PDA

View Full Version : Jatstar Meals - Ewwwwww! - "It's probably the best bit of protein in that meal."

Sunfish
7th Jun 2011, 22:27
Good one Jetstar. So much for the low cost model.

A WOMAN who found a beetle larvae in her Jetstar dinner says she was told to apply online for a meal refund.

When Serena Chen, right, tucked into the Malaysian-style seafood nasi lemak on her flight home from Singapore last week she got a shock.

http://media.news.com.au/news/2011/01-jan/link-icons/icon_galleries.gif Airline food: The good, bad and ugly

The 28-year-old from Yangebup discovered what she thought was a maggot, but after examining photos she supplied, a WA insect expert identified it as a 1cm beetle larvae.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

Airline food: Good, bad, ugly

Qantas add-on fees soar sky-high Herald Sun, 9 minutes ago
Woman finds beetle in Jetstar meal Adelaide Now, 3 days ago
Wheelchair-bound pair banned from flight Herald Sun, 12 Apr 2011
Plant pests Adelaide Now, 19 Mar 2011
Jetstar backflips after playing hardball Courier Mail, 3 Mar 2011

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The university research assistant alerted crew and asked for her money back.

She claims she was told she would have to apply online for a refund and was offered a replacement meal. After another complaint, she eventually received a refund, but it was the thought of more contaminated meals that prompted Ms Chen to contact Jetstar headquarters the next day.

"I was told I had to wait five to 10 days for a response," she said. "I didn't think that was good enough and emailed them and Jetstar Asia contacted me, wanting me to email the picture."

The airline has withdrawn the meal from its menus and apologised to her and a spokeswoman said an investigation had started.

"Obviously this is an incident which has to do with our caterers," the spokeswoman said.

"It's an isolated case and it's highly unlikely it's a maggot. Its more likely to be a rice worm.

"We are now working with suppliers to replace any rice batches and look through the production process to ensure this doesn't happen again. The dish won't be returned until they have gone through all that safety insurance work."

Professor Ian Dadour, director of Forensic Entomologist Centre at University of Western Australia, said he was unable to determine exactly what species the larvae was. But he confirmed it was a beetle larvae.

"If it was packaged in the food it would be dead and would have come from the vegetable matter. It could have been in the rice too. But unless I get more info, I can't tell you much more," he said.

"It's probably the best bit of protein in that meal."

Serena Chen finds beetle larvae in Jetstar meal | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/wa-woman-finds-beetle-larvae-in-jetstar-meal/story-fn32891l-1226070676877)

Jabawocky
7th Jun 2011, 23:01
Well that is just the one found.........how many others found the bugs in theirs :eek: :uhoh: :E

Pamelah Andersen
7th Jun 2011, 23:42
Jetstar's "Mile-High Maggot".

Filthy!

compressor stall
8th Jun 2011, 00:31
Better than half a beetle larvae...

assasin8
8th Jun 2011, 00:44
Wonder if Jetstar then charged her for two meals? First she had the seafood and then she had the meat!:p

Hope she wasn't Catholic and it wasn't Friday!;)

Worrals in the wilds
8th Jun 2011, 03:29
"It's more likely to be a rice worm".

Oh, well that's fine then. :yuk:

"Obviously this is an incident which has to do with our caterers," the spokeswoman said.
"It's an isolated case and it's highly unlikely it's a maggot."

More stellar commentary and PR work from the Wirth school of corporate relations. The message from that statement is pretty much; "It's not our fault or responsibility, we didn't do it it's our lazy subcontractor's fault, passengers are stupid and can't tell the difference between worms and maggots, sheez :rolleyes: [hair toss]!"

"It's probably the best bit of protein in that meal."

A round of applause for the Prof! :E

The Green Goblin
8th Jun 2011, 04:43
Where is Bear Grylls? He would have delighted in the photo op with the said worm hitting his lips :)

Might even be able to turn it into a positive.

Let's hope this doesn't affect the onboard sales, Jetstar might not be able to support Qantas anymore if that were the case :D

Cactusjack
8th Jun 2011, 04:48
The bug had probably crawled into the meal after gorging itself in all that 'good stuff' that collects under each seat (go on, I dare you to lift up a cushion and take a look), some nice old food crumbs, grit, hair, gum, spew remnants and other condiments that require Grissom and the team from CSI to analyse.
I want to know if :
a) The bug paid for priority boarding ?
b) The bug was actually 'da little fella' ?
c) The bug got 'slugged' for excess baggage / (couldn't resist that one)
d) The bug received an emergency exit briefing ?
e) The bug was kept as a momento and will be auctioned off on EBay with all profits going to the 'Executive Management Bonus Scheme' ?
f) The bug was actually a beetle larvae and not some sort of pubic lice that had been transferred to the seat by one of the standard qulaity pax ?

flightleader
8th Jun 2011, 04:48

You're refering to their pilot,right?:p

Cactusjack
8th Jun 2011, 04:49
I thought BB flew QF business class ?

Mr. Hat
8th Jun 2011, 08:02
Pay peanuts you get..maggots?