PDA

View Full Version : Germanwings Istanbul Tower

Iolar
10th Jun 2011, 12:34
There are reports in a number of German papers today of an incident on the 25th of May. A Germanwings flight on tower frequency was given instructions by someone transmitting illegally on the frequency. Apparently in Turkey it is possible to buy airband transmitters on the internet without any checks or restrictions.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jun 2011, 12:43
Exactly the same thing has happened in the UK for exactly the same reason.

Iolar
10th Jun 2011, 13:02
Time for encryption?

JW411
10th Jun 2011, 13:12
You mean just like the Istanbul ATIS was about 10 years ago. Nobody could interpret that. Not even an Enigma machine would have helped!

grimmrad
10th Jun 2011, 13:59
Posted same thing here yesterday with link to actual ATC recording, apparently was removed by the moderators as I cannot find it anymore...

Here is the link :
25-MAY-2011 FAKE ATC IN ACTION (LTBA-ISTANBUL) | LiveATC.net (http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcaviation-audio-clips/25-may-2011-fake-atc-in-action-(ltba-istanbul)/)

My question was yesterday how much of a security issue you think this is...?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jun 2011, 14:13
In the UK airband transceivers can be easily purchased. Inevitably, idiots take advantage..

Little chance of encryption - imagine the cost of new equipment for every aircraft and every aeronautical comms facility in the world.

con-pilot
10th Jun 2011, 16:03
We had the same type of problems in the US after President Reagan fired the striking Air Traffic Controllers. I was a near victim of a false ATC call, I was told to descend to FL370 and to turn 30 degrees right. My con-pilot had no more just finished the read back when another voice came on the radio, very agitated, telling us to ignore the last transmission, maintain our heading and altitude, then told us to change to a new frequency.

After landing I called the pertinent ATC center. The supervisor on duty told me that they did not hear the false transmission, but the real controller heard the read back from us and realized what was happening, then called canceling the false instructions and change us to his secondary frequency. Believe it or not, the FBI did track down one of these so called professional controllers and he was tried and convicted, then sent to prison. After this former controller was arrested the false ATC calls dropped drastically.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jun 2011, 16:08
That's a terrible story. Over here I thinks it's been kids playing at being controllers; very unnerving.

Jamie-Southend
10th Jun 2011, 16:35
I seem to recall a story of some young individual sitting close to Luton's perimeter fence a few years ago, merrily transmitting on the Towers frequency.

Sadly the (in)appropriate equipment can be purchased on-line, second-hand, for just a few week pocket money. Maybe its time for some education, advising youngsters in school of the dangers, which of course include those Laser pens mentioned so frequently on other threads. School in the proximity of Airfields of course.

Tank2Engine
10th Jun 2011, 17:01
Isn't there a Bruce Willis movie (Die Hard 2) about terrorists taking over a control tower?

Apparently in Turkey it is possible to buy airband transmitters on the internet without any checks or restrictions. What about the US?

Or do you think that Sporty's (http://sportys.com/PilotShop/category/829) or any other pilot shop will check your criminal background, your pilot license, valid medical and airline ID when they sell you a transceiver in the US? :E

Airbubba
10th Jun 2011, 17:08
We had the same type of problems in the US after President Reagan fired the striking Air Traffic Controllers. I was a near victim of a false ATC call, I was told to descend to FL370 and to turn 30 degrees right. My con-pilot had no more just finished the read back when another voice came on the radio, very agitated, telling us to ignore the last transmission, maintain our heading and altitude, then told us to change to a new frequency.

Similar rogue radio calls were made during U.S. airline strikes in years past as well. Of course, the union always claims to codemn such dangerous actions by an unauthorized few.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jun 2011, 17:23
Then people on here go up the wall as soon as I mention the WT Act!

NacelleStrake
13th Jun 2011, 23:07
http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/15364-radio-ham-calls-planes-overhead.html