PDA

View Full Version : How do they fly the V22 ?

stilton
13th Jun 2011, 02:53
As a fixed wing Pilot I only have the most elementary understanding of how helicopters fly and are controlled.

I think it is the Collective (lever down and to the side of the Pilot(s) that controls up and down by altering the Pitch of the main rotor blades.

I believe it is the Cyclic that controls the Disc which 'tilts' to forward flight / banks / or even rearward flight.

And the tail rotor compensates for torque, controlled by the 'rudder pedals' without which the Helicopter would just spin the opposite direction of the Main Rotor.

Excuse my ignorance if I have completely misunderstood things, but if I am roughly correct then I am very curious how the Cockpit Controls work in the V22 Tilt rotor.

Does it have a Collective, or just a conventional Joystick, how is the Nacelle tilt controlled, is there a conventional set of throttles ?

All answers welcome.

Gregg
13th Jun 2011, 11:07
http://www.vtol.org/pdf/flyingTheOsprey.pdf

Decent description here.

hoodie
13th Jun 2011, 12:24
FBW simplifies lots of things, but the biggest problem flying the Osprey as PIC must be the standing up and moving from the right seat to the left seat as you transition to forward flight, and left seat to right seat as you come back into the hover.

stilton
13th Jun 2011, 21:53
Thanks Gregg, very interesting.

Rotorwashed
14th Jun 2011, 06:47
"A target airspeed of 110 knots should be used to maintain rotor RPM, with a descent rate of 5,000 feet per minute."

eek! :eek: