PDA

View Full Version : Private or university

asmit165
11th Jun 2011, 02:53
Hi everyone,
i can't decide whether to get my Commercial Pilot's license through a flying club or University. One of the Uni's have a Bachelor of Aviation going and that interests me however it is a 3 year course and flying is only done in the last year. I am working towards my PPL at a local club and am confused as to what avenue I should take (im 15 so I have 2 years to think)
Any thoughts???
Thanks.

MTBUR
13th Jun 2011, 11:46
Not sure what uni you're considering, but I did it through a uni. Longer time to get it all done, but most of them have pretty strong instruction. Biggest thing you'll hear from those who havent done it is how "they give degrees for anything nowadays", but oh well, you still have a chunk of management subjects to work on a well.

Structured programs also work quite well for some people, as in some guys I know have done other things to either fund their flying or as a fallback incase their lose medicals or whatever and have now left flying to slip as a priority.

MTBUR

M1ghtyDuck
13th Jun 2011, 14:56
I'm not aware of any university course that will give you a full CPL. Some may give you a PPL or at least some hours towards one.

You don't need an aviation related degree to become a pilot. Some argue it's very little help at all. The conventional wisdom is to get a degree as a backup should you lose your eyesight or not be able to become a pilot for whatever reason. As such, choose a degree the same way anyone else does - one that interests you and gives you good career prospects.

Once out of uni, do your flying training if you still want to be a pilot. And should it all go to pot you still have that good degree to fall back on, rather than one that limits you to working in aviation.

nzflygirl
13th Jun 2011, 15:25
If I were you I'd go through a flying club, the instructors are pilots themselves and you'll learn what you need to know. You'll also get to fly more! Maybe check it out at your current / or a local aero club and ask some of the full time students there if they recommend it.

MTBUR
14th Jun 2011, 10:01
I left my degree with ATPL's, 3 unis here downunder do similar professional pilot courses.

MTBUR