PDA

View Full Version : atpl exam expiring

cadet1980
11th Jun 2011, 00:01
my atpl exams are expiring in august 2011 and i have only just started my multi/ir. due to financial reasons i started late and probably wont complete my ir course in time.
can anyone give me some advice
do i have to do all my 14 exams again or can caa extend my atpl for a month or so
any help would be grateful

XL319
11th Jun 2011, 10:01
Your question was a little confusing but for your information here are a few pointers. If you have completed and passed all 14 of the ATPL exams then you have 3 years in which to complete your CPL.

If you have not passed your ATPL's yet then you have 18 month from the date of your first exam sitting. CAA are very strict in terms of the 18 month period, however if you are coming to the end of the 18 month period then the CAA are accomodating in trying to assist you in finishing within the 18 month time period.
If you do not complete the exams within the 18 month period (even if you have passed some but not all exams) then you will have to start all over again.

For further info consult LASORS (section G i think) and FCL1. It's all in there.

P.S. Having just checked LASORS (Section D) It states
"A pass in the theoretical knowledge examinations given in
accordance with JAR-FCL 1.490 will be accepted for the
grant of the CPL(A) or IR(A) during the 36 months from
the end of the month of the date of gaining a pass in all
the required examination papers*. Provided that an IR(A)
is obtained in accordance with the above, a pass in the
ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations will remain
valid for a period of 7 years from the last validity date of the
IR(A) entered in the CPL(A) for the issuance of an ATPL(A)."

captainsuperstorm
11th Jun 2011, 10:07
and why you didnt finished it? no money?if you have no money, would be better to do something else, cuz you will need LOT of money to finish with a PAY 2 FLY job!:ugh:

welcome in aviation. world of losers and crooks!

mcgoo
11th Jun 2011, 10:09
Its 18 months to complete the exams, then 36 months to acquire CPL and IR, outside of this you will have to resit the exams.

mad_jock
11th Jun 2011, 12:10
I have heard of folk getting extensions if they are already on a course and there has been factors eg wx or tech issues. But it was many years ago now.

You should give it a shot though but not with the front line folk at FCL because they will just say no. You should maybe go and discuss it with the local exam call sign and they will know who to speak to.

Lightning Mate
12th Jun 2011, 16:22
but not with the front line folk at FCL because they will just say no.

:mad:it. I have worked as a consultant at FCL.

Suggest this poor person consults them or the school through which he did his training.

Why ask such a question on this site.:ugh:

mad_jock
12th Jun 2011, 16:41
The front line folk at FCL will just refer the OP to lasors which is as quoted above. You need to speak to some one further up the tree for any chance of an extension.

Ringway004
12th Jun 2011, 16:59
Mine expired sadly last month:ugh: so gonna re-do them again through distance learning (I'm sure they;re not that bad a second time):hmm:

smith
13th Jun 2011, 05:15
I know this has been asked before but here goes, I did my IR first then for various reasons never completed the CPL and the three years has lapsed, however in J.1 of lasors it says the validity of the theoretical examinations will be seven years if in possesion of an IR within three years, so are my ATPLs still valid?

FlyingStone
13th Jun 2011, 12:50
JAR–FCL 1.495 Acceptance period
(a) A pass in the theoretical knowledge
examinations given in accordance with JAR–FCL
1.490 will be accepted for the grant of the
CPL(A) or IR(A) during the 36 months from the
date of gaining a Pass in all the required
examination papers.
(b) Provided that an IR(A) is obtained in
accordance with (a) above, a pass in the
ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examination will
remain valid for a period of 7 years from the last
validity date of the IR(A) entered in the CPL(A)
for the issuance of an ATPL(A).

It's pretty self-explanatory...

smith
13th Jun 2011, 20:51
remain valid for a period of 7 years

I think it's a bit ambiguous, was actually hoping someone would say it would be ok lol :(

FlyingStone
13th Jun 2011, 21:00
Since you only copied the least important part of the quote, let me emphasize it:

remain valid for a period of 7 years from the last
validity date of the IR(A) entered in the CPL(A)
for the issuance of an ATPL(A).

mutt
13th Jun 2011, 21:11
So does that mean that if you keep the IR valid, then the exam results remain valid?

Mutt

mad_jock
14th Jun 2011, 07:52
Only for the purposes of the IR. ie the 7 year rule kicks in. That IR doesn't need to be a JAR/EASA one either it can be any ICAO IR.

After the 36 months the exams would not be valid for doing a CPL even if you held an IR for that period. You couldn't then just go and do the CPL theory exams and everything be normal. You could I suppose do CPL theory but you wouldn't be able to upgrade it later, there are also some rules about multicrew type ratings which I don't know about because they have never applied to me.

You need to have ATPL theory valid when you pass the CPL and the IR for the license to be able to be used later on for ATPL issue and I think also for flying MPA (but would need to check)

Alex Whittingham
14th Jun 2011, 08:08
I suggest you ask the CAA marking your email 'Attention Policy'. The interpretation the policy department give to JAR FCL and Lasors is not always what you would expect, it would certainly do no harm to ask.