PDA

View Full Version : Lovely, and a question

66fa0dd7
3rd Jun 2011, 23:40
Not long ago I was waiting for a flight and enjoyed a good view of the runway as a Dash 8 aircraft took off with a great engine sound.
I was just wondering what are the regulations of how far the viewing balcony or any "normall passenger" can be from an aircraft when not boarding or departing.

Hotel Tango
4th Jun 2011, 10:18
I don't think there is any "regulation" as such. It will also depend from country to country and there national security. In Germany there are airports with spectators balconies that come to within 100 meters of parked and taxying aircraft. Furthermore, you will find that many airports are surrounded by public land where you can get right underneath of approaching a/c only a few hundred meters from touchdown.

66fa0dd7
4th Jun 2011, 10:41
Ah right I see what you mean, is this judged by terrorism or harm to passengers?

chiglet
4th Jun 2011, 22:22
If you look at Manchester Airport on Goggle Earth, you will see three piers. Spectators were allowed on those piers for the sum of 5p. [plus 5p to get onto the balcony.
Closed years ago [Yes, I know that current Pier Alpha has been moved, and was not a spectator pier]