PDA

View Full Version : E6B flight computer

Clintonb
12th Jun 2011, 01:52
Anyone know which one would be best to get and still be used in the long run.
got 2 options here to get your opinions on if you know of any other that be better let me know.

E6B Flight Computer
or
CX-2 Flight Computer

zondaracer
12th Jun 2011, 05:25
I've never used a CX-2. I have both a CRP-5 and E6B. If you are going to do FAA training, then get an E6B. If you plan on doing your ATPL exams, get a CRP-5 (without the windarm). For long term... I can't really seeing myself using either past the exams and checkride apart from instructing.

kaptn
12th Jun 2011, 16:25
Can we use the FAA E6B for JAA ATPL ?

zondaracer
12th Jun 2011, 17:34
Not really. First of all, I think the CRP-5 can do a little bit more than the E6B, particularly the Mach numbers.

Secondly and more importantly, if you look at the wind correction side, the CRP-5 goes up to 1000, and I think that the E6B goes up to only 350kts. You will get questions outside the range of the E6B.

I dont have either in front of me so this is just off the top of my head.

I know that the CRP5 is ridiculously expensive and you're thinking "why do I need another flight computer that I'll never use again?" (because that's what I was thinking when I first started). But if you plan on doing your JAA exams in the UK, you really need to get a CRP-5.

Tinstaafl
13th Jun 2011, 01:32
Alternatively, get a CR type. Every bit as accurate as slide types and not as bulky and some problems require fewer steps than is needed with a CRP. No problems using them in JAA, Australian or FAA exams as long as you're prepared to learn how to use one - but that's no different to any type of whiz wheel.

Oh, and they're usually cheaper than CRP5.

cjd_a320
17th Sep 2011, 20:40
I'd liked the ASA range, found the screen & keys better.

Cheers

Genghis the Engineer
18th Sep 2011, 09:31
Slightly nicer, in my opinion, than the CRP-5 is the Aviat-617, which is the Rolls Royce of whizz-wheels.

It also unfortunately makes the CRP-5 seem quite cheap. I was lucky and got one on eBay for £40, which is the only real reason I used it for my CPLs.

That said, for the CPL flying, I found a Pooleys CRP-1W perfect, because you really really don't fly over 200kn, so don't need the big jet tool, and if you did use it, would be mucking about in the corner rather than using the whole scale.

G

redsnail
18th Sep 2011, 10:32
I used to use one of these (http://www.theaviatorstore.com.au/jeppesen-cr2-p-73.html). Used them during my Australian and UK ATPL exams. I used it when flying as well just because it's easier to fit in my pocket.

Now I just tap the numbers into the magic FMS and it spit out an answer. :ok:

Yes, Genghis, that is an expensive whizz wheel. :ooh:

Bethere
21st Sep 2011, 14:47
I like the EB6.

Not sure those CX-2 are worth £70 :oh:

Bethere
23rd Sep 2011, 14:42
That orginal asa cx-1 looks E6B based ?

Genghis the Engineer
24th Sep 2011, 12:13
Used both and the ASA CX-2 is far better.
Only costs $75 direct from US.

Neither can be used in UK exams.

I can't think of any good reason why you wouldn't be allowed to use the E6B in a UK exam. It may not be the best tool for the job, but it's legal and I'm pretty certain I could do anything in the PPL nav exams using one, and most likely the CPL/ATPL exams. I'd still not recommend it, but simply because it's not the best tool for the job.

CX-2, certainly not permitted I agree.

G

Genghis the Engineer
24th Sep 2011, 14:58
Ah, fair enough.

G

Desert185
24th Sep 2011, 15:33
I've used a Jeppesen CR-3 for years in all types of aircraft. Works good, lasts a long time...and no batteries.

VinRouge
25th Sep 2011, 02:31
My E6B doesnt have the TAS to ram temperature rise on that the CRP-5 does.

TheChitterneFlyer
25th Sep 2011, 09:19
Given that the guys who write the UK ATPL examination question bank use the CRP-5, it has to be worth the few extra quid (£) to use the same tool in order to achieve the same level of accuracy as the guy who's asking the questions.

How badly do you want your ATPL? A failed exam will mean that you will have to cough-up another £68 for a re-sit of that exam.

By comparing two different whiz-weels I've seen consistently different answers to questions from the question bank. Sitting in an armchair at home, without any time pressure, the accuracy is going to be as good as it gets... but two different answers aren't acceptable. Therefore, it's a no-brainer... if you want to pass your ATPL exam, use the right tool for the job!

If you consider that you'll never use it again after the exams... flog it on EBay. My CRP-5 is in the bottom of a box somewhere in the loft!

zondaracer
25th Sep 2011, 11:19
Thechitterneflyer, +1.

With the multiple choice answers that have very small tolerances, you will end up getting the wrong answer using a different wizzwheel. The tolerance might be good enough for real world flying, but not good enough for your ATPL exams.

Piltdown Man
25th Sep 2011, 20:22
I have to agree with Genghis about the Aristo Aviat slide rules. They are they very best that money can buy. The CRP-5 is a nifty piece of work as well but when you see an Aristo Aviat you'll see where Pooley got the idea from. The E6B is poor relative of the CRP-5. Nowhere near the quality and it has a poor layout. The CR-n computers do the job, fit in your pocket but never get used as mental maths is accurate enough in real life.

As for their use in exams, I found that I didn't really need a whizz-wheel for the CPL because your rough 'order of magnitude' and 'units' workings before the number crunching was close enough. But that was 20 years ago. I also found that most but not all ATPL questions could also be answered with just rough workings. As to what you should buy now to churn out the guff required the Euro ATPLs, a person like Alex Whittingham would be the best to give advice.

zondaracer
25th Sep 2011, 20:32
As to what you should buy now to churn out the guff required the Euro ATPLs, a person like Alex Whittingham would be the best to give advice.

I went to Bristol Groundschool, and those who showed up without a CRP-5 could not get the correct answers on the practice questions. After about three days, all those not using a CRP-5 ended up buying one. ;) Alex Whittingham has plenty CRP-5s on stock, plus they have two giant ones for classroom lectures.

Bethere
25th Sep 2011, 22:35
Why not just get both?
Now their around £20
crp-5 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=crp-5&_frs=1&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359)

You can get a CRP-5 & CX for for less a CRP-1. :oh:

TheChitterneFlyer
26th Sep 2011, 06:39
With the multiple choice answers that have very small tolerances, you will end up getting the wrong answer using a different wizzwheel. The tolerance might be good enough for real world flying, but not good enough for your ATPL exams.

zondaracer, that was entirely the point of my statement in my previous post... if you use anything other than the CRP-5 you'll not achieve the same tollerence. :ugh:

TCF