PDA

View Full Version : Qantas baggage changes - Mk II

UnderneathTheRadar
6th Jun 2011, 10:59
Don't know why the last thread was locked - mods, it's not supposed to be a debate about luggage allowances but rather a discussion on how not to engage with your passengers/customers. Put in D&G questions or elsewhere if you'd rather.

From the last thread:

This actually makes sense commercially.

How can it? I run a company with 25 employees who do a fair bit of flying around the country carrying a mix of company stuff (tools etc) and personal stuff. I don't expect them to combine those bags into one.

I go on holidays. When I go on holidays, I like to take the golf clubs. Under the new qantas rules, I have to pay extra for that. With Virgin I don't!

So faced with a) extra expense or extra hassle for the $300k+ we pay an airline every year and b) the extra cost of using some of those FF points to go on holiday it becomes a very real possibility that my business will go elsewhere.

I know Virgin charge you for baggage - but not if you're gold or silver - or you buy the right fare - which we normally do - so I don't see that as being an issued compared to a guaranteed extra cost for every flight we want to take 15-20kg in 2 bags.

It's another demonstration of pennywise/pound foolish for this lot.

UTR

ampclamp
6th Jun 2011, 12:23
Please write to Alan Joyce and the board and say goodbye. Vote with your feet and wallet. Corporate arrogance is a big failing at the rat.
Not the smartest move by giving JB a head start in this manner is it?

witwiw
6th Jun 2011, 12:30
I'm with you, UTR, and have written to the Mods to ask why the thread was closed. Am most interested in their justifcation seeing there was nothing other than reasonable replies throughout and with the examples serving to strengthen your point re customer service.

In the environment where every customer counts it seems QF are doing their level best to send that customer elsewhere. They seem to have lost sight of the fact that each dollar in their coffers is a dollar denied to the opposition. However if by their short sighted policies they drive their customers to the opposition - well, it doesn't need Einstein to work that one out!!!

Jabawocky
6th Jun 2011, 21:32
I go on holidays. When I go on holidays, I like to take the golf clubs. Under the new qantas rules, I have to pay extra for that. With Virgin I don't!

Vote with your feet UTR, I have been. As soon as I can get some value back for the hundreds of thousands of QFF points, which may take a while, it will mostly be VOz for me, and my employees also.

The Borg seems to want to build something good, support his efforts. At the rate things are going in a few years time he may be employing many of our QF friends again.

Wally Mk2
7th Jun 2011, 00:40
Trouble is voting with yr feet actually hurts yr fellow workers at the end of the day. You might think yr hurting AJ by doing so but in reality he's wealthy enuf to still walk away unharmed.
'UTR' as for the Mods closing the last luggage thread? Now there's a whole udder story! 4get it ya won't win there, they have a BIG stick!

Wmk2

witwiw
7th Jun 2011, 01:30
And why was that previous thread closed? The response I received when I queried it:

Subject: Re: PPRuNe Forums Contact Us Form - locked thread query?
To: witwiw @ PPRuNe Forums

Ask the mods,

Personally, I thinks it's asinine bollocks from the self righteous and self interested bitching about a minor symptom of the disease when there are far more important items to be discussed on a professional pilots forum regarding your national airline.

Regards
Rob
PPRuNe Admin

Now, when I go to the doctor I want him to consider all the symptoms I present with. Then he is more able to make a proper diagnosis rather than one based on limted information.

I don't see a difference here, the baggage issue is one of many symptoms afflicting QF at the moment - part of their overall disease - and warrants airing. As UTR correctly asserts, it's about a company interacting and responding to their customers and here we have a valid example where they are not doing that - but it's considered "asinine bollocks" to refer to one of the symptoms of their disease in the overall context.

It hardly warranted a thread closure but Wmk2 has hit the nail on the head.

Oh, and Rob, for the record I am interested in the future of QF, hence my concern about their slipping standards and the effect it has on their customers. I continue to support them for the present - but as matters worsen that will in all probability change.

Now, back to the thread .....................

Wally Mk2
7th Jun 2011, 03:15
Drop it 'wit' these guys will bury you if you question their actions. The word "personally" says it all!!

Wmk2

patagonianworelaud
11th Jun 2011, 10:00
I am new to posting here but otherwise have been spent a lot of time as an observer going through lots and lots of posts and threads over the time. Overall, it's all very interesting and informative and the concept is great - however:-

The alleged response from the administration fellow to an innocuous query leaves me amazed. It is obvious from reading generally that there are many contentious, indeed unnecessary, comments made here that warrant shutting down a thread - but the response as claimed to have been received by "Witwiw" justifying the closure is absolute and complete nonsense. What impartiality is there in "Rob's" comments, where is the supposed self-rightousness in the posts and wherein is the subject un-related to the topic generally? I think the admin fellow might be describing himself!!!

I wonder what "Rob's" real bitch is - disgruntled, as he appears?