PDA

View Full Version : To reduce PDF file.

GAMEOVER
9th Jun 2011, 12:30
Dear All,

I need to reduce the size of a PDF file to e-mail it, but I do not know how to do it. The file consists on application form and documents to an Airline for a job.
How can I reduce the size of a PDF file to email it? :confused:

My PC uses Windows 7 and Printer HP C4600

Thanks in advance :)

Mike-Bracknell
9th Jun 2011, 12:43
What size is the PDF? and what size is it when you send it to a compressed folder?
Also, are there any graphics in the PDF? and what's creating the PDF? you? or is it a pre-created one that you just need to fill in and return?

mixture
9th Jun 2011, 12:59
Let me guess, it's a form plus scans of your class 1, cpl etc.

Have you already integrated these into a PDF, or are you looking to do so ?

Have you made any effort to reduce the size of the underlying scans prior to PDF integration ? If so, what process did you use ? If not, we'll give you a few pointers !

Capetonian
9th Jun 2011, 13:02
I'm sure someone will come up with a 'real' solution, but when I needed to do this I did as follows :

- Printed it out.
- Scanned and saved it as another .pdf using lower resolution each time until I got it to the right size to send.

mixture
9th Jun 2011, 13:06
Capetonian,

Bit messy that route.

For people who don't have the full Acrobat, next best thing is "PDF Shrink" from Apago (apagoinc.com). Only 35USD, so won't break the bank, and very handy tool to have knocking about.

However as hinted above, if you're not preparing the PDF for a litho press, you should always make an effort to reduce the size of the graphics you're putting into a PDF in the first place.

bnt
9th Jun 2011, 19:04
PDF files are already compressed as standard i.e. you gain little or nothing by putting one through another compressor. Mixture is right about graphics, they'll be the main culprit.

Capetonian
9th Jun 2011, 19:25
Bit messy that route.

True, but for a simpleton like me it was quick and effective.

Spurlash2
9th Jun 2011, 22:12
To email large files try THIS (https://www.yousendit.com/trials?incid=topNavFreeTrial_txt)as a one off.

For scanning tips...

Scan documents greyscale and save as jpeg, at, say, 150 PPI. Not BMP or Tiff.

Knock down the 'quality' to medium ish. That should save some space.