PDA

View Full Version : Ebstein's anomaly

John80
9th Jun 2011, 20:15
Hi, I am setting out on the long, expensive, but hopefully enjoyable path to gaining my ATPL! However before i signed up for an expensive ATPL course, i thought i'd get my class 1 medical to be on the safe side. Unfortunately I failed my initial medical as a heart arrythmia was detected. This has been diagnosed as wolff parkinson white (or WPW) syndrome, which in itself should not be too much of a problem as I can have a keyhole procedure to fix this. However, upon having an Echo scan of my heart at an NHS hospital, they have determined that the root cause of the WPW is probably a mild case of Ebstein's anomaly (i.e. one of your heart valves is in a slightly different position to normal). The CAA were not much help on the phone, as they refused to give even an indication of whether this would be a problem in gaining the Class 1 medical, without seeing my full medical history. All i wanted was an indication to let me know if i am wasting my time on this particular career path, without having to wait months to undergo the treatment etc etc! So, apologies for the long waffle, but if there's anyone out there who has heard of Ebstein's, do you know if the CAA are likely to grant the Class 1 to someone with mild Ebstein's?

All answers most gratefully received! Thanks

aviatorhi
9th Jun 2011, 20:36
Try this article, may or may not help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1729086/pdf/v082p00003.pdf