PDA

View Full Version : A very odd event.....

Rossian
9th Jun 2011, 11:50
....I've just been Skype called by "online help" repeating a message that my computer has been compromised and for a "cure" to call www.hotos.com. Naturally I didn't. But initially the call wouldn't terminate using the close call facility.

The really irritating thing is there doesn't seem to be a way of getting a message straight into Skype. One wanders around trying to frame a "question" which produces a series of options. none of which is of any use.

The Ancient Mariner

mixture
9th Jun 2011, 13:03
Hi,

Not sure if this is what you're after but.....

To block and report a nuisance contact:

Go to the Contacts / Recent tab, right-click the contact’s name and select Block This Person...
In the message box, tick Remove from your contact list.
Also tick Report abuse and Skype will block the abusers and spammers in the early phase of their activities.
Click Block.

Capetonian
9th Jun 2011, 13:25
I had one of these calls once and I began by asking the nice African sounding gentleman on the other hand to confirm my computer's IP address.

I would have been worried if he'd had it ..... but he didn't even seem to know what I was talking about. He just kept repeating my 'Skype' name!

green granite
9th Jun 2011, 14:10
Haven't used skype for a while but it used to have a setting that said 'only accept calls from approved/confirmed contacts' or something similar, so if they were not in your contact list they couldn't ring you until you added them.

Rossian
9th Jun 2011, 14:10
...this was an automated message which, initially, wouldn't go away.

I've since done an Avast! /malwarebytes scan and also ran crap cleaner. Nothing obvious showed up. Fingers crossed.

The Ancient Mariner

vulcanised
9th Jun 2011, 14:30
Also had one of those. It's a scam.

Do you have caller display? You'll probably find the caller's number is 0 (don't know how they do that).