PDA

View Full Version : Directx help please

Cunliffe
8th Jun 2011, 12:32
I thought it was time I sorted my old 35mm slides and negs so I bought a scanner from Maplins. The software for it won't run on my old computer because it says I need Directx 9 (it seems I only have version 8).
I downloaded a file called directx_jun2010_redist.exe (all 95 meg of it) but having extracted the files from it, the setup programme won't run because the computer says it is not a WIN32 application.
Is my computer just too old (OS is Win 2000 pro).

Sprogget
8th Jun 2011, 13:40
You need directx 9c and no higher I think for win 2000. You need to go to microsoft download centre & find the appropriate version for win 2000.

In the longer term, you ought to junk that operating system & get with something more up to date as you will run into these kinds of problems more & more. Windows 2000 is ancient history as operating systems go.

le Pingouin
8th Jun 2011, 13:57
According to Wikipedia: "The last build for Windows 2000 is the redistributable from February 5, 2010"
DirectX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX)

That leads you here: Download details: DirectX End-User Runtimes (February 2010) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=0CEF8180-E94A-4F56-B157-5AB8109CB4F5&displaylang=en)

MS doesn't mention Win2000 is supported but then Win2000 is officially dead & buried. I do hope you aren't using it on-line...

Cunliffe
8th Jun 2011, 14:33
I know it's obsolete but it still has its uses and no, it is not online. I have a fairly new computer running XP which is online and where I do the downloads. However, I guess I will spend a lot of time going through my slides and negs and it will be nice to be able to use a computer without Mrs C interrupting every 5 minutes to look something up on the internet.
The redistibutable that I downloaded was the June 2010 edition so as I write I am downloading the Feb one to try that.
Thanks for your suggestions but it does look like hand in pocket time again.