PDA

View Full Version : Need convert full license to faa type rating?

samurai
8th Jun 2011, 23:03
G'day,

I am a casa cpl/ir holder and am considering to get faa a320 type rating.
I would like to ask a question to faa B737 or A320 type rated pilots
who attended your type rating course with ICAO cpl/ir (non-FAA).

Question1.
Before attending type rating course, do I have to convert to FAA CPL/IR?

Some schools said that I need to convert to FAA CPL/IR, other school said that FAA PPL/IR is OK
to get the type rating.......
I have no idea which school I should trust...

Anyway I have no intension to fly in USA. I need just a type rating.
I would be appreciate if you could give me some advice or stories of FAA type rating. Maybe I should choose Canadian Type rating..

Have a nice day.

jackcarls0n
9th Jun 2011, 05:20
I am not Type rated on either.

As per the type rating goes, its not necessary to get a FAA Conversion done. Same for us. We have an ICAO license and some of my friends head to France or USA for type rating on ATR etc. They get the training done and get a certificate from the TRTO on the basis of which the home country's CAA endorses the license with the TYPE rating. However, the TRTO has to be approved by the home country's CAA( in your case CASA).

Under PPL/IR you wont be able to fly commercially(incase in future someone comes up with a prefrence of FAA license as a prequisite-FAA CPL/IR would be better).

If you are headed to US for type rating and are getting a conversion done. Best thing would be get the CPL/IR/AMEL instead of a PPL/IR/AMEL. It might take a bit longer but certainly would be more beneficial.