, any ideas?
Good luck everyone. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Flying Fox
13th Jan 2001, 19:01
BM final interview consists of about 40-50 mins with CP of the Fokker fleet and an Airbus Training Capt (I think, can't remember).

Mostly personal stuff (why did you do the A-levels you chose, why uni if you went), what you've done since school/uni, some CRM-type role plays (cadet on your course is taking drugs, what do you do - might have got that one at OATS too) that sort of thing. They'll have a large model of one of the fleet next to you and overshadowing you, and you'll have to speak a bit about it. Some technical questions relating to dutch roll and other jet-type questions (Handling the Big Jets by D.P. Davies is good for this), and if you have flying experience (any at all) make sure you know a fair bit about the technical side of your aircraft (engine, standard settings, how the flaps operate...)

Presentation was on CFIT last time. They'll send you a letter about a week (if you're lucky!) in advance of your interview and tell you what the topic is, and you'll have to prepare a 10 minute stand-up presentation on it (white board and pens provided). The other area they asked you to prepare for last time was an analysis of the CRM implications of the Airtours Puerto Plata tailstike incident, the report can be found at AAIB website somewhere and is quite lengthy.

So there is a fair bit to do for BM. Best of luck to you all. :) Not sure how many they took on last year but there were 50 candidates at this final stage.

FF

[This message has been edited by Flying Fox (edited 13 January 2001).]

Damn Boxes !
16th Jan 2001, 01:50
:) No worries token bird; everyone finds the interviewers have the horrible tenacity of an aggressive jack russel when they get on a subject you'd rather they moved on from. I saw them in 94 (or 95); crashed and burned; lose some, win some.

A word of advice; if you've got a type on your licence, (more for dep) make sure you know about every nut and bolt on it, even if you're no longer current.

travelkev
17th Jan 2001, 16:05
I echo everyone's sentiments - the second round with BM (interviews at Oxford) was a tad on the intense side but hey - if we all found it that way we can't take it personally.

They have to take someone don't they?!

Perfect PFL
17th Jan 2001, 16:13
Let's hope so!
Good luck to everyone who's got their interviews coming up soon, hopefully I'll see some of you at the final interview, if I get through.

travelkev
30th Jan 2001, 17:02
Well good luck everyone and fingers crossed for the end of February which, I guess, is the moment of truth.

K

travelkev
17th Feb 2001, 21:31
Well I was amazed to hear yesterday that I am through to the third round of the BM application process - the interviews at the HQ. Does anyone know what this involves and when it is likely to take place?

dubfly
22nd Feb 2001, 01:38
How were you informed?

Did anybody else hear yet?

M13
22nd Feb 2001, 18:33
M13 got a suprise call.

You wait all your life for one then two come along at once!! Bloody Busses

M13

togaroo
22nd Feb 2001, 20:31
know what you mean!!

ROTATION
22nd Feb 2001, 21:09
Me too!
Seems three in a row was too much too ask for though!
Oh well. :)
Good luck everyone!!

[This message has been edited by ROTATION (edited 22 February 2001).]