PDA

View Full Version : BA Pilots Progression

blackknight
16th Feb 2001, 19:52
Hi, I am currently looking forward to my second attempt at final board with BA, i was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the sort of progression that a newly qualified pilot can expect. Most likely aircraft to fly initially, and then how long before promotion beckons and other aircraft come into the picture, longer sectors etc..

Any help will be appreciated

Blackknight

icemaiden
16th Feb 2001, 20:31
Blacknight,

I expect you will receive a lot more worthy replies than the one I can offer, but I'll offer it anyway...

When all you move on to line training it is usually in the right hand seat (one would hope) of a 737 or 757/ 767.

Career progression is run on a seniority system, so when for example a command is available training will be offered to the person highest on the seniority list. It has nothing to do with age, but everything to do with the date you join.

I am not sure about changing fleet - but I would imagine the official line is "subject to commercial requirements -"

Again, I hope this is correct, if it isn't I'm sure someone will post a fuller reply!!

Good luck with the final board ;)

SKYYACHT
16th Feb 2001, 21:20
Blackknight

As stated, you would initially be attached to one of the short-haul fleets, which at BA is mainly 737-300/400 etc, or the Airbus A319/320/321. After a cadetship, you will do a Jet Orientation course, which is probably done on a 737 sim - about a dozen hours,. Then to Cranebank, for a twelve day tech conversion course, followed by CRM, Safety Equipment and Procedures training etc. This is followed by a further 9-12 days of Sim training, which is then followed by some line and base checks. Career progression is a mixture of seniority, luck, and willingness to move from base to base. I know of Cadets who have come off A320/B737 Shorthaul fleets after a year, and are now newly qualified in the right seat of something a bit larger,.

Hope that helps.

Tailwinds

:)

Lau Che
16th Feb 2001, 21:25
Ice Maiden has pretty much knocked the nail on the head there but don't forget you may end up on A319/320 as more of them come into service.

Career progression is via the seniority system with 'bids' being made for type conversion ie 737 to 747 and command although personal suitabilities are also taken in to account.

You could expect to bid to change from short EOG based routes to the longer (better paid) LHR based routes after 5-10 years of being on the line. At your FB don't make it souns as if you are desperate to be a long haul captain as you run the risk of being asked a load of questions about why you want to be one...

Most of all good luck down there, be honest, open and smile a lot!

Regards.

Colsburg
17th Feb 2001, 02:06
To question a little further.... I was talking to a BA 777 captain a while back and he said that where you are initially based can seriously affect your career progression.

How do they decide where you are positioned first and does it affect career progression?

Positive Climb
17th Feb 2001, 23:12
You will start on one of these fleets:

737 - MAN / LGW / LHR
757 - LHR
A319/320 - LHR / BHX

The choice of where your first base / fleet will be is based on one simple theory -'demand'. You will go to which ever fleet requires F/O's on the day your name comes to the top of the list.

The reason why your first base can effect future progression is that different bases and fleets have different length 'freezes'. If a pilot is frozen on type or at a base, he is unable to move unless the company require him elsewhere. The principle behind this is that the airline can minimise training costs, enhance fleet stability and exert a greater influence over who goes where.

In all honesty, the relevance of your first base in terms of future career progression will always be far less than the all important 'date of joining'. The key is to get onto that seniority list ASAP !

------------------
"You call 'Positive Climb' and I'll ask for the gear up. We'll climb away at V2 +15"

[This message has been edited by Positive Climb (edited 17 February 2001).]

flaps
19th Feb 2001, 00:38
Just to add more.

Jet Orientation course provides 11 4-hour sim sessions where you will be P1 for half and P2 for the other half.

Standard new entrant equipment freeze is now 5 years (I think) at all bases. I know it was 3 years in the regions and at LHR until recently but that has changed. With that in mind it doesn't make much difference where you start. As mentioned above it is your date of joining that is most important in determining where you move to subsequently.

Cough
19th Feb 2001, 13:03
Initial freeze is 3 Years at the Regions (BHX, MAN), 5 everywhere else...(LHR +LGW)