PDA

View Full Version : Childhood epilepsy

zapman
7th Jun 2011, 07:53
Is it possible to obtain a JAR Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate with a brief history of Benign Rolandic Epilepsy? Does anybody know of actual cases where certification has been granted for candidates having a previous history of such epilepsy? The JAR requirements indicate that certification is usually possible after 10 years' seizure free and off medication, but I am curious to know to what extent is the UK CAA's discretion in giving clearance on such cases.

Any feedback is highly appeciated.

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Jun 2011, 13:54
Your case would be reviewed by the CAA so best starting point is to contact them and give them the relevant information including copies of your medical records.

Start by getting copies of those from your GP.

parkfell
7th Jun 2011, 14:18
Prior to JAR, when the UK CAA issued their own national medicals, within certain criteria, there was a measure of discretion.

With the advent of JAR, their hands are largely tied to what the rules and regs say.

Speak to your GP, and find out which consultants are on the CAA approved list for your condition. Get them batting for you.

GD87
9th Jun 2011, 10:51
Hi Zap,

I'm currently awaiting a review by a neurologist from the CAA for exactly that. Apparently D-Day is this coming Tuesday (14th) so I'll let ya know.

zapman
9th Jun 2011, 11:10
Thanks GD87. Good luck!

GD87
18th Jun 2011, 14:25
Hi again, well I've had the response from the CAA head of the aeromedical department and here is how the land lies.

Due to the seizures I had happened after the age of 5, this is a disqualifying criteria, However!! As I have been med and seizure free for 13 years and was never formally diagnosed as epileptic I have been given some hoops to jump through which will give me a "small" chance of being considered certificable.

Firstly, get and EEG done and get a report from a consultant neurologist.

Secondly, get an MRI done and get a report from a consultant radioneurologist.

If both of these fall within the normal distribution for the national average it's, chocks away, clear prop and clear me to alpha!! Haha

Hope this helps.

zapman
19th Jun 2011, 05:18
Good to hear that GD87. Were you discussing a Class 1 or Class 2 medical clearance with the CAA?

GD87
19th Jun 2011, 19:11
I'm going for the class 1. There is the option of Class 1 with OML but why bother, I have to have the same tests anyways.