PDA

View Full Version : Got the license, ratings and thinking of a change, need advice

Moemen Shahawy
15th Jun 2011, 00:29
Hello All,
Ok, no need for introductions and explanations, probably you're all aware of the situations for those like me who are newly in the field with no jobs

I'm in Egypt so the situation may be a little different than in other places, here airlines hire local first officers with no previous experience

I got my CPL with IR and went on to acquire an A320 type rating (i know many would say it unwise, but that's what everyone do here, get a rating and get a job as a first officer under training for 200 hours)..it all costed an average of $90,000 USD (i know it's a lot, but that's what i would pay in any college here... life is expensive)

i did all that and got the A320, then... boom !! the Egyptian revolution begun.... many companies closed leaving many experienced pilots out hunting for jumps... that's no place for me !!

then I got a job offer in PAS (Petroleum Air Services) - helicopter first officer on a Bell 412 or AW319... they will pay everything.... from the travel expenses to the US for the helicopter transition (6 months), to the accommodation, to the type rating.... EVERYTHING... but i will have to sign a contract of 5 years where i can't leave them or i would pay a fine... a VERY big fine

it's not an airline too... so people say you would be burying yourself if you get that job, you would be throwing away your self sponsored type rating (A320)
wait and there may be some job openings in a year or something in some charter airline here

but i've waited 2 years without doing a thing, and i can't risk losing that helicopter offer too ! :ugh:

so, any thoughts ? also, i know rotor experience is far far away from fixed wing, but during those 5 years if i get like 2000 hours or something i don't know, does that give me a chance of getting an actual fixed wing job anywhere in the world ? or nobody accredit rotor exp. for fixed wing jobs ?

sorry but i'm kinda desperate here along with many many others

ps. we have NO instructor jobs or C172 jobs like towing banners and stuff like that which i can build some experience on like in the US.... it's either big jets or helicopters

M1ghtyDuck
15th Jun 2011, 00:47
Take the helicopter job you'll enjoy it far more than flying airliners from what I've heard. You can always renew your licence and ratings if you want to go fixed wing again later.

Plus it's a job.

Moemen Shahawy
15th Jun 2011, 01:29
Thanks for that.. will keep it in mind
but i still need to know about the heli experience thing.... would let's say a 1000 or 2000 hours heli exp. qualify me later for a fixed wing job ? or am I changing the field forever

wegdan
15th Jun 2011, 02:53
im also from egypt
please from where you took your licenses ??
my tel 0174464484 i need to talk with u .

welliewanger
15th Jun 2011, 06:47
If you ABSOLUTELY MUST fly for an airline, then the heli job might not be for you. However if your dream is to fly, then it's a simple decision... take the heli job! You'll have a great time, with free training and since they're bonding you, you'll be at the bottom of the list if they do need to fore people. So it's quite a secure job for five years. After that, you'll be in a very good situation to get another heli job.

If, at the end of five years, you're still desperate to fly for an airline, it won't be too difficult to retain your fixed wing currency. As for what your heli experience will count for, that all depends on who is doing the hiring. But it must count for something.

The only reason not to accept the offer is if you positively loathe helicopters. You talk like it would mean that you'd wasted the money on fixed wing training. Well, if you don't get a job on a fixed wing aircraft you'll still have wasted the money!

rmcb
15th Jun 2011, 07:02
I fail to see a problem - if you are that concerned, I'll take over your sponsored training/job, relieve you of the anxiety and review my position in five year's time.

Halfwayback
15th Jun 2011, 10:26
Having done both, I suggest that you take ANY firm job offer at this stage.

Given the current uncertainty you may find that by the time you finish your training and the five year 'pay back' that the fixed wing market is thriving. You will still have an A32x rating, albeit out of date, but it does show that you have a fixed wing skill level.

HWB

Wirbelsturm
15th Jun 2011, 10:44
Having flown the 412 and the A109 AND the A320 I can say categorically that the A109 was the most fun! Couple that with the piloting skills you will achieve through the helicopter flying and the different approach to aviation I would humbly suggest that it would be 5 years well spent.

The A320 is a nice office but, lets be honest here, you are a voting member in conjunction with the FMGS/FAC/ELAC and SEC if they say 'No' your not going to be allowed to do it! :} Great for a year or two then the excitement falls off a bit and following the green line becomes a little mundane! (In my case I ad-hoc'd as an A109 pilot on my days off just to remember the definition of the word 'fun')

In 5 years the world of aviation could be a vastly different place. Grasp the opportunity to expand your skills base and then look at where you want to be in five years.

Trust me, you'll have a blast!

Moemen Shahawy
15th Jun 2011, 10:52
thanks everyone,, you can't imagine how hearing another opinion helps
i'll probably be flying the Bell 412 for 5 years... everyone is saying it's fun !!

and for whom who ask, i got my license with the Egyptian Aviation Academy
& @rmcb: no thanks... i'll keep the job :p

I'm Off!
15th Jun 2011, 12:47
Take the helicopter job - snap their hand off. It's a good offer, you'll enjoy it, and 2000hrs of flying experience is great experience in terms of airmanship, capacity and situational awareness, to say nothing of a really good grounding in CRM, multi-crew ops and some excellent handling skills. This experience will benefit you when you look for airline jobs later on, if that is still what you want to do.

170to5
15th Jun 2011, 23:09
NEVER turn down a job offer - especially if they are paying for your training!

I cannot write NEVER in big enough letters to emphasise it enough!

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jun 2011, 06:24
Hmm...

Airline job: bit of prestige, moderate income, shiny uniform, no job security, crap lifestyle, little real flying.

Helicopter job: bit less prestige, moderately lower income, no uniform, no job security, lots of genuinely fun flying.

Sorry, but as somebody who loves flying, I really can't see your dilema - I'd much rather do the hands-on varied flying of helicopter ops than fly an airliner, so long as I could live on the money.

(Not that I do either job mind you, mine is far more obscure).

G

Moemen Shahawy
16th Jun 2011, 18:12
thank you all, i'm going for the heli one
as far as i hear from everyone, helicopters are more fun and gives you tremendous skills... and that's what i want while i'm still at this age

thanks for the support

BG101
16th Jun 2011, 18:31
Moeman,

Nice predicament.. wish I had the same! You never mention your age tho, 5 years makes a big difference if your in your 30's as opposed to your 20's. But yeah, I reckon it's a deal that can't be refused. Go for it, and enjoy the next 5 years whilst many others are pulling their hair out.

You regret the things you don't do in life, not the things you do...

Congrats on the offer.

Good luck.

BG

Moemen Shahawy
16th Jun 2011, 19:21
thanks BG101

by the way, i'm gonna turn 20 this August :p