PDA

View Full Version : Do all Spitfires overfly Biggin Hill?

Landroger
3rd Jun 2011, 18:04
As a Scout Leader I am often at Downe Scout Camp, ever so slightly south-east of Biggin Hill. Last Saturday afternoon a late model, Invasion striped cannon Spitfire overflew pretty much east to west. It occurs to me that this is not an unusual circumstance.

I'm pretty sure both a Hurricane and a Spitfire - presumably the BBMF - overflew when I was there last, a couple of months ago and the time before that another Spitfire. Maybe there is one based there, but given how rare they are and how valuable, do they always do an overflight/salute if in the area?

Roger.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
3rd Jun 2011, 18:25
Maybe it's because there's a Mk9 based there......:ok:

G-PMNF
(http://www.airliners.net/photo/Supermarine-361-Spitfire/1779944/L/)

treadigraph
3rd Jun 2011, 21:51
As per Chuffer, plus there are one or two others there - AR213 plus at least one rebuild (I think...)

Rakshasa
4th Jun 2011, 03:29
Kent Spitfires and Sheringham Aviation both operate Spits from Biggin. The Sheringham Mk.I (AR213) is up for sale, so will probably be leaving there soon.
Fortunately, Kent Spitfires have another Mk.I under restoration to flight within the next 12 months.

PPRuNe Pop
4th Jun 2011, 06:06
It may also be that a VOR resides there, which serves very well transition to anywhere in the south.

Landroger
4th Jun 2011, 11:01
As usual, the PPRuNe expertise strikes again - thanks to all for the really rather encouraging information. Actually, not being a pilot, I'd forgotten the VOR to be honest Pop, although I remember it from my youth as having a sodium lamp 'searchlight' shining vertically from the centre of the array. :)

Lots of lovely memories of Biggin and I look forward to seeing - and almost more importantly hearing - more of those spine tingling aeroplanes. :ok:

Roger.

munky
25th Jun 2012, 19:58
Was it like this one? I took this from my garden, in Surrey about 5 or 6 miles west of Biggin.. this was taken 29th May 2011 (sorry it took me so long to reply)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t212/munky73/IMG_8153.jpg