PDA

View Full Version : Virgin applies for links with Singapore Airlines

ejectx3
7th Jun 2011, 00:04
Lookout....
Virgin Australia inks alliance with Singapore Airlines | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/virgin-australia-inks-alliance-with-singapore-airlines/story-e6frg95x-1226070741209)

The Green Goblin
7th Jun 2011, 00:10
I knew it!

Game over AJ!

chockchucker
7th Jun 2011, 00:13
Ah yes, keep running down mainline AJ and you and your lord and master Clifford will soon preside over the destruction of an iconic brand. And for what gain?

Certainly not something that will look good on a resume' and leave you in good stead for post Qantas board appointments. Just ask Gary Toomey! (although I think he jumped into an already sinking ship).

SIA must be hardly be able to believe their luck that such a goose is running their main competitor in the asia pacific region.

And JB at Virgin must be grinning from ear-to-ear as well.

Game, set and match I'd say.:(

The Green Goblin
7th Jun 2011, 00:21
I said it a while back but Singair was the best way to give AJ the turkey slap he deserves.

There will be a royal commission into this whole affair soon, mark my words.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Tiger on the domestic scene.

Budfox
7th Jun 2011, 00:32
Qantas pissed in SIA backyard and look what it brings them now !!
This is the battle of the biggest pockets and the winner will be SIA :D
The Qantas goons now have war on all fronts lol :ouch:
Way to implode from within fellas.

SIA should just buy out Qantas now, but Im thinking it will be more fun for them
to just run them into the ground and be more fun in the process watching the absolute hiding they will inflict on Qantas.

I guess AJ will be thinking that 1 star will save the day for the group lmao ;)
Dreamers...............

Wally Mk2
7th Jun 2011, 00:34
"GG" good point about a Royal Com but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for this Govt to do anything about that they are busy doing what AJ is, destroying this country!!!!:ugh::ugh:
I feel for the QF workers, the real people behind QF.:sad:

Wmk2

Mr. Hat
7th Jun 2011, 00:41
I guessed the new brand name and Asian partner!

bangbounceboeing
7th Jun 2011, 00:49
the only problem with all these alliances is that it hasn't added any jobs or aircraft to the virgin group, it just uses other airlines resources..........

ampclamp
7th Jun 2011, 00:56
Well done JB!
Star Alliance coming up, Sing Air alliance, up grading the biz market.:ok:

On the other hand the world's most experienced airline's CEO has ... wait for it.... trash talked HIS premier brand and employees. Bravo Al you are a genius! :D

Wally Mk2
7th Jun 2011, 05:07
What's the bet that the ACCC could possibly stop this merger 'cause they may very well get pressure from CASA/QF (same thing) to protect what's left of the dieing Aussie brand QF.....................very interesting times ahead indeed.

Wmk2

Ultergra
7th Jun 2011, 05:19
You can 'apply' for anything... A tie up with NASA for example... doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I wouldn't be calling game set match just yet.

Dangnammit
7th Jun 2011, 06:14
This, I gotta see!

piston broke again
7th Jun 2011, 06:58
The thing is they don't currently compete on any routes. VA do not currently fly to singapore (perhaps they would have sooner had this deal not been in the works). Yes you have tiger in Australia who are Singapore owned but VA aren't applying for partnership with them. What's more interesting is thatthe deal excludes the pacific route. Watch this space I say. Seems AJ has been forever missing his boat...

Pavement
7th Jun 2011, 09:31
PBA,

Im guessing the USA was left off to avoid any avenue for appeal. QF/BA already share on Europe-Asia-Oz and as such could not really argue a SQ/DJ tie up.

Its all looking great for DJ. Now we will just have to see if it equates to profits. I honestly hope it does simply tp show that you dont have to race to the bottom in service and standards to make money.

And AJ - although nothing has really changed the positive spin makes me want to fly with Virgin. I dont work for an airline but what youre doing just seems mind numbingly stupid.

Skystar320
7th Jun 2011, 09:34
Bye, Bye Qantas, you have served the community well in your time. Time to RIP.

limelight
7th Jun 2011, 10:44
Now the SQ-DJ deal is on the way, whats the bet that Tiger Aus takes the 320s back to Singapore to increase competition to J* in their own backyard?

Xcel
7th Jun 2011, 11:49
Why take away tiger?? If anything give them a few more aircraft -

singapore will then be competing and strangling Qantas from every direction... Provide a cheaper service for leisure And LCC than Aj's baby Jetstar... Whilst tightening the screws on premium and business with virgin and sia...

TBM-Legend
7th Jun 2011, 12:38
Don't worry about the 33,000 or so mouths QF feeds every payday and the thousands of Mums and Dads who hold shares.....

Mostly Australians who can't run away to the sandpit for their next gig...

Agree QF has lost it a bit but what is needed is a renaissance not an "Ansett"....

VBPCGUY
7th Jun 2011, 13:02
QF would be ****ting their pants right now John Borhetti not getting the CEO position at QF was probably the best thing that happened not only for himself but for Virgin aswell.................the guy is a genius pure and simple genius:)

I really hope most VA staff were like me today after reading the email, you walk taller you stand prouder, man great times ahead at VA:D

1a sound asleep
7th Jun 2011, 13:15
Heard both JB and AJ on the radio in the last couple of days

AJ - "Doom, gloom, negative, bumbling idiot, terrible times"

JB - "Positive, uplifting, inspirational, articulate, looking forward to future"

The Green Goblin
7th Jun 2011, 13:17
You pull too many bricks out of a wall and sooner or later it comes tumbling down.

AJ couldn't find any more bricks to pull out of the wall so he started chipping away at the foundation.

It's going to collapse in spectacular fashion sooner or later.

The only reason they have been announcing profits is because they have not been spending money on the product. This could explain why there is no dividend. They need the money in the bank. The money should be at 30,000 feet doing what it was supposed to be doing.

Meanwhile JB is building a substantial foundation that can support a great wall.

halas
7th Jun 2011, 13:55
The Star Alliance was brought up by Steve Creedy in the Australian.
IF DJ do join up, then what of their recent alliances (and heart ache) with Delta and Jihad, oops Etihad? Are they out the door?

I have always been uneasy with alliances. At AN l could not see the logic in it. Guess what? It stymied growth and put another nail in the coffin, as far as l am concerned. Be careful what you wish for. Especially with the Kiwi's in the same bed and owning around a quarter of it!!!!!

Singapore recently announced that they would launch a low cost long haul operation. Appears that all is not rosy for the future of Singapore as a hub and may be an airline as they stand now. Moving LCC by SQ and moving up market by DJ seems like a conflict maybe?

And what of Tiger? Do they become the LCC to augment Virgin Australia? Just to become the final kick in the pants to the QF group?

And to TBM Legend- Tough!

halas

Xcel
7th Jun 2011, 14:56
Singapore already have dollars invested in virgin Atlantic and wouldn't be surprised if they are the final alliance to give the full global reach on one ticket... Don't think star alliance will happen.

now to chase some corporate coin jb... Don't get to greedy...

Bombay HF
8th Jun 2011, 00:23
What was the result of the last Australasian tie up that SQ was involved in?

RATpin
8th Jun 2011, 02:17
Bombay HF,is that a can of worms you really wish to open?

wessex19
8th Jun 2011, 04:07
Virgin Australia Airlines Pty Ltd | PO Box 1034 Spring Hill | QLD Australia 4004 | ABN 090 670 965
Date: 07 June 2011
SINGAPORE AND SYDNEY, 7 June 2011: Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia group of airlines have signed a
landmark agreement which will enable them to establish a long-term alliance.
Under the agreement, the two airlines propose to:
· Codeshare on each other’s international and domestic flights;
· Offer reciprocal frequent flyer programme benefits and lounge access;
· Co-ordinate schedules between Singapore and Australia and beyond to provide seamless
connections; and
· Engage in joint sales, marketing and distribution activities.
The alliance will connect Singapore Airlines’ extensive international network with Virgin Australia’s wide
range of Australian and Pacific destinations. Through the Singapore Airlines network, Virgin Australia
customers will have access to some 70 more destinations, while through the Virgin Australia network
Singapore Airlines customers will have access to some 30 more destinations. Members of Singapore Airlines’
KrisFlyer frequent flyer programme will be able to earn and redeem miles on Virgin Australia flights, while
Virgin Australia’s Velocity members will be able to earn and redeem miles on Singapore Airlines-operated
flights.
The two airlines will lodge an application for authorisation with the Australian Competition and Consumer
Commission (ACCC) to enable them to co-operate across a broad range of commercial functions.
Authorisation will allow the airlines to build a deep and integrated alliance with seamless service offerings to
the travelling public.
Singapore Airlines CEO Goh Choon Phong said: “Singapore Airlines has been committed to the Australian
market for more than 40 years and we are always looking for ways to serve our customers better. With
regulatory approval, the partnership will enable us to offer even more choice for domestic and international
air travel. Together with Virgin Australia we will provide the public with access to an enlarged network,
offering a first-rate, integrated travel experience.”
Mr Goh added: “The partnership presents a significant opportunity for Singapore Airlines to drive growth in
a manner consistent with our focus on service excellence, product innovation and network connectivity. It
will enhance the attractiveness of Australia as a travel destination while also opening up new horizons for
travellers from Australia.”
Virgin Australia group of airlines CEO John Borghetti said: “We are delighted to be partnering with one of the
most respected and innovative airlines in the world. When it first launched in Australia, Singapore Airlines
revolutionised international air travel for Australians, providing a world class service to Asia, Europe and
beyond.”
Mr Borghetti added: “Asia is clearly a critical market for us as we build our international alliance network.
Singapore Airlines’ extensive network throughout Asia will be particularly attractive to our international
business and leisure travellers and this partnership, along with our other alliances, will mean Virgin Australia
can now offer truly global flight coverage.
“With the recent re-positioning of our brand and the launch of our product enhancements, including
domestic business class, Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines are ideally suited as airline partners.”
As part of the announcement today, Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia have agreed that from 1 August
2011:
· Singapore Airlines customers will be able to interline on Virgin Australia’s domestic network,
allowing them to travel through to a range of destinations with one ticket, through-checked
baggage, terminal transfers and inclusive meals; and
· Virgin Australia Velocity Gold members and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold members will have
reciprocal access to each airline’s airport lounges.
Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia will lodge an application with the ACCC in the coming weeks. Subject
to approval, customers should be able to experience the full benefits of the alliance from late this year.
About Singapore Airlines
When Singapore Airlines was formed in 1972, it operated a modest fleet of 10 aircraft to just 22 cities in 18
countries. With a commitment to fleet modernisation, product and service innovation and market
leadership, the Airline quickly distinguished itself as a world-class carrier.
Today, Singapore Airlines operates a modern passenger fleet of more than 100 aircraft and its network,
including Singapore Airlines Cargo and SilkAir destinations, covers a total of 101 destinations in 40 countries.
Singapore Airlines serves five destinations in Australia - Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney –
with 92 round-trip flights per week.
In October 2007, Singapore Airlines, a member of the Star Alliance, made aviation history as the first to fly
the world’s largest passenger aircraft, the Airbus A380.
About Virgin Australia
Virgin Australia group of airlines (ASX: VBA), formerly the Virgin Blue group of airlines, was launched in 2000
as the first sustainable low-fare airline in Australian skies. It has established a global reputation as an
innovator and leader in the aviation industry; renowned for the warmth of its people and the quality of the
service they provide.
Starting out as a single airline operating a single route with just 200 team members, today the group
employs over 7,000 people and includes multi-award winning domestic airline Virgin Australia (formerly
Virgin Blue); international long-haul airline V Australia; international subsidiary airline Pacific Blue; and
Polynesian Blue, a joint venture airline with the Government of Samoa. Virgin Australia is currently in the
process of re-launching its domestic and short-haul international product, and both V Australia and Pacific
Blue airlines will operate as Virgin Australia by the end of 2011.
Virgin Australia operates a fleet of 89 modern Boeing 737, 777 and Embraer E-Jet aircraft flying to 32
Australian and 16 international destinations including the USA, UAE, New Zealand, Indonesia, Thailand,
Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu and the Cook Islands.

Oakape
8th Jun 2011, 10:04
The question in my mind is - does this agreement come with a naming agreement as well? In other words, will Singapore now allow the new Virgin Australia name to be used internationally, as it will now arguably benefit them? Or perhaps Virgin Pacific?

Interesting times.

biton
8th Jun 2011, 10:17
Oakape, it has already been announced by John Borghetti that Virgin Australia will be the name used for the entire group by the end of the year. That includes both domestic and international operations. It was apparently all worked out at the 11th hour before the brand change.

scam sniffer
8th Jun 2011, 11:38
As I sit and gaze at my crystal ball, in addition to my visions of the past where I caught a fleeting glimpse of a Singaporean Virgin, I see a new equipment ordering and holding company.

Imagine, if you will, a virtual company that would buy a bunch of 777’s and maybe some of the intermediate ranged 330’s and sell or lease them to the partners of a virtual airline with bases in the Americas, Australasia, Asia and the Middle East. One could come up with a basic standard configuration compatible with all partners so as to facilitate rapid disposition of equipment by leasing swapping and loaning.

A virtual airline in the group would have access to equipment and destinations that cover the world without the need to overextend it’s own abilities to finance and service a giant network. It would be incumbent on each of the partners to grow its own patch while lending support and synergies to the entire group.

Absent from, (but not essential to), the group, would be a regional partner in the EU and operators to service Sth America and the African continent. Partners of such a group could cover 90% of the world with just 5 or 6 likeminded groups, rather than the 30 or so members of each of the other alliances. A small number such as that could, through joint ventures rather than just code shares, more easily overcome regulatory hurdles to more accurately control prices and schedules to achieve the ultimate synergies. Basic to any application for relief from anti cartel laws is that no degradation of service or dilution of customer choice should occur. With each partner in a small group , handling it’s own patch, this must surely be easier than the current overextended alliances. The overlapping of current alliance networks, works against them in that they cannot be seen to regulate competition. This reduces their ability to manipulate prices and services , the market must do that.

The real gold is in the equipment provision. It has been reported that Boeing have an unidentified order for 10 777’s, could this be the start, or to look at it another way the start of a new beginning.

Mr Borgetti, I doffs my lid.

SS

Xcel
8th Jun 2011, 12:36
^seems brilliant compared to the franchised race to the bottom of the lcc model...

Ero-plano
8th Jun 2011, 22:23
Let's not totally sugar coat the s**t, Virgin are in deep cash trouble. All the fan fare and high fives are great but they are damm near broke. At least the Rat has some cash in reserve for a rainy day (for whoever ends up owning it ).

The Green Goblin
8th Jun 2011, 23:12
Let's not totally sugar coat the s**t, Virgin are in deep cash trouble. All the fan fare and high fives are great but they are damm near broke. At least the Rat has some cash in reserve for a rainy day (for whoever ends up owning it ).

The only reason they have cash in the bank is they have not spent it on their product.

Most of the fleet still wears the old tired livery. The paint is just about falling off. Let's not even start on the 767 and 737 classic interiors.

If they were doing what Virgin is doing they would be in a similar position.

VBPCGUY
8th Jun 2011, 23:28
So what do you call deep cash trouble?????? $100M in the bank $500M in the bank $10 in the bank???

Virgin Australia has no debt so dont forget that when your painting your doom and gloom picture either:D

I dont think alliances would be getting signed off and approved and money being spent if the money couldnt really be spent.

biton
8th Jun 2011, 23:42
Virgin are in deep cash trouble. All the fan fare and high fives are great but they are damm near broke

You are joking right? Virgin currently have about $700 million cash sitting in the bank. That's not pocket change genius.

The Bunglerat
8th Jun 2011, 23:54
@biton, you beat me to it.

Don't confuse a profit downgrade/loss for the year as being "broke." Far from it. The trick, of course, is to make sure Virgin's fortunes improve before eating too much into said cash reserves.

VBPCGUY
9th Jun 2011, 00:09
Thats it bunglerat, and with the money thats being spent is only going to improve profit over the course of the net 18 months, you gotta spend money to make money, I had seen out YFC yesterday and had a quick try out of J class man its nice:D

Ero-plano
9th Jun 2011, 00:46
You are joking right? Virgin currently have about $700 million cash sitting in the bank. That's not pocket change genius

I think you need to change the word "have" with the word "had" genius. The only reason SQ would even consider a link up with VB is to venture out on the lucrative US routes.

Ero-plano
9th Jun 2011, 00:53
Most of the fleet still wears the old tired livery. The paint is just about falling off. Let's not even start on the 767 and 737 classic interiors.

As for this comment, brand new A380's here and on the way. Brand new 737's to replace all the classics. Brand new A330's and 787's (they hope) on the way. If Boeing didn't stuff up the 787 delivery schedule they would have no tired 767's.
Jetstar get a new plane every second month A320's/A330's.
I think you guys have been sucked in by the posh adds your PR guys show on t.v.
What Virgin Australia does have going for it is a fresh, new approach but it will need plenty of cash or a bed friend (hmmmm SQ maybe) to make it work.

The Green Goblin
9th Jun 2011, 00:54
Quote:
You are joking right? Virgin currently have about $700 million cash sitting in the bank. That's not pocket change genius
I think you need to change the word "have" with the word "had" genius. The only reason SQ would even consider a link up with VB is to venture out on the lucrative US routes.

Are you sure about that?

SIA own a large chunk of Virgin Atlantic.

With Virgin America, Virgin Australia, Virgin Nigeria, Virgin Atlantic and various other code shares we are looking at the birth of the worlds first truly global airline empire.

Perhaps SIA will become Virgin Singapore :)

In fact I bet those 777s they are talking about will become Virgin Asia :)

Xcel
9th Jun 2011, 00:57
Gg - think he was referring to the US pacific routes...

Mr. Hat
9th Jun 2011, 02:46
Facts are:

QF 500 million dollar profit.
VA 0-80 million loss.

QF Increase in pax numbers.
VA Decrease in pax numbers.

QF Total industrial turmoil
VA Approaching EBA for Domestic & unresolved Long Haul. Good Morale ATM.

QF Whole premium market to themselves since Ansett collapse.
VA Rolling out a good product and likely to attract some from QF.

Overall JB is moving the VA team in a better direction than it was under BG. As he said there was no option to not upgrade the brand the money had to be spent. AJ is annoying staff and some customers. However I don't think you can ever write off the QF group, it is big and powerful. Having said that, this JB fellow has a serious work ethic. He is on a mission like no other. If he keeps the staff onside the way he has from the start he might actually get the QF board's attention. As he said, his secret weapon are his staff. I have to say its a refreshing approach.

I hope both companies do well.

biton
9th Jun 2011, 03:31
Ero, would you care to tell us then how much Virgin does have in the bank at this moment, and particularly how this justifies your comment that they are "near broke". It's one thing to make a simple comment, it's quite another to back it up with numbers.

Jetro6UL
9th Jun 2011, 04:36
Ero, would you care to tell us then how much Virgin does have in the bank at this moment, and particularly how this justifies your comment that they are "near broke". It's one thing to make a simple comment, it's quite another to back it up with numbers.

This time last year, Virgin Blue had $850M in the bank.

Lay off the weed, Ero.

B772
9th Jun 2011, 04:56
VBPCGUY and others.

Currently Virgin Australia are operating at a loss. As at yesterday their debt/equity ratio was 191.6%. They hope to make a small profit in the 2012 FY and pay a 1c per share dividend.

Mr. Hat
9th Jun 2011, 05:27
Here is some other data for those interested:

http://media.wotnews.com.au/asxann/01178607.pdf

Ero-plano
9th Jun 2011, 07:17
Great data and info. it all looks great, BUT, rebranding, new uniforms, new aircraft types, new ads, less pax, higher operating costs, expensive board members, new departments all equals a higher cost base.
Higher costs with less passengers equals desperate times.
If I'm on the grass some of you guys are taking way too many happy pills.

Mr. Hat
9th Jun 2011, 07:29
Doing nothing would have been game over within a couple of years.

Running a profitable business isn't all about cost cutting you know. Old mate has been in the business 30 plus years lets let him do his thing. He's got a couple of ideas on how to run a business without driving the workforce into the ground. His log of achievements for 13 months of work is impressive to say the least. Lets see how it goes hey.

biton
9th Jun 2011, 09:07
Ero, I gather then that you still have no numbers whatsoever to back up your claim that they are near broke. You keep bleating on but you have nothing but baseless opinions to offer. I ask again, what numbers are you working off?

Aren't you missing your nightly fix of A Current Affair?

BP2197
9th Jun 2011, 09:29
I don't think VA are "broke" however the cash reserves they have necessary to retain their current credit rating. What it does limit is their ability to invest too much further in their fleet. So whilst they do have some great new A330's there isn't going to be an enormous widebody fleet anytime in the near future - that is without some serious injection of funds which you can never rule out with Branson involved.

Mr. Hat
9th Jun 2011, 09:35
JB made it clear he doesn't want to be the biggest but he does want to be the best.

Ero-plano
9th Jun 2011, 09:45
Aren't you missing your nightly fix of A Current Affair?

Thanks, I just watched A Current Affair.

Lets just say, VB under Godfrey built up a solid steady business with cash reserves and moved into a good space in Australian Aviation, JQ handles the scraps, QF the toffs and Tiger the idiots. VB was right in the middle and offered all the options without the tags.
Since Borghetti has moved in and waved his magic wand on a radical change of the airline it has taken a massive hit on the VB bottom line. I'm not saying its wrong or right, just saying it as it is. I've listed where the cash has gone including the losses its generating on a daily basis. If I say that they have spent arount $650-$700 million on the re-structure the mathematics is simple to work out (no need to be a "genius").
If it works, great, if not, did this radical move prove to be the demise of VB. I hope its not.

Time will tell........

In the red corner QF (rich but in turmoil), In the red corner VB (poor but trying).

Mr. Hat
9th Jun 2011, 10:05
I think from memory the cash reserves are about 650 mil. The rebranding is rumored to have cost about 30-50 million.

KABOY
9th Jun 2011, 10:09
Cash balance $815 million, up from $476 million

Virgin Press release 2010, now you need to factor the loss expected 2011 into this figure.

Cash balance of $3.7 billion

Qantas press release after 2010 figures, with an expected profit this year.

Place this in perspective, Virgin is nowhere near 'Cash Rich'. They conducted a heavily discounted capital raising in 2009 as well as sale and leaseback of assets. After the expected 2010/2011 loss they have will have limited funding sources, relying heavily on cash at hand.

Make of it what you will but this is a gamble that Borghetti has had to make as the airline's future was certainly bleak.

PoppaJo
9th Jun 2011, 10:43
Cant see Branson pumping more funds, well he isn't at Virgin America and they are half a billion in debt, no money in the bank and approaching negative cash flow....nice cabins, not attractive balance sheet! so it might take alot more before we see some $$ from SRB......

HF3000
9th Jun 2011, 11:55
Sir Richard has a pretty good history of buying low and selling high.

Prado
11th Jun 2011, 10:47
Are we sure it's Singair, not Slingair?

DJ is not in a happy position balance sheet wise. Remember that AN made a $300m profit shortly before its demise.

SQ just want access rights through Australia. They tried to buy it with AN, but ANZ interferred, now they are trying a different approach. They won't invest in DJ, they just want those rights.

Cheers
Prado.

The Baron
11th Jun 2011, 22:32
Lets just get the sequence of events when the last CEO left correct shall we? Just before he left and prior to getting his final settlement from the board, this guy announces a profit upgrade of 80 mill. 6 weeks after NEW CEO starts and while he is still surveying the mess he has been left, he has to downgrade the profit forecast by 60 mill. Draw a line between the dots guys.

The Bunglerat
12th Jun 2011, 00:33
Ero Plano implies that he/she was satisfied with BG's achievements, & I also believe in giving credit where credit's due. Therefore I would say the best thing BG ever did was convince Branson to start Virgin Blue. :D Of course, everything after that was basically a combination of dumb luck & timing. Need I mention the fact that even a complete moron could make money from aviation after one of your major competitors has just folded & left a gaping hole in the market?

Original uniforms: FAIL
Live2Air: FAIL
Premium Economy: FAIL
Promoting a culture where everyone is on the same footing, where hierarchy is non-existent (unless you were BG), & pilots are no more important than baggage handlers (no offence intended towards bag chuckers, but you guys didn't spend $80,000-$100,000 + spend years doing the hard yards to consolidate your skills & qualifications for your current job description): FAIL
Publicly stating how much he valued & respected us, whilst internally showing us nothing short of contempt: FAIL
Making financially misleading statements about the state of the company, only to have the incoming CEO be forced to clean up the mess & announce the real state of affairs: FAIL

...I could go on, but you get the idea.

I'm not a kiss-ass kinda guy, & it wouldn't be the first time I've gotten myself in strife for saying what I think, but I genuinely believe JB is the best thing that ever happened to VB/VA. That's not to say he won't make tough decisions that will piss people off from time to time (as I've acknowledged in previous comments), but he's never been anything other than upfront, forthright, a straight shooter - & true to his word in delivering on all the things he said he would in his first twelve months in the job. Having spoken with him personally, I find him to be very approachable, genuinely appreciative of the efforts of his staff, & always willing to discuss whatever issues might be of concern to us at the front line. That doesn't mean he always gives you the answer you want to hear, but he always gives you the time of day - & that speaks volumes to me.

Reinventing an airline from the ground up is not a simple task, any more than it is cheap. It goes without saying that our bottom line does not look healthy at the moment, but I am not concerned. Of course, if we're still scraping the barrel in two or three years from now, well that's another story. Nevertheless we are in a transitional phase at present, & with natural disasters of the last few months affecting leisure travel (which, let's face it, wouldn't make things any better regardless of who was running the airline), I wouldn't expect things to be any different. The important thing is that JB is making changes that are (a) necessary, (b) costly - because you have to spend money in order to make money - & JB's not afraid to do so, & (c) will make for a far better airline when the changes are complete & the market comes to realise just how good the end result is.

Ero-plano
12th Jun 2011, 03:30
Bunglerat

Original uniforms: FAIL
Live2Air: FAIL
Premium Economy: FAIL
Promoting a culture where everyone is on the same footing, where hierarchy is non-existent (unless you were BG), & pilots are no more important than baggage handlers (no offence intended towards bag chuckers, but you guys didn't spend $80,000-$100,000 + spend years doing the hard yards to consolidate your skills & qualifications for your current job description): FAIL
Publicly stating how much he valued & respected us, whilst internally showing us nothing short of contempt: FAIL
Making financially misleading statements about the state of the company, only to have the incoming CEO be forced to clean up the mess & announce the real state of affairs: FAIL

Mate, good list of FAIL points, I don't agree with all, but I do agree with some. JB is a stand-up bloke and QF staff are bleeding that he left QF and went to VB. BG on the other hand through "dumb luck" or whatever else it was, built a solid airline in good times and difficult times. Love him or hate him he deserves the credit.
As you say, I hope VB can hang on for the ride while it bleeds the cash reserves.
Where do you guys think JQ would be if QF wasn't behind it? JQ were lucky to carry any more than 15-20 pax on their flights in early days. I remeber one flight where there were 3 pax MEL-OOL (and the service was still s**t). QF decided it would pull out its competing flights on the same routes so passengers had no choice but to use the JQ service and so it continued to grow. The fact JQ's big bills and aircraft leases are paid by QF is another bonus to their operation.
What QF is doing now is burning cash on JQ, renaming Star Class, Buisness Class and will wage a war with VB's new brand on two fronts. Real clash of the titans stuff again.
The winner gets the glory while the losers will probably sell their a** to an Asian or Middle Eastern carrier.

inandout
12th Jun 2011, 06:33
At the end of June 10 Virgin Blue Holdings Ltd had 216.7 millon cash at bank, 598 millon Deposits at call and of that total 814.7, 355.4 was Restricted cash. You will find at the end of FY11 that amount will have reduced some what. Just like protecting the envelope one must do the same here.

1a sound asleep
12th Jun 2011, 07:17
Virgin Australia is doing ok. Virgin America has the grand total of only $25 million in the bank

Xcel
13th Oct 2011, 01:23
Is this old news?

Just heard Singapore and Virgin codeshare alliance has been approved...

Maybe I'm living in the past, but anyone got moe info or details?

ad-astra
13th Oct 2011, 03:19
News and Press Releases | Virgin Australia (http://www.virginaustralia.com/AboutUs/Media/NewsandPressReleases/P_018720.html)

Seems John Borghetti is having a much better day than Alan Joyce.

BP2197
13th Oct 2011, 04:24
Very good strategy by VB to build a virtual network to access the world and have these alliance partners feed in to their domestic routes.

Interesting to note the positive reaction from those on PPRUNE to these types of strategy as VB expands what is a very young business and the complete condemnation of QF as it tries to fit into a changed world with its very old business. I guess change just hurts.

piston broke again
30th Nov 2011, 22:38
Virgin Australia-Singapore Airlines tie-up gets the nod from ACCC - Flights | hotels | frequent flyer | business class - Australian Business Traveller (http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-singapore-airlines-tie-up-gets-final-accc-stamp)

The Virgin Australia / Singapore Airlines alliance is ready to take off, with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission today approving the partnership for a five year period.

In addition to codesharing of flights for smoother ticketing and connections, both airlines' frequent flyers will have access to the other airline's lounges. This will be a solid win for Virgin Australia passengers as it opens up SQ's network of Silver Kris lounges around the world.
Velocity frequent flyers can also look forward to accruing status credits on Singapore Airlines flights, as well as the usual reciprocal earning and burning of frequent flyer points.

In its submission to the ACCC, Virgin Australia said the alliance would let the airline "offer connections from anywhere within its domestic network to any codeshare destination available with Singapore Airlines, opening up many new routings, including from regional Australia to destinations throughout the world."

Approving the partnership, ACCC chairman Rod Sims said that "the ability to offer a comprehensive international and domestic network, along with enhanced frequent flyer and lounge products, is likely to be attractive to both corporate and government passengers." The deal has already been given the green light by Singapore's Competition Commission.

The tie-up will also rise the stakes in Virgin's battle with Qantas for the lucrative business travel market, especially as Qantas CEO Alan Joyce frequently cites Asia as a cornerstone for Qantas' international success.
Qantas is of course already pursuing a closer relationship with Malaysia Airlines as well as an Asian-based premium airline, likely to be branded Red Q or OneAsia.
New routes

The UK, Spain, Denmark, Brazil, China, India, Japan and Vietnam are some of the destinations on Virgin Australia's to-do list submitted to the ACCC.
However, Virgin Australia's codeshare agreements with Singapore Airlines are only likely to open up flight routes not already served by its existing partnerships with Etihad and other airlines.

For example, flights to London via Singapore would be available only from Perth -- Virgin's current partner E.tihad doesn't tap the WA capital but has other capital cities covered, and Virgin wants to avoid treading on the toes of its several codeshare pals.

CEO John Borghetti was adamant about not wanting to diminish any of Virgin Australia's other partnerships by signing with major player Singapore when Australian Business Traveller talked with him after the alliance agreement signing ceremony in Singapore earlier this year.

aero979
30th Nov 2011, 23:51
Singapore's low cost carrier Scoot to operate to Sydney from mid 2012!

TBM-Legend
1st Dec 2011, 01:31
so how many Australian jobs in aviation does the SQ deal mean.....??

piston broke again
1st Dec 2011, 02:05
More than Far Q

TBM-Legend
1st Dec 2011, 05:33
really? QF group 32,500 on the payroll
Virgin Group 4,060 on the payroll

piston broke again
1st Dec 2011, 05:40
RTFQ TBM,
SQ deal will create VA jobs in Australia. Far Q or whatever it is called is losing jobs in Australia, creating jobs o/s. Get your head out of your butt!

Hugh Jarse
1st Dec 2011, 05:57
TBM,

You're sounding like a broken record. We all know you hate VA, and are a QF apologist.

One would imagine this alliance will create a few jobs over here with on-carriage, etc. Unlike your beloved Qantas, which is actively offshoring at the moment.

Goat Whisperer
1st Dec 2011, 06:03
...and VA employs a lot more than 4000 people.

VBA Engineer
1st Dec 2011, 10:47
VA brings employment for many many Australians.

Just because they aren't all in VA doesn't mean they aren't there.

Ground handling companies.

Aircraft maintenance companies.

Catering companies.

Cleaning and servicing companies.

Training companies

IT companies

Look beyond your noses people.

Red Jet
1st Dec 2011, 20:36
Virgin Australia employ approximately 7.000 happy campers (and possibly a handful of grumpy ones - that noone pay any attention to);)