PDA

View Full Version : CITY OF BRISTOL or AST?

warda_mk
15th Jun 2011, 22:29
Dear all,
Hi,I'm Warda Mehtab from Karachi.I want to pursue my career as Aircraft Maintenance Engineer & thus wish to opt for EASA B2 license.Thing is I have only done A-levels & now Im totally confused what must be done & from where to start.I read on loads of forums that apprenticeship is the best route to be in the field,but lets face it, not everyone can have a grab at one of the apprenticships offered by aviation industries/organisation.If I go for B2 through
institutes/colleges like city of bristol,AST will I be able to get work experience after the completion of my course?Or is apprenticeship is the only way to set foot in the industry..
Im realllyyyy confused & in need of serious guidance,PLease u all are educated people who have had the opportunity to have your career in such an industry,your guidance will sure help me find my right path.
Looking forward to ur reply,
Best of Regards,
Warda Mehtab

Abbas Kanani
16th Jun 2011, 08:46
Dear Ms. Warda Mehtab

My name is Abbas and I am also from Karachi, I did my apprenticeship training program from Pakistan International Airlines on self finance basis in Aerospace, It was a 3 year program out of which two years we had to do on the job training on latest modern fleet of PIA (Boeing and Airbus), I got second position with 91% marks but the fact is that, no one is ready to appreciate my apprenticeship, like European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) License, Now after spending three years in PIA, hopefully I will get job in PIA but CAA Pakistan license has no worth if you compare it with EASA's qualification, My age is 24.5 years and I am again planning to start my career with EASA's qualification as it has world wide demand and this license is Internationally Recognized.

You are very luck that you choose the correct path at initial stage, I will recommend you to go for EASA's license, either B1 or B2 or both and there are many ways to go for it. I will recommend you to join EASA 147 approved school If you can afford training cost and EASA 147 approved school are lot more expensive than any other pathway, there are many EASA 147 approved schools in UK but it will cost you around 33 to 35 lacks or maybe more with accomodation food etc to completed 2400 hours of training in almost 2 years or a it less as prescribed by CAA UK, you know sterling rate is much more if u compare it with our currency there is one school in China Its name is TAECO Training Center its also EASA 147 approved school, and It will take you 1.5 years (18 months) to complete your B2 training and it will cost you around 22 to 23 lacks with Food Accomodation Training Visa Ticket everything, you can check TAECO website too.

Now as u asked about Experience requirement, If you are going through EASA 147 approved school then you have to show 2 years of maintenance experience on operating aircraft with the Certificate of Recognition to get your License, you will get the Certificate of Recognition once you will pass all the required modules of B1 or B2 License, But If you are choosing any other way to get your EASA license lets say Self Starter Route, Distance Learning Program, or Second Site approved Schools then you will have to show 5 years of maintenanace experience on operating aircraft with the Certificate of Recognition to get your license,

One Good news for you is that, we have 2 schools in our own city that is offering EASA B1 and B2 licensing program with the collabraion of UK and Qatar EASA's 147 approved school and they have JUST JUST started offering this program, One school is in North Nazimabad Its name is Edulearn Air Service Academy and It has signed Partnership with Air Service Training Perth, and their Very First Batch will start in July 2011 hopefully and maybe I am gonna enroll for this course, the other school is ATS Training Institute its located at Terminal 2, and they have signed collabration with Qatar Aeronautical College, Doha to give EASA B1 and B2 qualification, If you are going to enroll in this school then the duration period of training is of 3 years and maintenance experience that you will have to show will be extended to 5 years as these two schools have signed with partnership and they havent EASA 147 approved.

Now the main point is that where you will get your first job ???????????? after completion of your entire program wither from UK, Pakistan, China etc. This is a bit challenging thing, though EASA qualification is worldwide acceptable but you will not be having your license, soon after completion of your program, Now Hope for the Best and try at Shaheen or Airblue or PIA or in Middle Eastern Countries there are many charter airliners, as this is a recognized qualification so Inshallah you will not suffer from disappointment once you get a job you will have to log experience. or a bitter point is that as I have read on internet maybe you will have to work without being paid by employer for sometime just to fulfill your experience requirement and once you will get your license you will hopefully get a good job, but I dont really know all about this, you better ask someone else on this forum who can guide you for the very first job, and once you get the reply regarding your first job do let me know too

Regards,
Abbas

Ifrah ali
3rd Jan 2013, 17:14
salam warda i want to tell you one thing is that edulearn is a fake or farud academy in karachi and i am the student of it and i knw it cery well so please its a humble request for you from my heart my dear frnd please dnt get admision in that academy if you could you loss your money and as well as your time pia started b1 lincese program in june and you can easily join it or it is a easa part 66 approved from uk and you get it easily and if you want right now so star avaiation is registerd from qatar and they started from march b1 you can join it easily so now its your decession ok take care my dear frined have a nice day.

voaji2002
10th Jan 2013, 14:35
i dont know about AST but i finished from COBC and i must say they do a type course on A320 and OJT for 3 months hopefully on thesame aircraft but yes its quite a good experience plus bristol is a lovely city to be in. during my time, we did the OJT with thomas cook airlines in manchester where we were opportuned to work on other aircrafts like 767,757 apart from A320.
hope this helps

shahzaib
8th Apr 2014, 11:26
can anyone tell me about edulearn air services academy??
is it better institute for aircraft maintenance engineering?