PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Helicopters Norwich

kjgkgj
10th Jun 2011, 19:42
Just hoping for some info. There used to be a training school in Norwich for Sterling helicopters, however the last we had heard was they had lost their license and closed.
Does anyone know if they will be reopening in the future or whether any other training school will replace them?

Many thanks

Helinut
10th Jun 2011, 20:15
kjg,

a simple question, but they often require complicated answers. The fate of this company is the subject of another thread:

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/443351-east-anglian-air-ambulance-temporarily-grounded-longmint-status.html

I would not hold your breath!

Whirlygig
10th Jun 2011, 21:24
In a nutshell .... Sterling lost its AOC due to not having the required authorised engineering staff. However, the Schweizer, on which most training is undertaken, is not on the AOC. But, the Schweizer is out of hours (and in bits) with no authorised engineers to complete and sign off so no training.

The staff have not been paid on time (if at all) and there is a court hearing pending for a winding up petition. The Chief Instructor is now not current.

The Senior Management (who are not based in Norwich) have made a right-royal balls-up of an otherwise excellent business; the staff at the coal-face are all, still, hoping that the business will be turned round.

There are PPL students who have been left in the lurch in the middle of their training programmes plus those, like me, who want to regain, ot maintain, currency.

OK, that was quite a big nut.

Cheers

Whirls

10th Jun 2011, 22:54
the staff at the coal-face are all, still, hoping that the business will be turned round.

I heard that another member of staff left last week. From what I hear there are very few people left there at all, mainly desk wallahs and only two aircrew on the books who have not worked or been there for six months. I sincerely doubt that those remaining are hoping for a good outcome. There can be none, how could there be? The crucial staff to operate are not there and it would indeed be surprising if they managed to recruit replacements. Nope, I think its already a Norwegian Blue.

Whirlygig
10th Jun 2011, 23:26
hoping for a good outcomeThere's a difference ... hope ... and realism ...

Cheers

Whirls

g-mady
11th Jun 2011, 16:37
You could try Saxon air... 3 hangars down. They are picking up much of Sterling and sky drifts work but I don't know if they have set up training yet?

If not your next option might be Aeromega down at Cambridge?

Hope that helps

MADY

11th Jun 2011, 17:37
Mady They are picking up much of Sterling and sky drifts work As for SD - OK but precisely what are they picking up that would have been Sterling's? I do not think that they are evolved for training, seems to me charter is their game.

g-mady
11th Jun 2011, 18:07
Thats what I mean - charter work. But didnt know if they've set a training school up yet to go alongside.
I think saxon air used to do fixed wing training before the takeover. But I think they only have the ec120 and ec135 for rotary work atm?

They have a citation Mustang which is very reasonably priced and seems to be busy.
Anyone know what happened to the Banderantie charter contract SD had? someone must have picked it up?

MADY

Rigga
11th Jun 2011, 20:24
996 - " The crucial staff to operate are not there "

There's more to running a transport company than drivers...

theloudone
11th Jun 2011, 22:18
Rigga

Nicely put, you are truely correct about running a transport company.

Whirlygig, you know for sure the Schweizer is bits do you ? didnt seem it the other day during a ground run :)as for no authorised engineers, i am sure the engineers there would disagree, again guys, get your facts confirmed, its dangerous making comments like that considering they are still ground running and maintaining them !!!!!

11th Jun 2011, 23:09
Rigga
There's more to running a transport company than drivers...
:yuk: :ugh:

Whirlygig
12th Jun 2011, 10:43
Has the Schweizer flown in the last few months? Why not?

Cheers

Whirls

vfr440
12th Jun 2011, 17:47
Burning and turning (on the ground) last week - VFR

g-mady
12th Jun 2011, 18:07
Burning? Dear god! Had it not been run for a while! I would suggest the fuel might be too rich :}

MADY

Agaricus bisporus
13th Jun 2011, 11:45
Burning and turning

Rather a pretentious expression for a piston machine, isn't it?
Do Cessna 150s "spool up" these days too?

Fly_For_Fun
14th Jun 2011, 09:15
Which pilots are still hanging in there at Sterling. I thought they had all found other employers and moved on?

14th Jun 2011, 13:17
FFF - There are two that I know of definitely who are being paid but have not been to work since all this began. They are sitting at home practicing for retirement or just getting under their wives feet! Pretty much all the rest do have alternative positions and for some, an improvement. You don't really expect me to post names here do you? Or do you have an offer for them? If so pm please.