PDA

View Full Version : Do the airlines care which modular FTO?

base-8
7th Jun 2011, 19:05
Hi all,

Im sure this question has been asked before but i am unable to find a proper answer.

I am coming towards the end of ATPL ground school and am starting to think about CPL/ME/IR. one question that i am unable to get a straight answer to is do the airlines care which modular FTO you trained with? Or are they just interested in the results?

There are schools in europe where you can do the whole course for as little as £11,500 or you can go to somewhere like CTC or OAA and spend more than twice that. So is it worth the extra?

The500man
7th Jun 2011, 20:27
A piece of advice I've recently been given by a current airline training captain with regards FTOs is to work out who you would most like to fly for, and then train at their preferred FTO.

It won't gaurantee you a job with that organisation but you would be effectively targetting them from the start. Which may go down well if you ever get an interview.

The reality, I suspect, is that you could go to a BIG name school and still be as jobless afterwards as if you'd saved £10k+ training somewhere cheap.

Good luck!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
7th Jun 2011, 20:42
Base 8,

This has been asked a few times in these forums, and the bottom line and the answer to your question is no.

As long as you have the necessary qualifications and licences that is all the airline will be interested in. It will you YOU that they will be interested in. The problem you face, and this will be no surprise, is finding the right path to securing that foot in the door.

There is no doubt that going to some of the bigger schools such as Oxford will effectively open more doors due to the fact they do have links with various airlines, however I know plenty of guys who have left these schools with no job and a little disappointed, as well as guys who have walked into a jet job with less than 200 hours. It is all swings and roundabouts and sometimes a case of being in the right place at the right time.

There are so many variables with this industry and it is difficult to give sound advice. But one thing I would say and back to the theme of the thread, is dont get stressed out about where you do your training.

All the best mate.

jez d
8th Jun 2011, 08:57
As CAT righty says the answer is no. However, there are two things you should bear in mind. First is that cheapest rarely mean best so you must be really thorough in your research. Second, certain airlines (most notably flybe) have publically stated that they would prefer you undertake your commercial licences and ratings (PPL not relevant here) at no more than two flight schools. The reasoning given is that the airline can be confident that you will have had some element of consistency in your training.

Hope this helps.

OberfuhrerPPRun
8th Jun 2011, 09:31
Clearly for your first job it will have some importance. If you have Oxford written all over your CV that will open a few extra doors, as they have a reputation and quality that is well know within the aviation world.

However later in your career it will have little importance, as long as you gain some experience. But it does help - I would rather buy a Mercedes then a Honda, even though I know the Honda is good, the reputation of Mercedes preceeds the brand!

Halfwayback
8th Jun 2011, 16:57
Base-8

Welcome to Pprune Wannabees

You're right it has been asked - and answered many times - and I think you now have your answer!

Thread closed

HWB