PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 serious MS"Word" problem query

Krystal n chips
4th Jun 2011, 12:57
When I got the new PC. because I had no need of the Office Suite, I didn't register my product key..thus far, my fault, in part anyway

Today, I got an email with an attachment and a questionaire which I was expecting and need to complete as a matter of urgency. Click on attachment and get the message to enter product key..this I do and guess what, it 's now invalid as it seems it was only applicable for the first 30days ( which I was unaware of ) as part of a special offer....but I can, of course, buy a new Office suit for £££'s.

So, I do get several attempts at the "Word" programme before it is shut off. Fill in questions and try to send to originator....but how !??...nothing obvious in the toolbars....try to save...does so for a short while, then just appears to delete itself. I have to get this questionaire completed asap and returned.

So my query please, is this ...is there a quick and simple method...no techie talk..to fill in the questions and then just send back by email to the originator...

All advice gratefully recieved

Many thanks in advance

Mike-Bracknell
4th Jun 2011, 13:08
A quick Google....

Extend Microsoft Office 2010 Trial Period Up To 180 Days For Free (http://theheatweb.com/extend-microsoft-office-2010-trial-period-180-days-free/)

lunchbar
4th Jun 2011, 13:12
try:

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite (http://www.openoffice.org/)

open source (i.e. free) suite of office software

compatible with all MS office documents/power points/spreadsheets etc

Spurlash2
4th Jun 2011, 13:23
...or this:

As I understand it, your new PC came with a trial version of Office. At some point you will need to pay for it if you want to keep it.

Method 2: The post-activation method
This method lets you convert to the full retail perpetual license version by using the Activation Wizard expiration reminders. Use this method after you activate the trial version of the Office 2010 suite or program.

After you activate the trial version of a suite or program, you can convert to the full retail perpetual license version when the Activation Wizard expiration reminders appear. In the Activation Wizard expiration reminder, click Convert to start the conversion to the full retail perpetual license version.

You can also open the Activation Wizard expiration reminder when you are ready to convert by doing the following:

1.Start the trial version of the Office 2010 program.
2.Click the File tab.
3.Click Help, and then click Activate Office.
4.Go to Step 4: Active the product key.

If I have misunderstood (I have a track record with that) try HERE (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/convert-a-trial-version-of-an-office-2010-suite-or-program-to-a-full-retail-version-HA101886436.aspx), for the full guidance.

DG101
4th Jun 2011, 13:24
K & C

You can bypass the MafiaSoft lot with OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Both products are free and it is unlikely that you, or the returnee will be able to spot the difference - provided you save the completed document in Word format rather than the default Open Doc format.

Krystal n chips
4th Jun 2011, 15:53
My thanks...:ok::ok: for ALL the advice so far...I can now work on a plan of action

Loose rivets
4th Jun 2011, 22:17
Be very, very careful before you try to Remove Office 10 - from Vista at least.

Nice bit of kit, if you don't mind soft being totally unlike early 2000 offerings. Great fun, but if you have the temerity to Remove the trial soft, look out.

It made wife's Vista turn into a veritable bogus copy, validation issues hitting us at each turn. Plenty on this forum and others.

Took us three days of arguing sessions, before they reset us.

Mr Optimistic
5th Jun 2011, 16:02
Mind you, these days you can get versions of office quite cheaply eg if you have a student anywhere nearby ? Got my copy for £18 albeit from work.

Krystal n chips
6th Jun 2011, 05:41
Update. The eventual solution was to fwd the email to a friend, and then travel and proceed from there.

Which still leaves a permanent solution to the problem.

Ironically, Mr Optimistic produced the answer that I am already in the process of implementing.....

My thanks once again for the freely offered advice......:ok::ok:

42psi
6th Jun 2011, 06:16
Annother possible option might be to get the PC back to it's "as new configuration".

i.e. using the restore disks/partition (after backing up anything you want to keep).

The PC will then act as it did when new and you should find you get a new trial period in which to buy/activate.

Personally I'd go for the student version option :ok:

parabellum
6th Jun 2011, 07:40
The only problem I have found with Student versions is they don't include the mail programme Outlook and Outlook Express doesn't work with Win7, I believe.

MacBoero
6th Jun 2011, 11:36
There are free Office Document Viewer applications that can be downloaded from Microsoft. Fine if you only ever need to view, but not edit or change documents you have received.

Office Online File Converters and Viewers - Downloads - Office.com (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/office-online-file-converters-and-viewers-HA001044981.aspx)