PDA

View Full Version : Dead RAF Whirlwind Helicopter.

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
6th Jun 2011, 19:07
I've noticed a dead / abandoned Whirlwind Mk10 helicopter sitting in a small clearing to the north of Sywell airfield and just south of the A14. It's in the old red/white/grey RAF Training Command colours. The main blades are alongside it and it looks like it flew in but never flew out. I vaguely recall reading about this happening but might have dreamed this, possibly when Claudia Schiffer wasn't out to play.

Google earth position: 52 24.084 N, 0 50.011 W

If it was flown in for training purposes and suffered damage, it must have been many years ago because I believe the type finished its RAF service in 1979.

Any know the history of this, please?

D120A
6th Jun 2011, 19:43
If you look at the Google Earth image of that spot some 4 years earlier, 2005, it's not there. Neither are the sheds and buildings in that area. I think it belongs to whoever owns them, and came with them relatively recently.

Perhaps it belongs to someone who used to fly it, and who bought the airframe hoping to find his tooth fillings.:E

sycamore
7th Jun 2011, 09:19
Just up the road at Orton,there is a `paint-ball` place,so it may have something to do with them..Perhaps one should say `well spotted`...

alhenderson
9th Jun 2011, 20:59
Thanks for the tip off, prompted me to go out and have a look for it. Thanks to the wonders of Google maps and t'internet I found it.

Tis indeed with the Paintball lot. 8662M/XR458 coded H still in its 2 FTS marks. Think it was at Halton at one point in its life. Some pics here: Flickr: Al Henderson's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/al_henderson/)

Al.

sycamore
10th Jun 2011, 12:29
XR458 was with 103 Sqdn at Seletar/Kuching and other places mid-late `60s`. later in early `80s` at Shawbury...Others may have other details...

chevvron
10th Jun 2011, 15:03
I went to camp with my cadets to Shawbury in 1980 and Whirlywinds were still in use for training then although they were severely weight limited; with 'normal' crew ie student, instructor and crewman, they could only take two lightweight cadets at a time.

sycamore
10th Jun 2011, 20:18
Chev, you should know that if 2 cadets `puke` ,they can keep it in their berets,if 6-8 puke,it`ll be everywhere !!

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
10th Jun 2011, 20:40
XR458?? :eek:

In that case, I almost wished I hadn't asked. A shame she finished her days like this.

This is some very strange coincidence.

I did my first helicopter solo in XR458, at 2 FTS RAF Shawbury on February 6th, 1979. I also flew her on nineteen other occasions, including my first night solo.

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
10th Jun 2011, 22:27
That one isn't a Whirlwind, sorry. :hmm:

D120A
10th Jun 2011, 23:28
First night solo in XR458, eh Art? For that, downwind at darkest Shawbury, you would have doubtless needed its Art E. Fischler-Reisen...:}

It's very distressing to see important aircraft from one's past in a sad state. But uplifting to find one outside but still looking good (e.g. XR453, the gate guardian at Odiham) an incredible 43 years after being involved with it.:ok:

ShyTorque
10th Jun 2011, 23:55
Yes, that one was the first Whirlwind I flew on my basic rotary course, with Carl Mason on Jan 4th 1979. If it's the same one, it arrived at Odiham out of storage in about 1986. It was in very good condition. Some of our (240 OCU) engineers knew the type well and reckoned with the addition of a battery it was ready to fly. There was even water in the Kelston type windscreen washer pump.

The Stn Cdr, the late Tim Garden, expressly forbade us to even try starting it.

sycamore
11th Jun 2011, 10:48
D120A, XR453 was on 230 in 1967,coded `W`,so you may have `signed a few `reds`...I spent 1.45 hrs with Fareastdriver grinding around doing mutual sim.I/F at one point.
Shy-T,you probably meant the Ki-Gas pump for w/s washing,as I think the Kelston was the mobile fuel pump,or Zwicky...?

ShyTorque
11th Jun 2011, 11:41
Kelston pump no, Ki-gas, yes you're correct; my mistake! :O

But wasn't the Ki-gas also originally a mobile fuel pump (primer for petrol engine)? ;)

sycamore
11th Jun 2011, 16:01
Shy, you`ll usually find Ki-Gass fuel primers on a lot of big piston aircraft.Googling also found the Company is in Warwick,for aero components,and they are also used on tractors,either diesel or petrol..

D120A
11th Jun 2011, 19:07
ShyTorque, I have a Ki-Gass on our Jodel, and it takes four pump strokes to prime the Continental C-90 (and deposit a small amount of fuel on one's trouser leg).

Please see your PMs.

sycamore
11th Jun 2011, 21:12
D120A,being an ex-gingerbeer you should get that leak seen to...See ref. above for spares..
Why is it pilots always have to tell engineers to fix things....?:ugh::)

D120A
11th Jun 2011, 23:11
Syc, as I see it, it's not a defect it's a feature. :ok: