PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing or Helicopter CPL

kiwimustang
11th Jun 2011, 01:08
I am doing my CPL Theory in New Zealand at the moment and soon to start my PPL and CPL but dont know if I want to do fixed wing or helicopter. I want to go on to do tourism and/or agriculture work and would like to work overseas. I eventually wont both CPLs but want to know whats best to start on and will have the most work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.:confused:

nzflygirl
13th Jun 2011, 12:42
From what I understand it would be easier for you to get a fixed wing PPL and CPL then go onto Helicopter training. Fixed wing is a helluva lot cheaper and work is also easier to get I think - more of it. Check caa.govt.nz as to what hours and exams etc you can transfer to each licence type.

M1ghtyDuck
13th Jun 2011, 14:28
From what I've heard there are only a handful of people who have both a CPL(A) and a CPL(H) and actually use them both. It's very rare.

Wirbelsturm
13th Jun 2011, 14:42
I have both an ATPL(A) and and ATPL(H) which, as the poster above has alluded to, has expired.

Whilst the helicopter industry is alot of fun the requirements for the plum jobs are pretty high. You are looking at dual gas turbine ratings and 2000+ hours. That's alot of instructing!

That makes the helicopter route pretty expensive.

I got out of the rotary world as the return wasn't worth the investment no matter how exciting and fun the flying was.

The fixed wing world is not as much fun but, with the right employer, the returns are far better.

The cost of keeping both licences going was untenable. My employer looks after my fixed wing costs but the ad-hoc helicopter flying costs, even working on my days off in an Augusta A109, were just too prohibitive.

Time is also a major killer.

Concentrate on one or the other. You will be better off for it.

Good luck.