PDA

View Full Version : C-130A?

Cleared Visual
4th Jun 2011, 12:06
I briefly saw a report on channel 9 (Australia) news tonight with footage of a ramp ceremony in Afghanistan following the sad loss of more Aussie troops and noticed something rather perculiar. Show from behind, the C-130 waiting to take home the remains appear to be fitted with 3 bladed propellers!

If i am not mistaken, this would make it an A model herc. I did a quick google search and the only recent reports of an operational A in all over grey paint with 3 blades is registered N131EC belongs to a company called Cherry Air Aviation. A page showing registration details of this company shows they have some interest in ad-hoc airlift work and "ambulatory services", but there was no official webpage.

Can anybody confirm any C130As are still flying with original 3 blade props?
Also, can anybody point me towards where i can get more info on Cherry Air Aviation?

Huyin
5th Jun 2011, 20:15
CV
Looks like it started life with the RAAF-see A97-212 - The Lockheed File (http://www.lockheed.adastron.com/hercules/a97-212.htm)

james solomon
6th Jun 2011, 09:44
Theres a non flying example at the RAAF Point Cook museum

The AvgasDinosaur
6th Jun 2011, 10:43
Quote from Cleared Visual
Also, can anybody point me towards where i can get more info on Cherry Air Aviation?
You could always try Langley or one of their myriad shell companies in Delaware, U.S.A. Although the old girl is actually registered in Louisiana.
Registered Owner
Name CHERRY AIR AVIATION SERVICES INC
Street 6746 HIGHWAY 1
City BOYCE State LOUISIANA
County RAPIDES Zip Code 71409-9298
Country UNITED STATES

C/n should be 3212
This photo does confirm 3 bladed props, in 2006
Photos: Lockheed C-130A Hercules (L-182) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Charlie-130-Corporation/Lockheed-C-130A-Hercules/1648507/L/)
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

Cleared Visual
8th Jun 2011, 13:07
Thanks David. I stopped short of posting my suspicions earlier that it looked like a shell company. Thought there might have been an obvious answer, but it seems either nobody noticed the particular bit of footage, or if they know they're not supposed to say anything...

Maybe i should get some sleep before i dwell on it any more!

con-pilot
8th Jun 2011, 15:00
You could always try Langley or one of their myriad shell companies in Delaware, U.S.A. Although the old girl is actually registered in Louisiana.

It is not a CIA or any other type of government 'shell' company. The name of the owner is Earl Cherry. He is a former corporate pilot and airshow aerobatic performer, performed in a 450HP Stearman with a wing walker. And yes, he lives in and comes from Louisiana.

We used to fly together.

No, I was not the wing walker. :p

Cleared Visual
8th Jun 2011, 23:06
Thanks CP.

I did some more googling and found some pictures of the old girl doing some meat bombing, a spectacular sight!

What is the likelihood that Earl Cherry's aircraft would be operating into Tarin Kowt? I would be very surprised after considering the above information! Are there any other known Hercs (excluding the D model for polar ops) that may be fitted with 3 blades for any reason? This has got me very intrigued!

con-pilot
9th Jun 2011, 16:34
Cleared Visual, I've not talked to Earl for a few years, however, I do know that a lot of business with the C-130 was governmental and not restricted to the US Government. Last time I did talk to him the C-130 was doing everything from mosquito control in florida to contracting out to the UN flying suppiles.

He wanted me to come to work with him a few years ago, but I was flying a Falcon 900EX at the time and didn't want to give my expense account. :p

I think I'll give him a call this weekend, now that he's famous here at Pprune. ;)

Old Fella
17th Sep 2011, 11:32
I understand that this particular aircraft, in which I have several hundred hours as a F/E in the RAAF, is/was the only operational C130A with AeroProducts propellers. I also have been told that the propellers may be, or may have already been, replaced by a new Sundstrand multi blade propeller similar to that fitted to the C130J. I would be extremely surprised if this aircraft was anywhere near Tarin Kowt. Earl Cherry has used it for many varied tasks, but I doubt ferrying Australian war dead from Afghanistan. It was probably a C130H of the RAAF which replaced the C130A's in 1978. Both the C130H and the C130J are used by the RAAF in the Middle East. The old girl is still useful after 53 years of service. :ok: