PDA

View Full Version : Using a router as a boost station.

Loose rivets
4th Jun 2011, 22:38
Called into P C World, and a nice young man told me there was a way to use certain routers as booster stations.

My pal providing me with the free signal happened to mention he'd had two routers in his conservatory, 'to help boost the signal.' I assumed he was mistaken - until today.

He has a Netgear router, I think it's the same as the one I have, a DG 834G.

Plugging the spare into my laptop with a yellow wire does not allow me access on the http// 192 etc., but I can see it loud and clear on the wireless connection. That's as far as my experimentation goes.

Firstly, is it really possible to use this in this mode, and any ideas how I go about it?

Also, why can I not dial it up on my browser when connected with the yellow wire?

FullOppositeRudder
5th Jun 2011, 02:49
Mr Rivets sir, I do not full understand what you mean by the term "booster station". Some routers can be instructed to work as a repeater or a bridge.

I did a Google on the former option and it looks like it's possible (http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=netgear+dg834g+as+a+repeater&oq=netgear+dg834g+as+&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=587l7385l0l12l12l0l3l3l0l280l1301l4.2.3&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=115c636e58174d73&biw=1024&bih=570).

As to your last question, a yellow (network) cable usually indicates that it is wired as a crossover cable, used primarily for a one off computer to another computer connection. Most modern routers are smart enough to cater for this if one of these is used in a computer to router communication regime which would normally expect a 'straight through' configured (normal) cable.

There is also the possibility that your Netgear device, like some of mine at times seems to occasionally ignore connection requests from the host computer. I've sometimes had to do a complete reset (push the little black button on the back) to bring mine back from it's state of ignorance.

I apologise if I have seriously misunderstood your question, but that's what I can offer for the moment.

Regards,
FOR
(in coffee deficient mode):confused:

Sprogget
5th Jun 2011, 06:53
I guess the car's fixed then?;)

Loose rivets
5th Jun 2011, 07:20
Huge amount of time spent on car. Left handbrake still does not work. Late last night, needed internet to search for that illusive point I'm missing, and couldn't get a reliable connection. :ugh: <Did this with a bottle of wine.

repeater or a bridge. That's what the nice lad said.

I'll have a look at the link thanks, before climbing into greasy clothes for the 6th time.

Mike-Bracknell
5th Jun 2011, 14:50
Basically what he means is that if you have a single AP (Access Point....in wireless parlance) that's far away and you only have for example 1 or 2 bars of signal at your location, you can then set up another AP at that location to rebroadcast the wifi and use the other AP's signal as a backhaul. i.e. without having the second AP connected to any wires.

Look up "WDS" or wireless repeating.

:ok:

Mr Optimistic
5th Jun 2011, 14:55
I set up some Dlink stuff (yes M-B, I know) years ago to do this. It could be made to work but in those days it was an unreliable faff. maybe it's better now. Did halve throughput though.

Mike-Bracknell
5th Jun 2011, 16:37
I set up some Dlink stuff (yes M-B, I know) years ago to do this. It could be made to work but in those days it was an unreliable faff. maybe it's better now. Did halve throughput though.

It all depends on what kit you're using. The better kit uses 802.11a radio as a backhaul between nodes, leaving the APs to broadcast at full speed on 802.11g/n as necessary (with obviously the 54mbit/s backhaul as the bottleneck on n-radio APs).

Mr Optimistic
5th Jun 2011, 17:04
Well, M-B, obviously I knew that :bored::uhoh::sad::\

stuckgear
5th Jun 2011, 17:13
i have three set up in that way, mine are hardwired with a cross over patch cable to the main (been doing it like that for years), with each other router acting as subnet. its easy to do, and if that is what you're asking PM me and i'll tell you how its done.

cheers.

Mike-Bracknell
5th Jun 2011, 18:53
Well, M-B, obviously I knew that :bored::uhoh::sad::\

There was never any doubt, Mr O.
:ok:

Loose rivets
5th Jun 2011, 22:34
F-O-R's link - Using the dg834g as a repeater (http://www.unix.ms/netgear/index2.html) - gave an overview that seemed to be going in the right direction, but running the spare router as a simulator got me into the first line before stalling.

Wireless settings = fine
Setup access list = Oh dear, usual transparent menu not available to Rivets.

On the 20 lines of instructional notes, only getting to line two is a bit naff, even for me.

I may well be calling Mr gear, but then, I make my calls via Skype, the PAYG sim put in my American phone being $1,000,000 per minute. I'll nip back to Texas and make the calls, it'd be cheaper.

However, one will persevere when feeling better from the lurgy. I'll casually toy with the subject in the meantime, but I've obviously lost all immunity to British germs. Just getting over 13 days of last one when this one got me. I blame the Mexicans.