PDA

View Full Version : Fast Jets using LFA19??

Bubblewindow
4th Jun 2011, 10:19
Hi all,
Hopefully I'm not compromising OPSEC but I've heard Tonkas asking for the Belfast WX on Lon Mil and I've had a call off a mate saying he's spotted pairs of "fast Jets" (he's not into aviation so no types) around Antrim.
Just wondering is LFA19 regurlary used now that Op Banner has ceased??

When Im not flying Marpats I like to photograph aircraft in the Mach Loop but if their flying here in the Glens of Antrim would love to catch them there!

Cheers,
BW

Circuit Clear
4th Jun 2011, 13:27
During the mid 80`s, my occupation included the booking cell for LFA 19. One day I received a call from a trainee Harrier driver who honestly wanted to book numerous slots for his last pairs ride.
After picking my jaw up from the floor I explained the reason for denying his request...blah blah.. busiest helo place in Europe, no safe divs etc and how did he found out.
One of the instructors, wily old foxes, had suggested in all (dis)honesty, that LFA19 was a legitimate low level route!
I`m sure South Armagh would have boiled over after the first sortie!

diginagain
4th Jun 2011, 14:11
During the 94-96 break in hostilities, JATOC were asked to consider opening LFA19 to FJ. Frankly, I would have been happy to see a few Harriers flogging about south Armagh. Might have raised a few more complaints for Op SADDLE, though.

ian176
4th Jun 2011, 15:05
RAF Tornados cause a whirl over Northern Ireland skies - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/raf-tornados-cause-a-whirl-over-northern-ireland-skies-15132151.html)

Can't find the other link at the minute, but there were complaints from bandit country about the use of "Ireland" for war training. No doubt claims for dead cattle will be on the way to the MoD....

holyflyer
4th Jun 2011, 15:26
On the ground at Aldergrove 1st June 2011 (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34861)

TurbineTooHot
4th Jun 2011, 15:33
Cracking area, lovely terrain. Good place to fly. Why ever not.
:ok:

Thank you Ulster.:)

Bubblewindow
4th Jun 2011, 17:15
Thanks for the replies.
It's been 12 years since military jets have been heard in Ireland as a whole (other than airshows or the odd nav-ex). No matter what spin the papers put on it Ireland is a nation of aircraft lovers, sure a fair few aviation milestones have been achieved here, so I'm sure the appearance of FJ's at low level would be more then welcome by the average Joe.
But as was said , I'm sure there would also be a fair few farmers jumping on the bandwagon looking for compo for dead cows and the like (???)

Look at this poor cow that dropped dead due to this hawk....

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc315/machlooper/hawk01800pix.jpg

Cheers,
BW

eastern wiseguy
4th Jun 2011, 18:27
Keep 'em coming guys......:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
4th Jun 2011, 20:05
Bubblewindow,

Nice pic but its outside our limits, which are 850x850 - to prevent the page spreading laterally.

Please adjust soonest please.

PPP

Bubblewindow
4th Jun 2011, 21:17
Please adjust soonest please.

Will do! Can't get to resize it till morning, away from base.
Will remove if necessary ?

BW

airborne_artist
5th Jun 2011, 06:49
Pprune Pop - you need to ask the webmaster to install the image resizer add-on.

All info here (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118048). Example of it at work (http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=715780)

Bubblewindow
5th Jun 2011, 12:50
@holyflyer: thanks for that link. It confirms it wasn't a one off. I heard 'Fang 1 and 2' (9 Sqn, Marham) goin in also while I was in Wales for the ill fated 'Saxon Warrior'

Cheers,
BW

Cows getting bigger
5th Jun 2011, 18:56
It is indeed nice to see fast pointy things rattling around the Province. Just be aware that the average Irish GA pilot has become used to operating without the inconvenience of mixing it with 420kt warriors. There are a lot of microlights and a high number of grass strips. Furthermore, Rule 5 appears to be rather liberally interpreted. :)

I wonder if it is worth the MOD publicising their increased utilisation of LFA19 across the GA community?

eastern wiseguy
6th Jun 2011, 09:56
Cows...good point. I shall raise that with our Mil/ATC liaison bod....:)

PPRuNe Pop
6th Jun 2011, 11:15
Thanks AA I am working on it.

:ok:

Merged
6th Jun 2011, 18:28
What was so 'ill-fated' about SAXON WARRIOR? It looked pretty successful from where I was floating....

Bubblewindow
7th Jun 2011, 17:22
What was so 'ill-fated' about SAXON WARRIOR? It looked pretty successful from where I was floating....

I was on the ground in Wales for the second week of it to try catch some U.S Navy F-18's operating to/from the ranges when they called End-Ex 72hrs early due to the volcanic ash cloud. So I'll fated from my end of things if you can see my point?

Cheers,
BW

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Jun 2011, 17:23
Took a Hawk low level round Kent & Sussex in the '80s. It is just possible but the longest leg was under a minute and a half! Tick, t-shirt, never again. The map has measles.