PDA

View Full Version : Qantas baggage limit changes - fail

UnderneathTheRadar
5th Jun 2011, 22:55
...or how to p*ss of your customers in one easy step.

How many people know that Qantas changed their baggage allowances on 1st June? It's now (generally speaking) 1 piece only.

Fine, you might say, they are entitled to change their conditions and I don't disagree.

But from a customer relationship perspective, giving some kind of notice/warning/highlight that the rules are changing might be a nice idea.

Two employees last week flew BNE-ADL and BNE-MEL last Monday, as usual. Friday they rock up to fly home each with the customary 2 bags, under 32kg (gold FF). On both occasions the checkin staff have tagged the first bag and sent it off. They've then tagged the second bag and then told passengers that new rules applied from 1st June and that they'll have to pay for the second item. One even suggested that bags could be repacked into one. Fine said pax - where's my first bag? Gone - can't get it back - need to pay.

I fly regularly, these guys fly every week, none of us knew that the rules were going to change. Surely some modicum of common sense would tell a customer focussed organisation that hiding bad news from those affected will only increase any annoyance at the change? Surely common sense would tell you that if someone set off on an itinery that changing the rules mid-trip might not be the best idea? Surely your highly motivated and engaged staff would might have the inititive to give a warning and not send off the first bag!

So I'm off on holiday this week - was going to take the golf clubs but as it's now a 1 piece limit, the qantas rules are now saying effectively - no sporting equipment. Guess I'll need to find some bricks to put into my bag instead.

UTR

walaper
5th Jun 2011, 23:03
And next you will pay for your muffin and blanket . QF rapidly positioning to be a premium LCC.:}

zanzibar
5th Jun 2011, 23:18
Actually,there was plenty of notice on their website - you know, the terms and conditions attached to a ticket purchase. The changes have been there for months. Doesn't mean I agree with them and share the sentiments of many passengers who are now disadvantaged in this money grabbing exercise.

Situation is now I pack a single suitcase to my 32kg limit (a regular FF has some advantages) rather than two more manageable smaller ones (more manageable for me and the bag chuckers). Two 10kg bags (well below my particular limit) will see me charged for the second one but a 32kg bag won't. That makes sense.

You can pay for the second bag online at "only $20" rather than the rip-off $30 at the airport. A third bag won't cost you $30 though at the airport, the cost escalates as the bag numbers increase - where's the logic in that?

QF - descending to the lowest common denominator status.

Kiwiconehead
6th Jun 2011, 00:20
I knew about it, but I'm on the website booking my own tickets every month, there were emails too.

But it's a crap system, I'm silver so it was great to have 32kg if I travel with my tools or to be able to throw the golf clubs in. Now will have to pay extra for either.

Now the baggies will get slammed with 32kg bags, great for them, good to see Qantas looking after the welfare of their employees.

assasin8
6th Jun 2011, 00:49
Sorry, I'm confused now, is that the mob with the orange kangaroo?:bored:

jportzer
6th Jun 2011, 03:06
the cost escalates as the bag numbers increase - where's the logic in that?This actually makes sense commercially. The intent is to discourage people from bringing along large amounts of excess luggage which effectively compete with freight operations. If you tried to air ship an equivalent 32kg box between capital cities it will cost you a lot more than $30, so it's still a good deal. Most normal travelers won't need more than 2x32kg; those that do are probably moving house or engaged in some sort of commercial activity, and I don't see why Qantas shouldn't charge market prices for that.

I do agree that sending one bag down the chute before informing the punter of the second bag charge, was an arse-hole move.

Keep in mind that all US "full service" airlines, except for low-fare Southwest, charge for the first bag now too. So it wouldn't surprise me for Qantas to move to this in a few months too. The current setup may only be a temporary phase.

slurper1
6th Jun 2011, 03:19
But- what about the safety of ramp employees?
Or Elderly pax who can lift 2 small suitcases but not a heavy one.

a bag tag costs a little over a cent each.

Sounds like a great way to fight off DJ for competition.....

Time to DAMP test the CEO and board:eek:

dghob
6th Jun 2011, 04:10
One of the things that p*sses me off flying is the number and size of bags/strollers/computer cases etc etc that people insist on bringing on as cabin baggage. No need to go on about that old chestnut, except that the new rule means they will be stuffing even more in their even bigger cabin bags!

SRM
6th Jun 2011, 04:40
I agree the amount of cabin baggage is not policed, its sometimes difficult to find space in the overhead lockers.

qlhccforum
6th Jun 2011, 04:52
Situation is now I pack a single suitcase to my 32kg limit (a regular FF has some advantages) rather than two more manageable smaller ones (more manageable for me and the bag chuckers). Two 10kg bags (well below my particular limit) will see me charged for the second one but a 32kg bag won't. That makes sense.

If your limit is 32 Kg it makes no sense to be charged for 2 bags each weighing 16 Kg or less.
Maybe it's something they will sort out but in the mean time, just tie the two bags together with luggage straps, rope, whatever, and voila, now you have one bag to check in, and two smaller bags for you to take to and from the airport.

Xcel
6th Jun 2011, 05:12
Having an infant and the other half travelling often internationally I can tell you this new change is extremely hard and will only affect room in the cabin - there is a no way I'm paying extra...

So instead of checking 3 small bags we will now as prescribed check one bag but, we will carry on: 3 carry on bags, 2 nappy bags, stroller from Qantas, laptop bag, coat, and reading material, plus some shopping. Now that should take up the whole overhead locker I wonder how anyone else will fit theirs in - I can't understand how 1 x32kg bag is better than 3x10kg bags - are they really bulking out the hold??

Hmm virgin, Malaysian, airnz, Singapore, emirates, erm everyone Qantas say they can't compete against let us take the required items in a suitable manner - wonder who we'll be flying with from now on...

Ken Borough
6th Jun 2011, 06:37
its sometimes difficult to find space in the overhead lockers.

Indeed......because of crew baggage! :E

clotted
6th Jun 2011, 06:44
Xcel,
The smirk will be wiped off your face when one of those old boiler CSM's (or Kenny) will take all of that off you as you board because you haven't read your conditions of carriage pertaining to in-cabin baggage.:ugh::ugh:

DirectAnywhere
6th Jun 2011, 06:55
QF - descending to the lowest common denominator status.

Zanzibar, we don't use that phrase anymore. It's now called 'World's best practise'. No really.

Xcel
6th Jun 2011, 08:13
Clotted -

if you read the terms and conditions everything I have listed is allowed which is why it is so stupid...

3 persons can each carry a bag of upto 7kg each - over and above you can carry-
a laptop bag, reading material, and clothing for the flight is allowed, a bag carrying neccessaties for the infant is allowed, and the stroller is provided if requested...

All because I already paid for the ticket and they have changed the rules to which I agreed... Might even fill it with bricks just to prove my point... From then on i will fly elsewhere...

witwiw
6th Jun 2011, 09:15
This actually makes sense commercially. The intent is to discourage people from bringing along large amounts of excess luggage which effectively compete with freight operations.

Don't agree, jp. I travel regularly with smaller bags out of necessity given the nature of the equipment I carry - totalling well below the particular baggage allowance of 32kgs I have and in no way competing with freight. Therefore it is not "excess baggage", just my allowance in 3 individual lots rather than one. Now, however, my 2nd bag will cost me an extra $30 at the airport and my 3rd bag an extra $60. So, $90 for keeping within my limit (or $40 if I pre-purchase).

Interesting that I can travel to the US (as I do from time to time) and check in 3x23kg bags as a Silver FF in zoo class and not be charged extra. Nor is there a piece limit on other international destinations - just the weight limit. Now that's a consistent policy across the board -NOT.

Sorry, jp, your logic is flawed. It is far from being commercially justifiable at all, it is just a blatant money gouging exercise.