PDA

View Full Version : G550 Engine cover procedure

airwolfone
7th Jun 2011, 11:12
Hi fellow aviators:ok:

Was just wondering, how often do you instal the engine covers on the G550 or G450 during summer? There were not many guidelines during the initial course.

Would appreciate any info on the process. Looks tricky. If anyone has a link to some info or a description on how to get it done I would be very grateful. I checked smartcockpit and google but no joy.

Thanks guys

Airwolfone

ericthepilot
8th Jun 2011, 15:36
Ground service handbook, on the a/c maintenance CD.
Use common sense, like ash cloud, a/c outside in adverse wx like snow etc

Further ask your company for procedures set in place for use of covers.

FrankR
8th Jun 2011, 16:12
This has been a hotly contested issue on other forums.

The "Cover always" camp points to the classic "mud dobber" infestation and "Ice freezing the N1 fan"

The "No way" advocates note that more engines have been trashed due to starting with covers on, (not on any G that I know of) and the ineffectiveness of covers in stopping the above mentioned problems, and that the above mentioned problems are mostly a fantasy of initial instructors and chief pilots...

Another real problem regarding the large cabin G's is that it can be dangerous to install and remove them as the wing is slippery and often wet. I'm not terribly uncoordinated, and I've slipped on several occasions. Most FBO's will not install them, even if you offer $40 US.

RR has written guidance that the free turning of the fan does not damage anything.

So I always tell the guys I fly with, you want them on, you put them on (and take them off again). My opinion might change if we were staying longer than a week.

FR

mutt
8th Jun 2011, 23:57
So I always tell the guys I fly with, you want them on, you put them on (and take them off again). My opinion might change if we were staying longer than a week.

FrankR, I believe that you operate from a nice hot desert environment that is prone to the occasional sandstorm. Have a look in the Pprune forums for a discussion on a BBJ (737-500) that had DOUBLE ENGINE FAILURE coming out of your local airport.....

You will now notice that same BBJ sits with beautifully crafted engine covers :):)

So at this time of year, you might want to re-think your policy of parking an aircraft without covers.

Mutt

mattman
9th Jun 2011, 07:07
Personally it shows bad airmanship not to install covers, anywhere anyplace.
Fact of the matter is a cover is there for exactly that reason, to cover something. When that new shiny plane comes from the manufacturer, in the boot (cargo hold for none yarpies),are usually a fancy smart set of covers.

To start your airie up with covers in place proves you don't bother to even do a basic walk around, yet you can remember to pull the gear pins :ugh: jeez what nonsense, those guys should go back to working a Mickey dees.

Birds, sand even the ole bug in the p2t2, plus crap to what RR and co so say there is nothing worse than listening to the tinkle tinkle of turning fans, shame on you all, just cause your afraid to get on a wing, buy some none slip shoes, get some grip all gloves, buy a really good ladder and do your job, cause it don't end until you walk away satisfied it is going to be the same as you left it.

Matt

FrankR
9th Jun 2011, 09:56
Hey Mutt, you are absolutely right about when in a high-sand environment! That *&^% gets into everything!

Tony Mabelis
9th Jun 2011, 16:52
Beware of the "umbrella" type of intake cover, getting dislodged by a tail wind, and falling onto the wing................leaves nice dents in the honeycomb panels.

AA717driver
10th Jun 2011, 03:11
Never installed engine covers on 550 or 450 in temperate climes. Hangared in winter if sitting for more than a day or so.

Not my call, just following orders.

TC

con-pilot
10th Jun 2011, 17:45
Our rule, made by me, was to always cover all engines on all overnights and in the hangar as well.

Reason for covering the engines while in the hangar; bird's nests and the accompanying bird crap.

While I've never installed engine covers on a Gulfstream, it is not all that easy installing them on Falcon 50s and 900s. One and three pretty easy, but some times number two can be a real pain.

My philosophy on doing this is; doesn't take that long and why take a chance of something getting into an engine intake. Cheap insurance.

jetopa
15th Jun 2011, 14:12
Have a look in the PPRuNe forums for a discussion on a BBJ (737-500) that had DOUBLE ENGINE FAILURE coming out of your local airport.....

... having underwing engines, it made me scratch the back of my head, why nobody bothered installing them in the first place - with sandstorms at this particular time of the year at this airport. :ugh: