PDA

View Full Version : Cebu

Barronflyer
11th Jun 2011, 09:20
Aplogies if this is a little out of place on this thread...

I'm currently upgrading and trying to find out information on Cebu. The Port pages are okay but I'd like to ask if someone could shed some light on the approaches being used on a day to day basis. I see also that the GP's are out on both runways.

Can the procedural arrival be expected in reality. Any info would be appreciated..

broadband circuit
11th Jun 2011, 09:41
My info is out of date by over a year (so maybe I'll go there on my line check!).

04, overhead the field, then the VOR/DME via the full teardrop.

22, LOC/DME via radar vectors or direct to the IAF.

Please correct me if my old information is incorrect.

capt. solipsist
11th Jun 2011, 10:48
Everything's procedural most of the time, unless there's conflicting traffic, in which case you get conservative vectors. Should be a no brainer. Overhead, then LOC/DME Rwy04. If you're tired of this and VMC, you can request left downwind Rwy04 and get a closer view of the city :ok:

oriental flyer
11th Jun 2011, 11:06
During descent often asked for radial and DME from CEB VOR to facilitate descent
Descent often not given by Manila until in contact with Cebu which is at handover point approx TOD point
Watch the terrain on the way in
RW 22 expect vectors to a 10 mile final on a right base usually LOC VOR approach no real drama
RW 04 either O/H or somewhere close to the VOR for a right downwind or the VOR teardrop at ATC discretion neither are a problem
You can expect the Batay arrival and Molok SID I think
Parking is usually on bay 3
Runway is narrower than usual and nav aids often don't work LOC 22 currently U/s
Hope this helps

nitpicker330
11th Jun 2011, 12:28
asianpilot.com : HomePage (http://www.asianpilot.com/tiki-index.php)

Good handy site run by a 777 STC

Barronflyer
11th Jun 2011, 12:44
many thanks folks - great

geh065
11th Jun 2011, 13:48
I've used 04 far more often than 22, regardless of the winds (within reason!)

Neptunus Rex
11th Jun 2011, 14:07
Do not do a visual approach of any kind on upgrade assessment, unless the TC orders it.

jonathon68
12th Jun 2011, 17:36
asianpilot.com.. only "allegedly" run by a very well respected 777 trainer. (Not a mere STC, BTW)!

Based on my 40? CEB flights in the past 5 years or so.. I can offer.

22 only twice. Once when predicated by a significant thunderstorm. The other time due to tailwind. Both times these were last minute switches in convective summer weather. So expect 04 about 99% of the time. Also one go-around on 04 due preceding traffic on the runway (a Cessna).. so go around at 300 feet into a visual right hand circuit (as per your base training).. excellent fun!

Approach Radar is available again (for now), so for the normal late-morning 921 arrival expect a radar heading before you get to the VOR, taking you to the north of the field on a downwind leg toward an 8-10 mile final. This is due to preceding traffic (Cebu Pacific A320?). This is easy, with descent clearances (due to terrain until close to the city) fairly close to profile.

The only time I seem to get the tear-drop arrival from over the field is for the evening arrival, when there is less traffic. The LNAV/VNAV on the 777 may take you a little bit inside the LOC/GS intercept point on some occasions.

My last visual in CEB was 2005.

Commercial aviation in the Philippines has exploded over the past few years with the emergence of various LCC's flying everything from A320's to Let 410's. In addition there are two busy FBO's with lots of light aircraft. Quite simply there is too much traffic in VMC conditions for visual approaches.

For the departure, expect a step climb. You will probably be held in the mid-high twenties for about 40-80 miles before handover to MNL ACC.

We do not do single pilot IFR in wide-body jets anymore. The operation is two pilots working together - sharing their experience, to get the job done safely and efficiently. If it is a check or training flight, then it is the same but with a brief-debrief to ensure you get the most out of the trip.The exception is if you are on a Command check, where there may be less help available than you may normally expect. Ultimately, a Captain has to be able to sort things out if the RHS lets him down.

Normally, feel free to ask your trainer/checker for his opinion on what to expect... "what happened the last time you came here?" etc. This is especially the case for a new guy, or some-one unfamiliar with the airport. Asking for input/suggestions etc is part of your line check assessment on CRM etc.

I am dubious about earlier contributors suggestions on asking for "headings to the east, and then a visual approach".
- commonly there is significant weather between Bohol and Cebu during the summer months. Hence, the common usage of runway 04.
- the VFR training area for traffic is on the coast to the north east of the airfield. In addition, it is not unusual to have no altitude readout for this traffic on TCAS. There is nothing worse than having your face pressed to the window in hazy weather, with TCAS calling "traffic-traffic"....

Iron Skillet
12th Jun 2011, 21:40
You guys have got to be joking.....10 paragraphs of BS about how to arrive and land at a specific airport, one of zillions in the world? :ugh:

Ridiculous.

Stressing out about it enough to ask strangers on a forum for gauge? Unbelievable.

And a pilot-run web site about such stuff? :rolleyes:

Very, very hard to believe anyone can over-complicate such simple things this much....You guys do realize that many, many pilots in the world continuously fly into airports they have never seen before, right? Really? Airline pilots are this overwhelmed with a clearance/STAR/circuit/approach/runway/taxi route/whatever???? I am blown away. :confused:

And yes, been there, done that, there and 1000 other places, and I didn't ask anyone else how to.

Barronflyer
12th Jun 2011, 23:08
Many thanks again - Very helpful