PDA

View Full Version : Skiathos/refuelling?

Atishoo
15th Jun 2011, 20:32
Does anyone know if you still have to refuel in thessaloniki on route back from Skiathos to the Uk these days?

We flew out 20 years ago and had to refuel on way back. I read recently that certain flights do not have to. EG thomson ( whom were flying with).

Does anyone know the answer to this please?

Phileas Fogg
15th Jun 2011, 22:31
It's nothing to do with fuel availabilty in Skiathos, it's the (lack of) length of the runway, fuel makes the aircraft heavier, they need to take off light, hence a fuel stop at the nearest convenient port.

TCX69
16th Jun 2011, 00:05
It also depends on the A\C type.. The B757 I believe, can make it back to the UK in 1 go but others such as the A320, A321 & B737 all need to tech stop enroute. Usually SKG, KVA or JTR..

max alt
16th Jun 2011, 06:49
Correct,the 757 can make it direct to the uk.We took over from our airbus colleagues for that very reason.I remember doing the proving trials at skiathos on a lovely day one april.Bashing the circuit in a 757 with the sky to ourselves ,happy memories. :ok:

Jerbourg
16th Jun 2011, 09:30
I have flown direct (as SLF) to LGW from JSI on an Air 2000 A321 back in Oct 2000, since then I have also made stops at BUD, SKG & LXS on the way back to LGW.

TSR2
16th Jun 2011, 09:33
since then I have also made stops at BUD, SKG & LXS on the way back to LGW.

Good heavens, that must have been a long journey then !! :ok:

fueldump
16th Jun 2011, 10:50
TOM B757 is direct back to the UK:ok:

windytoo
16th Jun 2011, 11:06
The Company is irrelevant. The 757 makes it to the UK in one go, the Airbus family don't unless they have a light load. Therefore quite often Airbuses are programmed to do a double drop/ pick up e.g. SKG and VOL, so that extra fuel can be loaded at a scheduled rather than tech. stop.

G-AZUK
16th Jun 2011, 13:42
and if you get a chance, walk from town down to the airport road and spend the afternoon watching stuff like this Photos: Boeing 737-3Q4 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/JAT-Airways/Boeing-737-3Q4/1638002/M/)

wouldhave
16th Jun 2011, 18:16
JTR? Why would the plane fly south to Santorini to refuel.

Most aircraft if they do need to refuel go do so at Volos, Kavala or Thessaloniki. Volos does tend to be a double drop for some of the smaller tour operators such as Sunvil.

However having said that I did once do a Zagreb refuel on a Skiathos flight but that was many years ago.

As everyone else has said depends on the aircraft, winds, loads etc.

AircraftOperations
16th Jun 2011, 22:03
I'm fairly sure that there have been A320 flights from JSI direct to the north of the UK recently with almost a full pax load in the last couple of weeks. Guess it comes down to temps and wind as well as the company involved.

Phileas Fogg
16th Jun 2011, 22:26
Well the that guys indicate it is only Airbus products that have the problem B737 classics (-300 variety) also had the problem.

Flight plans are generated by computers with, pretty much, up to date met reports, in theory there should always be an en-route headwind back to UK but occasionally the en-route winds might be 'still air' (ish) or indeed tail winds.

Still air or wind up backside = less fuel = lesser take off weight, = "let's fuel up to get home"!

Atishoo
19th Jun 2011, 21:35
I'm REALLY pleased i looked at the pics of the aircraft landing (NOT) lol

Were going on the Thomson 757 so hopefully no refuel. I have a child who vomits at every landing, so 2 sick bags i dont want !