PDA

View Full Version : Validity of 'old syllabus' exams after 7 April 2012

Alex Whittingham
14th Jun 2011, 09:12
You may remember that, when they announced the introduction of the new syllabus in the run up to EASA taking over licensing, the CAA AIC said that, if all the exams were not completed by that date 'some' exams 'may have to be retaken'.

This has now been clarified, with the assistance of Stuart Smith, and the following has been announced:

All old syllabus passes can be used post April 2012 with the exception of:

021 Airframes, Systems etc. (Aircraft General Knowledge)
022 Instruments, and
071 Operational Procedures

062 Radio Nav also joins the list unless you have also passed 021 Airframes, Systems etc. in which case it is credited.

The advice must be, then, that if you are not expecting to complete your theory exams by the March sitting at the latest you should take the new papers for the subjects above, rather than the 'old syllabus' papers.

Shiver me timbers!
14th Jun 2011, 23:21
Thanks Alex.

Just a quick Q - for the guys on Digital 5.3 who will be taking all their exams to the new syllabus, do we need to update any learning notes/cds?

Is there any disadvantage to having 5.3 notes as Digital 6 is the newest one isn't it?

Thanks.

Alex Whittingham
16th Jun 2011, 08:29
In the light of this new information I would suggest that you stick with the old syllabus for Module 1, except for Instruments. The differences between the old and new syllabus for Instruments are small enough that they can be covered on the brush-up. When you start Module 2 you will be upgraded to ATP Digital 6.0 which matches the new syllabus.

There are some issues with the UK CAA's delivery of the new exams, particularly in General Nav and Performance (so far), that need to be resolved before I can recommend them with enthusiasm. I don't think that the problem is with the questions, more with the way the CAA compose the papers, for instance having 17 graph questions in Performance is silly.

We are trying to confirm today that the CAA will accept a mix of old and new exams booked simultaneously on two different forms.

mad_jock
16th Jun 2011, 09:07
17 graphs sounds horrible. Is that them trying to get back to the old days of pref?

Shiver me timbers!
16th Jun 2011, 10:08
Alex - I should have been more clear.

Due to time constraints (mainly work) I can't be 100% certain that I'll complete Mod 1 before March. In light of this, do you forsee issues learning the old syllabus but having to take new syllabus exams?

Thanks again for your help.