PDA

View Full Version : Good fuel gauges

whydowebother
12th Jun 2011, 20:33
Hi all. Can anybody recommend a good electronic fuel-flow/contents indicator for a light twin?

One of our aircraft has 2 'Electronics International FP-5' instruments fitted which are OK but not backlit, so you can't read them at night. You also have to select either fuel flow or total - they don't display both concurrently which is annoying.

Another aircraft has a 'Shadin Digidata' which you can read at night, and which shows you left and right fuel flow. But, you have to press a button to get contents, and then it shows you 'grand total' rather than the amount in the left and right separately so you can't see if there is an imbalance.

What I'm after is an instrument that shows 'Total Left, Flow Left, and Total Right, Flow Right' concurrently. I can't find anything, as a lot of these type of instruments try and do lots of clever ADC-type functions, when all I need is a decent fuel flow and contents gauge (that you can read at night). It would also be very useful if it was NVIS compatible - so no flashing red lights.

Please does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

WDWB

Miles Magister
14th Jun 2011, 10:09
Always check the detail in the STC and users manual. I once went to fly a fairly high performance aircraft which had been retrofitted with shadin FF meters. The installation and user manual stated they were not to be used as the primary means of monitoring FF or contents. This was some time ago and the modern versions may be different, just take care and check.

MM